Can a WRX beat IS350 - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on Can a WRX beat IS350 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Uhmm... don't tell me about pricing when I clearly know people who have the cars in question - if you ...

Uhmm... don't tell me about pricing when I clearly know people who have the cars in question - if you get jacked @ dealers maybe you should work on your negotiating skills

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    The 335 and IS350 are not close in price. Equipped equivalently, the BMW is about $7,000 more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I had one of those infiniti's that look like a nicer 350z trying to out drive me on some curvy roads....the guy still had the temp tags on it and the thing sounded pretty crappy in my honest opinion...kinda ricey sounding...bleh....sure didn't sound like a WRX!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    Uhmm... don't tell me about pricing when I clearly know people who have the cars in question - if you get jacked @ dealers maybe you should work on your negotiating skills
    Compare apples to apples, which is MSRP, and you will find that equivalently equipped, the Lexus is much cheaper. If you can live with plastic seats, no NAV etc., the price of the BMW will be more in line with the Lexus. I use MSRP as reference because it is the only common point of comparison.

I used to work in the car business (my delership sold between 400 and 700 cars a month) so I know a bit about negotiating.

I know what the guy with the 335i paid for his car, and I know what the guy in the IS350 paid for his car - it isn't 7k difference that's for sure.

I don't like BMW or Lexus personally - Porsche FTW! Go big or go home!

If you used to work in the car business like you state then you should know every deal on a car sold is different, what Joe bought today doesnt mean Todd will get tomorrow or Uncle Harry next week, or Cousin Jeff next month - you see where I'm going with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Compare apples to apples, which is MSRP, and you will find that equivalently equipped, the Lexus is much cheaper. If you can live with plastic seats, no NAV etc., the price of the BMW will be more in line with the Lexus. I use MSRP as reference because it is the only common point of comparison.

I used to work in the car business (my delership sold between 400 and 700 cars a month) so I know a bit about negotiating.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most BMW/Lexus buyers do not choose their cars so that they can have bragging rights on the street-racing scene. Beautiful, well-engineered cars, IMO.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Most BMW/Lexus buyers do not choose their cars so that they can have bragging rights on the street-racing scene. Beautiful, well-engineered cars, IMO.
    I agree I think they're both very compelling cars and I'd be hard pressed to decide between the two. If my choice were driven purely by logic I'd probably opt for the Lexus but I don't know honestly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    I know what the guy with the
    If you used to work in the car business like you state then you should know every deal on a car sold is different, what Joe bought today doesnt mean Todd will get tomorrow or Uncle Harry next week, or Cousin Jeff next month - you see where I'm going with this.
    My point exactly. That's why MSRP is the best basis of comparison.

IMHO:

When my mustang still ran I hated when people would try to road race me to see if they could beat me. If you love your car, who cares what it can beat and by how much.

Lexus, BMW, Audi, they're status symbols to most people and the drivers only bought it impress someone.

just my

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by theiguy View Post

Lexus, BMW, Audi, they're status symbols to most people and the drivers only bought it impress someone.
    Except stuff like this:

My friend owns a B5 Audi S4 and without a doubt he bought it for the performance factor....which sadly will own just about any Subaru any day. You can't touch those 2.7 twin turbo V6s with AWD. That's a great car.

And BMW makes some sick ones as well...335i, M3, etc. Those are Sports Cars, not necessarily bought only for the impression factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Except stuff like this:

My friend owns a B5 Audi S4 and without a doubt he bought it for the performance factor....which sadly will own just about any Subaru any day. You can't touch those 2.7 twin turbo V6s with AWD. That's a great car.

And BMW makes some sick ones as well...335i, M3, etc. Those are Sports Cars, not necessarily bought only for the impression factor.
    Well, maybe I should have said "...they're status symbols to most people and most drivers only bought it impress someone."

Now that's a car! wooT!

Are .2 liters all it takes to make it much more powerful than a Subaru? Power is just a function of displacement & boost and I don't see a lot of difference in potential between the two. Aftermarket support isn't lacking for either platforms.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Are .2 liters all it takes to make it much more powerful than a Subaru? Power is just a function of displacement & boost and I don't see a lot of difference in potential between the two. Aftermarket support isn't lacking for either platforms.
    Don't get me wrong, I love me some WRXs and STi's
    , but anyone who knows anything about those B5 S4s knows just how amazing they can be. It's not just .2 liters more than an STi, it's 2 more cylinders and one more turbo. I can tell you right now that if anyone with that S4 ever did the KO4 turbos from the RS4 upgrade, you can be sure no Subaru will be catching him. Unless maybe it's that Perrin 3.0 H6 they turbocharged and put in an STi. Not many of those running around though. My computer is broken otherwise I would post up some videos of B5 S4s smoking stuff you wouldn't believe.

The number of turbos is irrelevant. A pair of turbos with X amount of airflow will spool identically to a single turbo with the same rating. The only improvement is underhood packaging with a V-engine setup.

I've had two twin turbo 3 liter v6 AWD cars. I don't think my Subaru gives up anything in terms of potential unless you're shooting for over 500whp. At that point it becomes advantageous to distribute the forces over more cylinders (and rods, and bearings). That's the same reason Vipers can spray absurd amounts of juice on a stock engine.

My car is packing a nice FMIC too:

No bling though -- no fancy wheels, no lowered suspension, no nothing. My current hardware should be enough to top 400whp and reach ~ 120 mph traps. If I end up building the engine it could see 100 more hp without changing anything else, still with "just" a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder and one very streetable turbo. The car weighs 3400 on the nose.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    The number of turbos is irrelevant. A pair of turbos with X amount of airflow will spool identically to a single turbo with the same rating. The only improvement is underhood packaging with a V-engine setup.

I've had two twin turbo 3 liter v6 AWD cars. I don't think my Subaru gives up anything in terms of potential unless you're shooting for over 500whp. At that point it becomes advantageous to distribute the forces over more cylinders (and rods, and bearings). That's the same reason Vipers can spray absurd amounts of juice on a stock engine.

No bling though -- no fancy wheels, no lowered suspension, no nothing. My current hardware should be enough to top 400whp and reach ~ 120 mph traps. If I end up building the engine it could see 100 more hp without changing anything else, still with "just" a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder and one very streetable turbo. The car weighs 3400 on the nose.

John, I don't think anyone doubts the potential of your car or anyone's LGT, WRX, or STi. They seriously all do have a crazy amount of potential and aftermarket community. Getting 500hp is all a matter of how deep your pockets are. And I'm certainly not going to sit here and try to tell you that modding an Audi is any cheaper. With all that said, I'm sorry, but the B5 Audi S4 is well known in tuner communities for it's amazing ability to be in the 3 second 0-60 range, have insanely high top speed, and just generally an all around supercar. I wish someone else here would chime in with me on this one... but here's some videos for you:

YouTube - 623WHP Wicked GT AUDI S4

YouTube - B5 Audi S4 biturbo Stage III 0-60 mph (100 km/h) in less than 4 seconds...

YouTube - Audi S4 with ARD 2.7T GT28RS Kit - Insane Acceleration!

YouTube - Ferrari F430, Audi S4

And here's a link to the Ko4 turbo kit I was talking about for these things:

AWE Tuning - RSK04 Turbo Upgrade Kit

That's knocking on the door of a 10 second 1/4 run. Try doing that on a stock EJ257 motor and you can probably kiss that engine goodbye.

Again, I don't doubt any Subaru's potential, it's just not on a level with the B5 Audi S4.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast