first mod ordered for Z06 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on first mod ordered for Z06 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by BrianH I still see FI as having a higher ceiling than NA. . . Though with the ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I still see FI as having a higher ceiling than NA. . . Though with the LS3's people are cutting 9's with bolt on sc's. .. still not the route I want to go.

intake, headers, cam, double roller,pushrods, rockers, thermostat, dual springs

Your list for 500sh would be the same but with heads, no? . . that doesn't seem like it would be much more expensive than a used sc, depending on your choice of heads. . . though with labor I can see it spiking.
    I thought the LS6 heads were pretty good out of the box. I know the GM Ls6 conversion kit for the ls1, had the ls6 factory heads and the gm "hot cam".
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    With N/A you'd still have to look at internals (not just heads) depending on if you're wanting a high compression engine or not... and cams alone can cost a pretty penny...

I agree that F/I is much more streetable though. And fiscally, a s/c would probably make the most sense.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    I thought the LS6 heads were pretty good out of the box. I know the GM Ls6 conversion kit for the ls1, had the ls6 factory heads and the gm "hot cam".
    I'm not sure, I just assumed that would be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    With N/A you'd still have to look at internals (not just heads) depending on if you're wanting a high compression engine or not... and cams alone can cost a pretty penny...

I agree that F/I is much more streetable though. And fiscally, a s/c would probably make the most sense.
    Eh, for just a minor bump the heads work could do for that without going into the block, or just getting the stockers milled. A cam is only ~400 bucks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Eh, for just a minor bump the heads work could do for that without going into the block, or just getting the stockers milled. A cam is only ~400 bucks.
    Brian... When you're talking N/A 500whp... where is he getting this power? The stock ls6 got around 325whp if I remember right (405chp)... It doesn't seem to me that cams and exhaust could do that. The block will have to be cracked open...

And Micah... from my readings on an LS1 forum when I was helping my father with his C5... the Vararam isn't as impressive as they claim it to be. The dyno's were showing 15whp gains. And how often are you going to be above 100mph where the vararam supposedly makes this assinine power # that they speak of?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Brian... When you're talking N/A 500whp... where is he getting this power? The stock ls6 got around 325whp if I remember right (405chp)... It doesn't seem to me that cams and exhaust could do that. The block will have to be cracked open...
    LS6's can get pretty close to that NA without going into the block. Bump compression, milled afrs. .I think ECS has a C5Z package for just this purpose. It can be done. . . whether it can be tolerated is the question to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    ls6's are pretty beefy. They were rated at 405chp but many guys were getting close to 400whp out of the box. Id bet with cam, full exhaust, reprogram/tune, 450+whp is easily attainable.

BTW Sinister I have been to Bear Republic Brewery in Healdesburg.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

The LS6 has upgraded components compared to the LS1, and thus it's components are seen as upgrades for an LS1 owner. But there are other components which would be considered an upgrade for either engine.

My wishlist currently:

first:
    ARH headers
    x-pipe
    high flow cats

second:
    pdaft coilovers
    pdaft anti sway bars

third:
    wires +plugs
    trickflow heads
    cam
    fast 90
    underdrive pulley
    clutch
    flywheel
    trans brace
    3.73 rear
    oil pump
    electric accessories

I don't work on my own cars anymore. So labor is a factor. I do have friends who are mechanics, which helps a great deal. On top of all that - the economy hasn't inspired much confidence - so for now I'm just going to start paying it down. The car doesn't feel slow yet.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

This is one of my mechanic friends cars.

YouTube - baddest434 atco october 20th run compilation

8's are NICE!
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    BTW Sinister I have been to Bear Republic Brewery in Healdesburg.
    You son of a btch...

I still contend that 500whp on a LS6 with just exhaust, intake and cams is not even close to attainable.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

You son of a btch...

I still contend that 500whp on a LS6 with just exhaust, intake and cams is not even close to attainable.
    Quite a bit more than that, pretty much everything without having to go into the block.

East Coast Supercharging Customer Cars

Scroll down to Mike M.

Wrinklechops
    Cams aren't really that expensive. $300-500 depending on street-ability, etc.

Pushrod V8s don't deal with some of the trickery that the OHC V8s do. It's a totally different animal than your average small displacement forced induction motor.

For example, my 5.9 V8 in my Jeep can handle a good amount of power before ever needing to change out internals. The most engine work ahead for me is cams ($300+), better intake manifold ($500ish), throttle body ($300ish), and of course headers/exhaust and a good PCM (ECU) reflash.

In fact, the problem for a DD V8 monster usually happens to be the lack of the strength of the drivetrain rather than the motor. You can rack up power quick on a V8 and your tranny/drivetrain can't keep up. You can also get more power for cheaper on a V8 than you can with a smaller displacement forced induction motor.

Then again, my V8 is cast iron. Aren't the Vette's an aluminum block?

Has anyone heard of/seen SuperSpeeders?

The guy who made the movies has/had a Corvette that he decided to have completely built for 700rwhp.

YouTube - 700 RWHP Vette

It's super cool! He said after his first 1000 miles he switched over to synthetic oil, went for a 4th gear pull and absolutely destroyed his transmission.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 10-28-2009 at 12:16 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quite a bit more than that, pretty much everything without having to go into the block.

East Coast Supercharging Customer Cars

Scroll down to Mike M.
    I'm just going to mention that's a dynopack....

Full exhaust, cams and heads is all that guy did... that's pretty impressive, but I still don't think that they'd be able to get that out of a mustang/dynamics dyno.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Yeah, it's a dynapack and if you put it on a DynoJet it would probably be even higher. So yes, 500whp on the more generous dyno's is possible, on a heart breaker it's going to be lower.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12