Cobalt SS...impressed... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Cobalt SS...impressed... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by BlindPig Back down to 4th I go....WOT and Turbo to 15+psi...weeeeee Hmmm...I have only reached 13.3 psi ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlindPig View Post
    Back down to 4th I go....WOT and Turbo to 15+psi...weeeeee
    Hmmm...I have only reached 13.3 psi on my stage 1 wrx (07) and I have logged quite a few times. Do you have any other mods? Just curious if something may be wrong with my car...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DemenTia View Post
    Hmmm...I have only reached 13.3 psi on my stage 1 wrx (07) and I have logged quite a few times. Do you have any other mods? Just curious if something may be wrong with my car...
    I run around 13.5 psi in 1st to 3rd. At highway speed in 4th and fith I have hit as high as 17.2 psi. I checked with a few ppl on here and they indicated that it is fairly normal to "over" boost in 4th and 5th...I am no expert...just repeating what I have been told. There are lots of ppl here who can shed more light....

good luck
    06 WRB WRX
    Stage 1 Vibrant Cat Back (Sounds Nice!)

I checked with a few ppl on here and they indicated that it is fairly normal to "over" boost in 4th and 5th...I am no expert...just repeating what I have been told. There are lots of ppl here who can shed more light....

good luck
    i get boost spike in 4th and 5th gear when its cold out. im cobb stg 2 OTS map
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

Car and Driver: Cobalt SS v WRX, and 5 More Sport Compacts - Comparison Tests

Results:
    1 MAZDASPEED 3
    2 VOLKSWAGEN GTI
    3 CHEVROLET COBALT SS
    4 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX

5 HONDA CIVIC Si
    6 MINI JOHN COOPER WORKS CLUBMAN
    7 MITSUBISHI LANCER RALLIART

Quote Originally Posted by theiguy View Post
    Car and Driver: Cobalt SS v WRX, and 5 More Sport Compacts - Comparison Tests

Results:
    1 MAZDASPEED 3
    2 VOLKSWAGEN GTI
    3 CHEVROLET COBALT SS
    4 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX

5 HONDA CIVIC Si
    6 MINI JOHN COOPER WORKS CLUBMAN
    7 MITSUBISHI LANCER RALLIART
    That was overall comparison, but the WRX was faster at everything but 5-60 roll on, top gear accel tests, and top speed (SS is not limited)
    10 WRB WRX Wagon Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    The turbo ones can be made VERY fast for cheap. From the factory you can get an Extrudehoned exhaust manifold,LSD and a "power upgrade" kit. The power upgrade kit is only $650 and puts the car to 290hp/340ftlbs!
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

sorry to bag on the ss but imo it is one of the worst sounding car i've ever heard

Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I run around 13.5 psi in 1st to 3rd. At highway speed in 4th and fith I have hit as high as 17.2 psi. I checked with a few ppl on here and they indicated that it is fairly normal to "over" boost in 4th and 5th...I am no expert...just repeating what I have been told. There are lots of ppl here who can shed more light....

good luck
    I am stage I on an 07 WRX. I get the same results you have.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

I have to say I am impressed how the US domestic market is starting to make a comeback. I was really impressed with how ford is preforming with the wrc, and also with overseas drift racing.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    I have to say I am impressed how the US domestic market is starting to make a comeback. I was really impressed with how ford is preforming with the wrc, and also with overseas drift racing.
    I've been watching WRC on the HD channel. I'm really, really surprised with how well Mikko Hirvonen and Jari-Matti Latvala are doing in the Focus RS. But the Fiesta S2000 is going to outperform the RS. Too bad we don't get either in the US, I'd be down to throw one around.

^^^ yeah exactly... I really wish ford renamed the fiesta... I just cant get beyond the name fiesta... I mean we got those free with a kids meal in the 90's ... they should have made a completely "new car" and have it make a name for its self in the rally... Now no matter how well it does, it will still be a fiesta
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Wrinklechops
    Sorry to bump a month old thread...

But just wanted to add that I love the new Cobalt SS. I swore to myself I would never own another FWD car in my LIFE, but this thing is making me change my mind. Before I got rid of my WRX, I almost traded it in for a Cobalt SS. I was seriously impressed with the ones I test drove. The bang for the buck couldn't be beat. And this was back before a lot of aftermarket support came out for them. Now, I've seen companies like Hahn and ZZP put down impressive numbers on even the stock turbo Cobalt SS. I'm talking stuff like 350whp and 400tq. And here's the amazing thing, these cars are making peak torque at 2000rpm! And it's holding fairly solid across the powerband to redline. It just blows my mind...small 2.0 engine with a stock turbo capable of making large power numbers yet spooling quick and making torque at 2000rpm. Heck, my WRX didn't make peak torque until at least 4000-5000rpm I don't think.

And as far as FWD handling that I hated... I've seen the new Cobalt SS beat 350Zs at the track, as well as a handful of other cars that it shouldn't be beating i.e. Evo, STi, etc. Supposedly the 2008 turbo SS was faster around the Nurburgring than the 2004 STi

Anyways, I hated the supercharged SSs. I thought they were slow, and I thought it was retarded to supercharge a 2.0 engine in the first place. And I hated FWD. I hated everything basically. The new turbo SS was a step in the right direction for GM though, big time. That LNF motor is insane.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Anyways, I hated the supercharged SSs. I thought they were slow, and I thought it was retarded to supercharge a 2.0 engine in the first place. And I hated FWD. I hated everything basically. The new turbo SS was a step in the right direction for GM though, big time. That LNF motor is insane.
    Go take a look at a couple. Take a camera, and report back with driving impressions. I'm intrigued with the performance/dollar values that can be had in those cars.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Go take a look at a couple. Take a camera, and report back with driving impressions. I'm intrigued with the performance/dollar values that can be had in those cars.
    Take a look at what, the supercharged SSs? Or the turbos?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Take a look at what, the supercharged SSs? Or the turbos?
    The car's that you're interested in.
    Really just trying to make conversation.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast