Can a WRX beat IS350 - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can a WRX beat IS350 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Pavia I can attest to that. I've beaten an IS-F in the GTO (with a LS2 w/ ...

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    I can attest to that. I've beaten an IS-F in the GTO (with a LS2 w/ bolt-ons and tune).
    Pav, what gearing does the GTO have? 3.42?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

an IS350 could be a drivers race with a C5, mid 13s at 106. an LS2 or LS3, no way
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

Quote Originally Posted by Anzioblack44 View Post
    an IS350 could be a drivers race with a C5, mid 13s at 106. an LS2 or LS3, no way
    Where did you get C5 LS1 Vettes run only mid 13's at 106 mph?

The Camaro and Firebird with a bit less power and more weight ran those times.

The C5 Vette's ran low 13's @ 109+ with 0-60 times in the 4.3-4.4 second time.
    The IS350 would get walked by a C5 Vette too.

IS350's do mid 5's 0-60 and high 13's @ 102-103 mph.

You have to go back to the early 90's to find a Vette that's comparable to that time, and even then the later C4 Vettes still had 330-340 hp and would probably still better high 13's @ 103 mph

yes i agree a c6 is withought a doubt faster then the is350 there is not question. after he caught up at 80 from a fairly bad take off yes he was walking rather quickly. not raping though.

Quote Originally Posted by Score_it66 View Post
    look up a 2006 c6. DIP SHI

112 to 114. thats it!

and a 2005 is350 which is my cousins did 5.2-5.3 0-60 which is low 5 not mid. lol wow.

exactly 1 second slower than the c6. 1 second is like a length difference, plus if the vette was auto it would be slower then there recorded 4.2.
    Who you calling a DS?
    And who said a LS2 C6 runs any faster than a 114 mph trap?
    Your cousin did 5.2-5.3 0-60?? Where and on what track and measured how?
    BTW, 5.3 to me is mid 5's
    Low 5's is = 5.0 to 5.2
    Mid 5's is = 5.3 to 5.6
    High 5's is = 5.7 to 5.9
    Most IS350's run mid 5's 0-60

Time to speed is completely different than time to distance, so it's pure lack of experience and knowledge for anyone to say 1 second in 0-60 is equal to 1 CL.
    A car can do 0-60 mph SLOWER than another car but be ahead of the car that does 0-60 mph FASTER.
    So go easy on your sarcastic "wow's" and "LOL" when you don't know what you are talking about. It only makes you look more foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Pav, what gearing does the GTO have? 3.42?
    close, 3.46
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

wow... lol NO a wrx cannot in stock form beat an is350. My cousin has one and beat a c6 corvette all the way to 80 today. a wrx certainly cannot stay with the vette.
    yes i agree a c6 is withought a doubt faster then the is350 there is not question. after he caught up at 80 from a fairly bad take off yes he was walking rather quickly. not raping though.
    See this is where you weren't clear (though we all knew the Vette had a bad launch for an IS350 to beat it to 80 anyway). Your cousin did not "beat" a C6 vette to 80, he beat a bad driver in a C6 vette.

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Am I missing the inside joke re: the waffles??

Those strawberries are definitely in season though.

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    The WRX is still better than the IS350 as a whole, dollar for dollar. Enough said.
    :
    ARe you sure?? The stereo system in the IS350 is a $1000 upgrade minimum over the WRX alone. Still fast, has tons of trinkets AND they actually use real leather in those things. the ladies like that.

don't hate

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    An 09 WRX in my eyes will murder a IS350. I rape IS250's I mean like the car is going in reverse with my 08 - this is with the car on "sport" mode.
    This is funny^^

Quote Originally Posted by theiguy View Post
    IMHO: If you love your car, who cares what it can beat and by how much.
    This is a hater^^
    Gonads produce testosterone, and testosterone naturally produces a competitive drive to overcome and be better than the other guy. Survival of the fittest did not die with cro magnon men. It still lives in the driver seat of a ....[choose your whip].

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
    Your cousin did not "beat" a C6 vette to 80, he beat a bad driver in a C6 vette.
    Or an automatic Corvette with 2.73 gears Would love to see that race past 80 though, for sure. The IS350 wouldn't even be able to read the Vette's plates.

Going from my WRX to my Jeep is obviously just about the most opposite jump one could make. But I do have one observation... interestingly enough, at about 80mph, the Jeep still pulls crazy hard. This could have something to do with the stock turbo I have on the WRX, granted, but there is still something to be said for the V8 engine. Breathes better up top I think.

Corvette: 300-400hp+, depending on model/engine/etc. IS350: 300hp and 277tq.

In the end, wouldn't we all rather have the Corvette anyways? I mean, seriously
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 12-08-2009 at 01:12 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    In the end, wouldn't we all rather have the Corvette anyways? I mean, seriously
    No.

The IS has its drawbacks but I think its advantages outweigh the Chevrolet's. Although the Corvette is very fast, it is not interesting.

I don't know whether the IS is interesting; however, since the Chevrolet is not, and the IS might be for all I know... etc.

EDIT: I'll say that there is one interesting Corvette model that's been produced during my lifetime: the 1983. That one, I'd buy. It's got the L83 motor with 200 HP, the bizarre suspension, and I think the electronic dash. Also, around 2 years ago there were some very compelling deals to be had on Corvettes in the US, I even looked into it.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 12-08-2009 at 09:18 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No.

The IS has its drawbacks but I think its advantages outweigh the Chevrolet's. Although the Corvette is very fast, it is not interesting.

I don't know whether the IS is interesting; however, since the Chevrolet is not, and the IS might be for all I know... etc.
    Great, here we go again. Hopefully we can steer this away from an anti-American car debate, but I cannot help but note that you are not from nor do you currently reside in any even semi permenant capacity in the United States. Does this make you less qualified in any way? No. But I just wanted to point that out before I proceed. Hopefully I won't get banned for what I am about say. God have mercy on me. Ray, give me a warning if I'm crossing the line please before another time out!

Spiros, have you ever driven a Corvette or ridden in one? Maybe one that has more than 200hp? I'm talking C5 styles and above. The fact that you don't find it interesting is fine, but you cannot reason the whole based on assumptions from the parts alone and vice versa. I know you don't like Chevrolet and think there is nothing exciting or "interesting" or exotic about them, but that doesn't mean that the Corvette is immediately boring simply because it is a Chevy.

The C5 ZO6 is a well known performer, on and off the track. 400hp in a 3000lb-ish car not only goes fast like you said, but handles amazingly well too. Dont even get me started on the new Corvette ZR1, unless you find that car uninteresting as well?

I guess I'm sort of at a loss for further words. I don't know a single person (in the US here) that wouldn't rather have a Corvette (especially a Z06 variant) over a Lexus any day of the week. And for the sake of my argument, we are not talking daily driver cars here either. The Corvette is in a league above any mid level Lexus, that's for sure. Even if we bring the performance model of Lexus's lineup, the IS-F, the Covette would still probably run circles around it at the track or elsewhere.

Last I checked, the Corvette was not only a great performing car but also a sort of historical part of our country and an icon of our car industry and something to be proud of. This makes it an "interesting" car to me, many people on this forum probably, and many people in this country and around the world.

Do, praytell, enlighten me as to what makes the Lexus more appealing to you though, for the sake of discussion

If a car that has hand built engines not used in any other car and has had a cult following for 50 years isn't the least bit interesting to you, what is? Certainly not a boring 3.5 V6 engine in a Lexus that has been used in countless other Toyotas?

From its inception 50 years ago, GM's small-block V-8 has been a mainstay and favorite of the performance world. Nothing, however, in the production history of this respected eight-cylinder icon comes close to matching the performance of the all-new, 505-horsepower LS7 small-block.
    All LS7 engines are assembled by hand at GM's new Performance Build Center in Wixom , Mich. The exacting standards to which they are built include deck-plate boring and honing of the cylinders and even crank line-boring of the block with the deck plates and side bolts installed - procedures normally associated with the building of racing engines and almost unheard of in a production-vehicle engine.

"In many ways, the LS7 is a racing engine in a street car," said Dave Muscaro, assistant chief engineer of small-block V-8 for passenger cars. "We've taken much of what we've learned over the years from the 7.0-liter C5R racing program and instilled it here. There really has been nothing else like it offered in a GM production vehicle."

Indeed, the LS7's engineers spent as much time at racetracks as they did at engine dynamometers. Everything from the cylinder heads to the unique dry-sump oiling system has a direct line back to the racing program. But while the LS7 has racing roots, it delivers its performance with uncompromising smoothness and tractability - qualities that make the Corvette Z06 a daily-drivable supercar.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 12-08-2009 at 11:32 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Great, here we go again. Hopefully we can steer this away from an anti-American car debate,
    We were never engaged in one; I am not anti-US car. Most nations have produced both good and bad cars.

but I cannot help but note that you are not from...
    Correct.

nor do you currently reside in any even semi permenant capacity in the United States.
    I do actually. I've spent decades in the US and am currently in the US.

Does this make you less qualified in any way? No.
    It may make me less emotionally attached to specific cultural icons, since I do not share that view or reverence. I doubt I ever will.

But I just wanted to point that out before I proceed. Hopefully I won't get banned for what I am about say. God have mercy on me. Ray, please just listen to what I'm going to say.
    This is a civil and friendly discussion within the rules as far as I can tell. If we follow the rules we will not get banned.

have you ever driven a Corvette or ridden in one?
    Yes.

Maybe one that has more than 200hp? I'm talking C5 styles and above.
    Yes.

