Can a WRX beat IS350 - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can a WRX beat IS350 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I implore you guys to check out this NASIOC thread: Track car: the sti just won't do forever... What to ...

Wrinklechops
    I implore you guys to check out this NASIOC thread:

Track car: the sti just won't do forever... What to get???

Lot of Miata, S2000, and Corvette discussion in there.

Most people voted for the Corvette Z06 for many reasons: power, handling, parts availability and accessibility (available at any local NAPA) and relative affordability, and reliability.

There were some definite Miata and S2000 enthusiasts there too though. Good info in that thread.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Id drive a Vette, 370Z, or an LNF powered sky or solstice (think OPEL GT) Buying a miata, turboing it, and running into lots of reliability issues doesnt sound like that much fun.... Mazdas are hardly dependable enough stock. Of course, if i ever recieved proper instruction, I could do ALOT of damage with my car on a circuit even with the wrong wheel drive
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    Of course, if i ever recieved proper instruction, I could do ALOT of damage with my car on a circuit even with the wrong wheel drive
    Yea, those turbo Cobalt SS's are supposed to be extremely good at handling, despite being FWD. It was slightly faster around the Nurburgring than the 04 STi

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The question is certainly not "can FWD be fast" it is "do you want to be driving FWD fast". It is just different. I've had plenty of fun with FWD but it is not what I want at this time.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by pepper06 View Post
    I once saw an early 90's miata advertised on ebay with a small-block V8 in it. This wasn't any show car either--I think it had 70-80k miles on it.

Now that would be one helluva car.

Even if a 4-cylinder isn't for you, you cannot at all argue with the performance of an elise. Over here in Europe I rolled up to this gorgeous brand new one painted baby blue with orange pinstripes (kinda like an old GT-40!) and it completely left me behind at a light. Granted, I eventually caught up and presented a friendly yet jealous wave. That kind of performance--basically a 4-second 0-60, at that price can't be put down.

Then again....practicality is a very different story. But, then again, I wouldn't necessarily buy a high-end sports car to be used as a DD either.
    So how common are WRX's in Germany?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Forget all those... my perfect track car would be a 911 GT3 (RS maybe?). Or how about the GT2.

Of course, I don't have $130k plus laying around.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    The question is certainly not "can FWD be fast" it is "do you want to be driving FWD fast". It is just different. I've had plenty of fun with FWD but it is not what I want at this time.

For the folks at NASIOC - these come in around $35K with a tube steel frame and weigh in <1500 lbs.:

Road course STi powered 550: Video: STI-powered Porsche 550 Spyder replica Michael Banovsky

Turbo 550 spyder doing 100 in the 1/8th:
    YouTube - Porsche 550 Spyder Turbo Drag Strip Run

Subie powered 550 on the track:
    YouTube - Subaru powered 550 Spyder replica

Walking a ford GT??
    YouTube - Subaru Spyder Bathurst Conrod Straight Supersprint

11.0 @126:
    YouTube - 550 1/4 mile
    Last edited by mycologist; 12-10-2009 at 04:00 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    For the folks at NASIOC - these come in around $35K with a tube steel frame and weigh in <1500 lbs.:
    I've driven a mid-engined car as a daily driver routinely since 1997. I still do not think I'd do all that great in something with the motor behind me and 2 kg or less per HP. I'd make it out of the paddock probably but it'd get expensive after that.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I've driven a mid-engined car as a daily driver routinely since 1997. I still do not think I'd do all that great in something with the motor behind me and 2 kg or less per HP. I'd make it out of the paddock probably but it'd get expensive after that.
    Yeah, I have shopped MR2s a bit as well. Very appealing.

I would probably start with the aircooled VW setup. It is supposed to be very well behaved:

YouTube - Chamonix Cars - TV Show WSBT in USA

All the right noises too:
    YouTube - Porsche Spyder Road Test
    Last edited by mycologist; 12-10-2009 at 04:36 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Those look nice and I could potentially control them.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wrinklechops
    In that NASIOC thread I posted, there was Lotus Exige/Elise chatter, as well as Porsche 911 talk. Some mentioned an older E36 M3 or a Z3 variant. There's lots of good cars to consider.

When it comes to track cars, obviously the cost to push them like that every weekend is a factor. It's much different than building a huge horsepower motor/car combo that is only great for the 1/4 mile.

Things likes pads, rotors, tires, etc become an issue. Some cars eat them up more than others, but obviously any car you're going to track is going to chew up stuff more than a daily driver.

Personally, I've never seen anything as reliable as a Miata on track (as long as the engine is relatively stock). However, they're just not that much fun after a while, because no matter how fast you are, the slower driver comes right back on the straights, every time. I sometimes take my almost-stock WRX to the track instead of my Spec Miata, just to get away from that phenomenon.

For those reasons, I say get a Corvette. They take a lot of punishment, can stick with a Miata in the corners, and run with just about anything on the straights. Plus, they're relatively cheap and really don't need anything but safety gear and brake pads to be really fast! I've been asking the "what after the Miata" question for a while now, and that's the answer I come up with.

Event after event, race after race, the Corvettes are ALWAYS at the front of the pack. The Porsches are sometimes there, the Lotuses are skattered all over the place (but are so fragile it's scary), and everything else just pales in comparison. An S2k? C'mon. An NSX? Ever seen one run through an entire event?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Those look nice and I could potentially control them.

Watch the steering wheel in the very first link - he is barely working. Looks easy

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Things likes pads, rotors, tires, etc become an issue. Some cars eat them up more than others, but obviously any car you're going to track is going to chew up stuff more than a daily driver.
    The costs can add up quickly and I think or would like to think that even if I were very affluent I'd not use my road car, or even my own car of any type, on a track. There are arrive-and-drive programmes that start look really appealing for people that think this way in my opinion. You take your road car, get on the road, show up at the track, money changes hands, and someone else's car is ready for you to drive. When you're done, your car with brakes that still work and the shiny side still up is ready for you to drive it home. As an idea I find that attractive.

I Support ClubWRX
    There is a certain appeal of taking the car you drive evry day and finally getting to fully wring it out but I agree that is heavily offset by the lack of insurance if you botch it.

Still, take 1500 pounds off the car and it uses up a lot less stuff. Plus with VW components and practically nothing in the car upkeep should be minimal. I would sort of need a heater though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post

Road course STi powered 550:
    Holy carp..I'm in love.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast