Cobalt SS...impressed... - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobalt SS...impressed... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX The car's that you're interested in. Really just trying to make conversation. Oh yea, I have ...

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The car's that you're interested in.
    Really just trying to make conversation.
    Oh yea, I have looked at a few Cobalt SS/TC's. I almost bought one but couldn't bring myself to own a bright yellow coupe. That was the only thing holding me back. The dealer was even going to drop the price another $2000 just to get me to buy it and go repaint it. I was going to walk away with this brand new SS for around $19k

I preferred a sedan. Found a really great one too, nice maroon color...but I had a horrible experience with the Chevy dealer basically... while I was discussing paperwork with the sales lady, the guys needed to "check" on my WRX, miles and condition, etc. Well, they ended up taking it for a freaking joy ride and I was very angry. Long story short...

I would still like to own one someday. I will always keep my eyes peeled for a good deal.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the cobalt ss might be fun/quick, but I will never own a high hp fwd car again. Granted, i dont have a ss, but I do have an srt-4, and it really sucks not having traction at 45-65mph...I spend money to make it faster, but my 0-60 always stays the same, the only thing that improves is 60+, cause i cant put the power down haha.

Dont get me wrong, I love my srt, but my next car will def. be a subbie.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbox13 View Post
    the cobalt ss might be fun/quick, but I will never own a high hp fwd car again. Granted, i dont have a ss, but I do have an srt-4, and it really sucks not having traction at 45-65mph...I spend money to make it faster, but my 0-60 always stays the same, the only thing that improves is 60+, cause i cant put the power down haha.

Dont get me wrong, I love my srt, but my next car will def. be a subbie.
    I'm not sure what the traction control system on the SRT-4 is like, but I'm willing to bet that the Cobalt SS has a better one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Has anyone done any testing on the Nurburgring with the SRT-4?

The 2008 Cobalt SS (turbo) was faster around the Nurburgring than the 2004 STi. That tells me it's one lean mean handling FWD machine

the cobalt ss/tc beats the srt-4n in every aspect except engine stoutness. the a853 is easily top 5 best 4cyl engines of all time.

the only traction control the neon has is your right foot... and turbo lag.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Subarex View Post
    That was overall comparison, but the WRX was faster at everything but 5-60 roll on, top gear accel tests, and top speed (SS is not limited)
    Car and Driver tests NEVER made any sense to me. Rating out of 5 for powertrain flexibility:

Peaky 6,000 RPM minimum Civic Si: 3 out of 5
    Mazdaspeed 3 that runs out of turbo above 5,700 RPM: 3 out of 5
    09 WRX that pulls like a train above 3,000RPM, right to the rev limiter and is fantastically tractible around town off boost, never even MIND the AWD: 1 out of 5?

1???

What are these guys smoking?
    Last edited by Saj5DJ; 12-22-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    the cobalt ss/tc beats the srt-4n in every aspect except engine stoutness. the a853 is easily top 5 best 4cyl engines of all time.

the only traction control the neon has is your right foot... and turbo lag.
    I think the LNF Ecotec turbo motor is/has/will be making a name for itself though as a stout little 4-banger as well.

Here are some specs: Even More Damn LNF Motor Specs - A community for the GM Ecotec engine - and that's from 2007. Not sure what they changed in 2008/2009 but they lowered the redline of the motor I think...increased compression slightly? And somehow got the motor on the SS to make torque at 2000rpm instead of 5000 or whatever in those specs.

I found something a few weeks ago on the SRT-4 forums in fact that discussed some kind of Sport Compact Build Guide in which GM pushed the LNF motor to 1000hp. Apparently they use this Ecotec motor in some of their crazy drag cars too. Pretty stout

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    I think the LNF Ecotec turbo motor is/has/will be making a name for itself though as a stout little 4-banger as well.

Here are some specs: Even More Damn LNF Motor Specs - A community for the GM Ecotec engine - and that's from 2007. Not sure what they changed in 2008/2009 but they lowered the redline of the motor I think...increased compression slightly? And somehow got the motor on the SS to make torque at 2000rpm instead of 5000 or whatever in those specs.

I found something a few weeks ago on the SRT-4 forums in fact that discussed some kind of Sport Compact Build Guide in which GM pushed the LNF motor to 1000hp. Apparently they use this Ecotec motor in some of their crazy drag cars too. Pretty stout
    yeah all that was stock was the block. which is still a great thing. it's deff a good 2.0. just saw a srtforum thread linked over there about the first car to break 400whp so there coming along well. just have to wait and see. the caliber srt has a great engine/fuel etc but the damn electronic diff makes the car just about useless. no ones bin able to swap in a real lsd and not screw up the ecu.
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Wrinklechops
    yeah all that was stock was the block. which is still a great thing. it's deff a good 2.0. just saw a srtforum thread linked over there about the first car to break 400whp so there coming along well. just have to wait and see. the caliber srt has a great engine/fuel etc but the damn electronic diff makes the car just about useless. no ones bin able to swap in a real lsd and not screw up the ecu.
    Is the motor in the Caliber the same as your Neon?

I was reading a while back about some kind of "World Engine" thing that Chrysler/Mistubishi/Hyundai were doing? Someone on NASIOC was trying to tell me it was DSM all over again, and that the engine in the Caliber SRT-4 is some kind of Mistubishi engine? Say it aint so

...electronic diff

A shame, give someone a car with some power and sportiness, then take the fun out of it and water it down so even the most novice driver can go fast. While they're at it, might as well make it harder to modify. I HATE the fact that a lot of the world's fastest, most exotic cars don't even come with the option of a manual transmission. I've driven a few different vehicles with "tiptronic" style transmissions and have been completely underwhelmed, even bitter that I was forced to drive something that was the sordid love child of a crappy manual gear box with too many broken teeth and a slushy slush box.