I know you don't like Chevrolet and think there is nothing exciting or "interesting" or exotic about them, but that doesn't mean that the Corvette is immediately boring simply because it is a Chevy.
    I have nothing against Chevrolet. In fact I can name several Chevrolets I really liked, including the Silverado 2500HD, the Forester (heh...), the El Camino, almost anything H U G E from the 70s or earlier, particularly if it's a wagon, and so on.

The C5 ZO6 is a well known performer, on and off the track. 400hp in a 3000lb-ish car not only goes fast like you said, but handles amazingly well too. Dont even get me started on the new Corvette ZR1, unless you find that car uninteresting as well?
    I never said they are underpowered, or slow, or that they are not fast. In fact, I've said just the opposite -- I started off stating they are very fast. Even rocket fast judging by the numbers. No question.

I don't know a single person (in the US here) that wouldn't rather have a Corvette (especially a Z06 variant) over a Lexus any day of the week.
    Potentially, you do know at least one...

And for the sake of my argument, we are not talking daily driver cars here either. The Corvette is in a league above any mid level Lexus, that's for sure.
    This isn't a universally held ideal; after all, I don't quite share it.

Even if we bring the performance model of Lexus's lineup, the IS-F, the Covette would still probably run circles around it at the track or elsewhere.
    Granted. Let's assume it's faster than any Toyota, ever. Remember, I never claimed it was slow. Repeat: it's very fast.

Last I checked, the Corvette was not only a great performing car but also a sort of historical part of our country and our car industry and something to be proud of. This makes it an "interesting" car to me, many people on this forum probably, and many people in this country and around the world.
    I haven't seen any sales figures outside its home market, where it enjoys a halo status for whatever reason, but I have only seen a few outside North America. Keep in mind that even losing the "Chevrolet" badge -- as it has in some of its export markets -- may not have helped much as far as I can tell (the figures would be interesting to see and compare to similarly priced cars etc.) Now, since the USD is very weak nowadays maybe the Corvette price is improving, I don't know.

Do, praytell, enlighten me as to what makes the Lexus more appealing to you though, for the sake of discussion
    On the outside, the styling is more acceptable. Although the Corvette has improved (it no longer makes me wonder whether the car came with a free banjo) its styling is still loud. The Lexus is much more understated, especially in gray. The Corvette has, well, "Corvette" almost everywhere, or that badge. The tail, the nose, the ****pit, inside, outside, all over. It's a bit too much for me.

On the inside, the Corvette's stance make it a bit of a chore to enter/exit, especially when parked in urban environments with tall sidewalks. On older (80s/90s) versions, the driving position wasn't ideal and the controls were odd (the pedals were huge and felt like rudders, the gearbox was strange until they switched to the ZF -- I think -- unit, and the fit wasn't great). I do like the later seats though, they fit well but aren't fatiguing.

Also, I tend to buy the dealer, not just the car, and my personal experiences have made me favour Toyota over GM dealerships.

A while ago there were great deals on Corvettes, and if you searched you could pick one up for $40K or so. I think the people that did so, or the ones that picked up a mildly used example when the market began to plummet got a very fast car at a very good price.

Did they get an interesting car? That's not quantifiable, so numbers/stats/etc. aren't really going to affect my view. Keep in mind I've been critical of a European car with twice the Corvette's HP too (not to mention a Japanese car with comparable HP). It's not an anti-Chevy thing, and it's not an anti-US thing. It's about finding a car appealing enough to be moved by it somehow. Some cars do it, others do not. The ones that do not can be extremely fast, it makes no difference to me -- and when manufacturers try to improve them, they typically don't succeed... All they do is make them faster.

If a car that has hand built engines not used in any other car and has had a cult following for 50 years isn't the least bit interesting to you, what is? Certainly not a boring 3.5 V6 engine in a Lexus that has been used in countless other Toyotas?
    There are worse hand-built cars than the Corvette, admittedly. What's interesting? That's a good question actually. It's hard to put my finger on it. Here's a list of interesting cars. I doubt this will clarify anything except that it's not numbers, it's not HP, it's not country of origin, but here goes off the top of my head:

American-made cars:
    1983 Corvette
    2002+ Silverado HP
    VW Beetle (air-cooled, made in MX or BR)
    Honda Pilot 06-08 (made in CA or US)
    Chrysler New Yorker or 5th Avenue
    Any large wagon
    Lincoln Continental

Asian-made cars:
    Ford Econoline van (the US model, imported from TR)
    Toyota Celica "Carlos Sainz"
    Honda S800
    Nissan 240RS

European cars:
    Citroen 2CV
    Porsche 959
    Austin Mini
    Hillman Imp
    Jensen Interceptor FF

Some are slow, some are fast. I think we're at an impasse since what's interesting often has little to do with quantifiable numbers/measures/stats.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 12-08-2009 at 11:52 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

There's no was in a Million years that I'd take a Lexus over a Vette. Even a non z06!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.