Can a WRX beat IS350 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can a WRX beat IS350 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I said most of that in my previous post -- that once you reach a certain level the extra cylinders ...

I said most of that in my previous post -- that once you reach a certain level the extra cylinders do help make power without breakage.

Fast cars owned by speed shops are a dime a dozen. Name the car and you'll find plenty of fast examples. The Audi vs. Ferrari simply means the Audi is trapping in the 120-123 mph range. Ditch Subaru's weak pistons and you can do the same with an otherwise stock engine with a big enough turbo.

I've built v6's. I've built a 500+whp Supra. My Stealth reached 90 in 7.8 seconds with nothing but a downpipe, MBC, and injectors. That's a 4000lb car with early 1990s technology and turbos so small you could hang one on your keychain, and I did it 7 years ago. A decade newer Audi with fat cash thrown at it should run a tenth or two quicker to 60.

I looked at the S4 before deciding on a new Legacy. I wanted something easier to work on and with the exception of the PITA spark plugs, my car is really easy to mod. With the Green the power delivery is equal to any v6 and if I had a 6spd I'd call it perfect. That won't be optional once power levels go much past 400; I'll then be shopping for a 6spd swap.

Once I have something other than the stock clutch I'll datalog a 0-60 run. Even at only 15 psi I won't have any trouble hitting the 4 second range, and at 22+ it's a certainty.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I said most of that in my previous post -- that once you reach a certain level the extra cylinders do help make power without breakage.

Fast cars owned by speed shops are a dime a dozen. Name the car and you'll find plenty of fast examples. The Audi vs. Ferrari simply means the Audi is trapping in the 120-123 mph range. Ditch Subaru's weak pistons and you can do the same with an otherwise stock engine with a big enough turbo.

I've built v6's. I've built a 500+whp Supra. My Stealth reached 90 in 7.8 seconds with nothing but a downpipe, MBC, and injectors. That's a 4000lb car with early 1990s technology and turbos so small you could hang one on your keychain, and I did it 7 years ago. A decade newer Audi with fat cash thrown at it should run a tenth or two quicker to 60.

I looked at the S4 before deciding on a new Legacy. I wanted something easier to work on and with the exception of the PITA spark plugs, my car is really easy to mod. With the Green the power delivery is equal to any v6 and if I had a 6spd I'd call it perfect. That won't be optional once power levels go much past 400; I'll then be shopping for a 6spd swap.

Once I have something other than the stock clutch I'll datalog a 0-60 run. Even at only 15 psi I won't have any trouble hitting the 4 second range, and at 22+ it's a certainty.
    That's good stuff John, your car sounds really fast. I never doubted its potential to be fast either, nor your knowledge or experience with building fast cars. A man such of your stature then should appreciate and acknowledge the B5's stock performance and it's modified potential. Stock for stock it's faster than a WRX or LGT. Mod for mod (not money wise), it's almost still faster as well. I mean if you're throwing the Ko4 turbos on there and more, that is.

So what conclusion are we coming to? That a Subaru (LGT, WRX, STi) is good to 400, 500hp but after that you've hit a limit? I know you say you can run big power on a Subaru motor simply by upgrading the pistons... but I take issue on that point to the extent that it's probably not going to last as long with that kind of power output/abuse. Neither will the tranny.

The S4 only needs "minor" upgrades such as turbos, intercoolers, injectors, and a tune. Their 6spd is very strong. The car is very capable of 500hp very easily, and it doesn't take a speed shop to get it done. What I mean is, this is not some kind of "dime a dozen" performance built setup...people are doing this quite often with their daily driven S4 setups as we do with our Subarus.

I guess I don't really know where this is going. Subarus are great, Audis are too. Your LGT sounds mean as hell. The Audi S4 (B5) is an amazing platform as well.

I guess it all comes down to $$$... of which I have not enough to be dabbling in 400 and 500hp territory on any engine. If you do, more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by shorjai View Post
    Can a regular WRX without any Mod beat the IS350....???? please give me some feedback on this one.

thanks
    No....
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    No....
    way to revive a dead thread.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

wow... lol NO a wrx cannot in stock form beat an is350. My cousin has one and beat a c6 corvette all the way to 80 today. a wrx certainly cannot stay with the vette. the 2009 wrx may be able to hang to 60 but after that were talkin at least a length or two. but other then the 09.. RAPE

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Score_it66 View Post
    wow... lol NO a wrx cannot in stock form beat an is350. My cousin has one and beat a c6 corvette all the way to 80 today. a wrx certainly cannot stay with the vette. the 2009 wrx may be able to hang to 60 but after that were talkin at least a length or two. but other then the 09.. RAPE
    Guess it depends on what year IS350.

I Support ClubWRX
    An IS-F maybe...IS350...I doubt.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Wrx will outlaunch it, is350 will reel it in by the end of the 1/4
    2011 SWP 5 door WRX LIMITED

My cousin has one and beat a c6 corvette all the way to 80 today.
    An IS350 won't stay in the same city block vs a car that traps 115+ mph stock.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

The Vette owner wasn't racing from the get go then or was just a terrible driver.
    LS3 powered C6 Vettes trap 116-117 mph.
    The 103-104 mph trapping IS350 would be looking at the taillights of the vette by the time they hit 40 mph and the vettes license plate would be unreadable to the IS350 driver by the time the vette was doing 100 mph.
    The Vette will be two bus lengths in front by the 1/4.

Let's keep it real, really.

09+ WRX will easily outlaunch a stock IS350 and probably hold it off through the 1/4 mile, but IS350 would probably pull even shortly thereafter and pull away from there. That is of course at sea level.

From a roll, the IS350 would slowly pull away.

In say Denver, the IS350 would lose to the 09+ WRX probably at any time, at any speed.
    Last edited by Driver72; 12-05-2009 at 03:08 PM.

not sure where you got your figures.. but a 2006 c6 NOT zo6 traps 113 at SEA LEVEL with a 12.7. the is350 is about 1 second slower 0-60 and in the qaurter. so with a bad launch in the vetter. or just not a perfect one. lets say wheel spin? YES the is could hold it pretty good to 80. Im at 5800 elevation.

I Support ClubWRX
    not sure where you got your figures.. but a 2006 c6 NOT zo6 traps 113 at SEA LEVEL with a 12.7. the is350 is about 1 second slower 0-60 and in the qaurter. so with a bad launch in the vetter. or just not a perfect one. lets say wheel spin? YES the is could hold it pretty good to 80. Im at 5800 elevation.
    A C6 anything is going to clear the floor with a IS350.

Period...no debate....it wont happen. It's not magazine racing at all. There is a huge performance gap.

The IS-F is a different breed.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Well yes, if we are talking about the older LS2 C6 it traps in the 113-114 mph range.
    As for your elevation, both the IS350 and the Corvette are Naturally Aspirated, so it affects BOTH cars equally, so that's irrelevant.

But regardless if it's a 113-114 mph trapping LS2 C6 Corvette or the current 116-117 mph trapping LS3 Corvette, the IS350 stands absolutely zero chance if the Corvette driver was trying from the get go, or knows how to drive the car.
    My guess is, with your cousins race, your cousin took off and the Corvette driver probably was not aware he was going to race, then said, "oh you want to run, ok", then nailed it and caught your cousin by 80 and would jog on by.

Put it this way, if your cousin owned an IS-F he'd have a hard time running the 2006 LS2 Corvette. The Corvette weighs hundreds of pounds less, but only has 14 hp less.
    The only thing that would keep the IS-F close would be the 8 speed gearing.
    And the IS-F would get walked by an LS3 Corvette.

As for the original topic at hand, IS350 vs WRX, it clearly depends on what year WRX and at what elevation.
    I'd take a 09-10 WRX over an IS350 in a race at your 5800 feet elevation, that's for sure.

Wrinklechops
    I'm guessing you guys are referring to the non-Z06 Corvettes

Keep in mind that gearing has a huge role to play in things. I could be wrong, but I doubt Lexus offers their IS series cars (even the F variant) with many options for final drive ratios.

I had a friend once who's dad had a C5 Corvette, but it was the automatic and it had 2.73 gears I think? Slower than lard off the line, but would probably kill you up top.

Most Corvettes come with the 3.42 gears I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
    Put it this way, if your cousin owned an IS-F he'd have a hard time running the 2006 LS2 Corvette. The Corvette weighs hundreds of pounds less, but only has 14 hp less.
    The only thing that would keep the IS-F close would be the 8 speed gearing.
    And the IS-F would get walked by an LS3 Corvette.
    I can attest to that. I've beaten an IS-F in the GTO (with a LS2 w/ bolt-ons and tune).
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.