While we're on the subject, can you even find a 4x4 nowadays that has a manual t-case rather than all this electronic crap...probably not.

Blame lawyers.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Is the motor in the Caliber the same as your Neon?

I was reading a while back about some kind of "World Engine" thing that Chrysler/Mistubishi/Hyundai were doing? Someone on NASIOC was trying to tell me it was DSM all over again, and that the engine in the Caliber SRT-4 is some kind of Mistubishi engine? Say it aint so

no, its a new world engine. as stated the new evo and caliber share very similar engines. there are a couple over 400whp, stock turbo and fuel systems and 500whp and more on the stock engine but the electronic lsd kills the ignition when wheel spin is seen, can't be turned off. so every time you launch at the track your screwed and you have the worst turbo lag ever. just like launching a awd car to soft. a company has a real lsd ready to go. just no way to trick the ecu is turning it's self off.
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    I HATE the fact that a lot of the world's fastest, most exotic cars don't even come with the option of a manual transmission. I've driven a few different vehicles with "tiptronic" style transmissions and have been completely underwhelmed, even bitter that I was forced to drive something that was the sordid love child of a crappy manual gear box with too many broken teeth and a slushy slush box.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there's probably a good reason for some of these tiptronic gearboxes in so called fast and exotic cars... and that reason might be that half the people who own them don't know how to drive at all. Put someone like that in charge of a 6 speed manual gearbox and things will start breaking when you're pushing 500, 600, 700hp probably.

Then again, one of the fastest production vehicles I am aware of, the American built SSC Ultimate Aero (beat the Veyron) has a 6-speed manual...

2009 SSC Ultimate Aero Top Speed, Specs & Engine

While we're on the subject, can you even find a 4x4 nowadays that has a manual t-case rather than all this electronic crap...probably not.
    I agree with you. I assume you are talking present or very recent production vehicles though? Because luckily on my Jeep, I have the NV249 t-case which is manually switchable... I can also swap it out for the more famous NV242 case which would allow me to select RWD as an option instead of full time 4WD. This would probably be good for gas mileage!

no, its a new world engine. as stated the new evo and caliber share very similar engines. there are a couple over 400whp, stock turbo and fuel systems and 500whp and more on the stock engine but the electronic lsd kills the ignition when wheel spin is seen, can't be turned off. so every time you launch at the track your screwed and you have the worst turbo lag ever. just like launching a awd car to soft. a company has a real lsd ready to go. just no way to trick the ecu is turning it's self off.
    Dang son.

I know the Cobalt SS/TC has an LSD (optional)...don't think it's electronic though.

...and that reason might be that half the people who own them don't know how to drive at all.
    Agree, probably saves the manufacturer/dealer a lot of grief. Taking one important variable out of the catastrophic drivetrain damage equation.

I assume you are talking present or very recent production vehicles though?
    Yeah. I'm a Toyota guy though The last year for a manual t-case was the '04 Tacoma (at least in North America) as far as I know. All the good stuff is overseas now. Helped a friend build up a few CJ's and a Scrambler, appreciate Jeeps a lot.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

the cobalt tc/ss has traction control and launch control...tried searching google, but I couldnt find too much info on the tcs part

the caliber srt-4, has no lsd and no traction control. But, if it senses the inside wheel spinning, it applies the brake to that wheel.

hi guys,

I happen to own a Cobalt SS T/C sedan and I will tell you from experience that the thing can definately handle around turns

Its probably one of the greatest little sleeper cars to buy if you can find one. They only made the sedan SS turbo in 2009 and they only made 474 of them. I happen to have found a yellow one by chance and I found out that they only made 15 of those so I was pretty stoked when I got it. My build sheet puts me at the #11 spot.

Anyways, I live in abingdon Maryland and I was playing around with a 2006-07 wrx (could have been an STi) and I was wondering if that could be anyone on here? He was blue, 4 door, and had a carbon fiber hood, his back windshield said something tuner in white across the top?? I forget what the place is called but it looked like our local subaru wrx tuning shop in Bel Air, MD.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by CudaJoe View Post
    hi guys,

I happen to own a Cobalt SS T/C sedan and I will tell you from experience that the thing can definately handle around turns

Its probably one of the greatest little sleeper cars to buy if you can find one. They only made the sedan SS turbo in 2009 and they only made 474 of them. I happen to have found a yellow one by chance and I found out that they only made 15 of those so I was pretty stoked when I got it. My build sheet puts me at the #11 spot.

Anyways, I live in abingdon Maryland and I was playing around with a 2006-07 wrx (could have been an STi) and I was wondering if that could be anyone on here? He was blue, 4 door, and had a carbon fiber hood, his back windshield said something tuner in white across the top?? I forget what the place is called but it looked like our local subaru wrx tuning shop in Bel Air, MD.

I would try checking the sub-forums of this website to see if you can find the region closest to you and ask there. Or try NASIOC. Or IWSTI. There's so many WRX forums it's hard to keep track. But congrats on a great find man! I want a Cobalt SS so bad. I hope they don't stop making them. I had to get rid of my WRX but I told myself I will own a turbo'd car once again and my heart is pretty set on the Cobalt SS/TC. It's amazing and affordable.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast