Subaru WRX Forum banner

2004 STi vs 2006 M3

12K views 57 replies 16 participants last post by  AwdTurboWrx 
#1 ·
This happened a couple weeks ago, but I figured I'd put it up for the record. I was on the I-5 around 11PM in the middle of CA heading to SoCal. For those of you who've never traveled the I-5, it's just a long stretch of 2 lanes (in each direction).

Anyway, I wasn't really looking to race, but I think the guy in the M3 was bored, and was trying to get me to go. As we were getting through traffic, he was directly behind me, and we came to a clearing. I changed lanes to let him pull up to me and then go, but he floored it as soon as I started to change lanes. So he flew past me and then E-flashed me! lol

So after I came up to him again, and this time we were dead even when we started. We were going about 80, I dropped it to 4th and pulled about between 1/2-1 car length off the bat. He closed the distance by the time we were around 125, and pulled maybe 1/2 car length as we closed 140.

I didn't know his specs at the time, but when I came home and looked them up, it totally made sense. I was able to take him in the low end, while he ran me out at the top end.

My previous car peaked at very high rpm, so it was always paramount to shift as close to redline as possible. And, this was my tactic in the STi.

After that race, it felt to me as though I should've been shifting at 6500? When racing like this, where do you all shift?

See less See more
#2 ·
SubSmurfTi said:
After that race, it felt to me as though I should've been shifting at 6500? When racing like this, where do you all shift?
I don't street race, but pay the $80-100 it costs to get your car on a dyno for a printout - that will tell you the optimal shift point.

#4 ·
I've personally beaten many M3's on the highways and byways of "Mexico."

E46 M3's stock are not fast enough to keep up with me.

I am a modded out stock turbo STi protuned and the only close race I've had with an E46 M3 was an M3 with a chip, intake, exhaust, headers, and some other mods and we were pretty dam close at highway speeds.

#6 ·
Well, I never took any videos... but I can assure you I've beaten many M3's. I even raced a Supercharged Active Autowerke E46 M3 and I was neck a neck with him from 60-120mph. He was in S4 mode.... he didn't have it in S6 mode on his SMG, but I still was right there with him. I was on my race gas tune

#13 ·
i've got new nx kit with 150 jets begging to go in a ls2:wiggles:

#18 ·
I get told on the forums that my stories are not true... but there's no point of me making up these stories.

I've beaten lightly modded C5 LS1 Corvettes, M3's, SRT4's, GT mustangs, lightly modded 5.7L GTO, 6.0 GTO, etc... I've also lost to some of these cars as well.

Anything can happen. Oh and just for reference my car is pretty well modded with the right parts and tuning included. My race gas map on my STi makes 330whp and 400wtrq on a dynojet.

G
#20 · (Edited)
I get told on the forums that my stories are not true... but there's no point of me making up these stories.
Sure there is. Bragging, boasting, car discussion, whatever you want to call it ;)

I've beaten lightly modded C5 LS1 Corvettes, M3's, SRT4's, GT mustangs, lightly modded 5.7L GTO, 6.0 GTO, etc... I've also lost to some of these cars as well.
I'm not surprised you beat up on SRT-4s or Mustang GTs (joke of a car. Try a Cobra, Mach 1, or a Saleen) if you really have 330whp and 400wtq. Little harder to believe the GTOs, Corvettes, and M3s though... (and I assume those are all E36 and E46 M3s? Ever try on the E92?)

Anything can happen. Oh and just for reference my car is pretty well modded with the right parts and tuning included. My race gas map on my STi makes 330whp and 400wtrq on a dynojet.
Car to post a dyno sheet? Also, are you tuned on E85? Or just 105+ octane? If so, bet that's expensive! Are you running meth or nitrous or anything?

Can you tell us all your mods? Within reason... like your power mods. I don't care to know what scent your air freshener is.

G
#28 · (Edited)
It's all good man.... BS is something that can happen when a car that shouldn't win does.
Defying physics, yes, that is BS.

As far as my mods go I have: intake, downpipe, full exhaust, fuel pump, port and polished Grimmspeed headers, Upgraded TMIC, 2 step colder plugs, etc, etc.....
And you have 330whp and 400wtq? :baaa:

I used to have a friend who put the VF39 on his 06 WRX. He didn't even make 300whp. I think he made 290-something on a really high reading dyno. You would need a bigger/better turbo than the VF39 to be getting 330whp, even on a high reading dyno. My friend also only had 340-something wtq. Again, there is no way you made nearly 60 more wtq than him on the VF39.

My tuning is done here: ..:: Welcome to TopSpeed Inc (..:: Welcome to TopSpeed Inc)
I looked them up before you even posted this. You still didn't provide a name of a tuner. That's the most important part. I could tell you I got tuned by Mac Autosport (local tuner), but what if it was Sue the receptionist/secretary lady who did my tuning? :whoa:

You see, all I am getting at is that if you cannot even convince us of your power numbers, how are we supposed to believe your wild car-beating stories?

G
#35 ·
I thought we were suppose to be a community of Enthusiasts not, "Pick on the guy who can't back up his ****"
But at the same time, we can't have someone running around embarrassing the community with wild claims about kills, etc ;) Just trying to keep everyone honest, that's all.

If I told you I had 400hp, wouldn't you want to know how I got that?

#47 ·
330whp on a vf39 tuned for leaded race gas isn't unreasonable in the least bit. I expect around the same if not more when I tune on E85 after the summer blended E85 comes back.

I myself have 1/4 mile time slips beating C5s, C6's, ISF's, AMGs, SVT cobras, M3's, stock EVOs, supercharged muscle cars, etc. (and even a couple of motorcycles!) all on 91oct with a VF39 and not much else. The driver has a lot to do with the outcome of a race.

A lot more goes into drag racing than just the power of the car. The 60ft, the shift points, the power band, the final drive, driver aids, and the skill of the driver all are just as, if not more important than how much power the car produces.

#48 ·
And yes.. I'm only tuned to 17psi for my 293whp, which is corrected to sea-level.

#51 ·
I guess there just isn't much on the road that's a match for a WRX or STi
Like you alluded to earlier.. throw 10,000 dollars in performance parts into anything and there won't be much of a match for it.

I beat a GSX-R once, and a Harley V-Rod another time at bandimere. I shouldn't have had a chance in hell at winning either of those races. But I did. All I'm saying is crazier things have happened than what this guy is claiming.

My biggest point was the fact that there's much more to a race than just the # that comes off of the dyno. Whomever this guy raced may have been a severe amateur driver, or someone that was scared of his car, or someone that was scared to ruin something... We don't know the full story, and never will.

#50 ·
Wait wait wait, you guys are actually arguing with the guy cause you think STI's can't pull on e46 m3's on the highway or whatever if they only have stage 2 and a tune? MMM, been in the situation, done that. E46 is no big deal on the highway when you have a stage 2 STI. (or when I had :redface:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.