350Z-Slayed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 350Z-Slayed within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I was on my way home from school tonight on a road that's basically like a freeway but with stoplights. ...

350Z-Slayed

I was on my way home from school tonight on a road that's basically like a freeway but with stoplights. Its 3 lanes each direction with a concrete center divider and its mostly straight, but about every 1/2 mile to a mile there are stoplights. I happened to pull up at the front of a red light next to a 350Z which was pretty obviously stock. I have a stock 05 WRX by the way. So the light turned green and neither one of us launched but as soon as we were at a slight roll, maybe 5 mph we looked at each other and both hit the gas. We stayed even for a second and then at about 2500 to 3000 RPM when my turbo spooled I started to pull away. I took it almost to 7000 RPM, then wound it up in second, then went partway into third before I let off at about 75-80 MPH. The guy in the 350Z let off at about 70 or so, but before he let off I had about 1/2 to 3/4 of a car length on him. So this got me curious, I thought 350Z's were faster than that, so i thought maybe he just didn't know what he was doing. I came home and looked up the specs on a regular 350Z, it turns out the 0-60 times are the same as the WRX, and in the 1/4 mile the Z is almost a second faster. So I guess if we had kept going he probably would have closed the gap considering he has the extra 50 HP or so. But still, I was happy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

congrats on the slaying. I've been revved on by a couple 350z's but never bothered. Maybe next time i'll run with him for a sec. was that in a 55?
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

As someone who has owned both cars with manual transmissions, I can tell you that with both cars in stock form the Z will pull away hard above 50mph.

My WRX was about even with my 350Z when the WRX was at stage 2. After the turbo upgrade the WRX was faster than the 350Z both down low and up high.

350Z's are heavy, and live on the knock sensor. The first Borla true dual exhaust for the 350z actually lost power on the dyno. I wanted to modify my Z but could never find an upgrade path that I felt was safe enough to try. Not much power to be had N/A, and the engine just doesn't seem to last long under boost. However, the car was SOLID as a rock. Never had a single issue in over 40,000 miles. This was despite my jumping train tracks at 110mph and driving off a curb once doing about 30 mph. Very easy to drive the car at 8/10ths, suspension was well suited to the car, rearward visibility sucked (the rear view mirror is like peeking through a mailslot), and the trunk space was partially ruined by the large bar in the back. It was fun to drive fast, but wasn't really a "fast car".

Still, if you know someone looking for a trouble free coupe that is fun to drive and turns heads, the 350Z was a pretty good value.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    As someone who has owned both cars with manual transmissions, I can tell you that with both cars in stock form the Z will pull away hard above 50mph.

My WRX was about even with my 350Z when the WRX was at stage 2. After the turbo upgrade the WRX was faster than the 350Z both down low and up high.

350Z's are heavy, and live on the knock sensor. The first Borla true dual exhaust for the 350z actually lost power on the dyno. I wanted to modify my Z but could never find an upgrade path that I felt was safe enough to try. Not much power to be had N/A, and the engine just doesn't seem to last long under boost. However, the car was SOLID as a rock. Never had a single issue in over 40,000 miles. This was despite my jumping train tracks at 110mph and driving off a curb once doing about 30 mph. Very easy to drive the car at 8/10ths, suspension was well suited to the car, rearward visibility sucked (the rear view mirror is like peeking through a mailslot), and the trunk space was partially ruined by the large bar in the back. It was fun to drive fast, but wasn't really a "fast car".

Still, if you know someone looking for a trouble free coupe that is fun to drive and turns heads, the 350Z was a pretty good value.
    what are your thoughts on the 370z? still N/A and would probly run into the same problems but thats a nice step up if the performance was your only qualm with the 350
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

I haven't driven one yet, but everything I've read says it should be great. I've read the Nismo version makes even more power.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

I was at subaru and one of the managers was talking to me, he just got a new 270, he was telling me the differences and it sounds worlds better. he was absolutely loving it. but he said the cost of aftermarket parts where unreal. but maybe thats not a factor for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Buck View Post
    I was at subaru and one of the managers was talking to me, he just got a new 270, he was telling me the differences and it sounds worlds better. he was absolutely loving it. but he said the cost of aftermarket parts where unreal. but maybe thats not a factor for some people.
    When I bought my 2005 350Z I was back and forth between new cars in the 30k range, and used cars in the same price range, which would have cost around 50k originally when new. I choose the Nissan because I thought for sure it would have potential for modding. I figured I/H/E would yield some decent gains, and bought the car. Then I started reading others experiences and found there were mostly upset people after modding.

This summer I bought a used Z06, and did plenty of research before hand. Learned they have a tendency to cook off some oil if you keep them in high rev's often, but that for the most part they are pretty reliable. First I looked at a C5, second a C5Z06 that had long tube headers and a reflash. Then I found the one I ended up buying - a 2002 C5Z06 with 39k miles, not a thing done to it other than changing the sound system. I've had it since June, and have just under 44k miles on it now - so far, so good.

yeah i remember you talking about it when you first got it. those seem like really good cars, that have a long history and many pleased customers. seems like the 350z crowd is largely for show, as opposed to the vette where the crowd ranges from track use to retired folk looking to treat themselves to people who want a dd thats fast n fun. Do you have any plans for it?

yeah i remember you talking about it when you first got it. those seem like really good cars, that have a long history and many pleased customers. seems like the 350z crowd is largely for show, as opposed to the vette where the crowd ranges from track use to retired folk looking to treat themselves to people who want a dd thats fast n fun. Do you have any plans for it?
    I've always been more go than show oriented, which is why I never changed anything on the 350Z. I am happy with the Z06 the way it is stock, however consider the following random thoughts in my head:

When I first started driving it, goosing the pedal of the Z06 simultaneously scared me and made me giggle like a little child inside. Now I'm pretty used to it, and I wouldn't mind making it faster.

I've been reading/searching forums for users experiences with F/I and N/A. So far I'm seeing mostly happy people.

My WRX now feels slow and like a little tugboat compared to the speedboat feel of the Z06. There isn't too much on the road in the same class in terms of braking/handling/accelleration.

If I could only have one car, I'd still keep the WRX - I think.

My WRX now feels slow and like a little tugboat compared to the speedboat feel of the Z06. There isn't too much on the road in the same class in terms of braking/handling/accelleration.

yeah i've never driven a Z06 let alone been in one, but i have read about them when chevy was changing things up on them and they seem to be the real deal, like you said it seems they are an amazing all around performing car.

the only thing lacking in the vettes to me are the practicality, little trunk space, can't carry many ppl, ect, ect. but if you have a different DD then it sounds like quite the car.

haha you would keep the wrx if you could only have 1 car. thats what you say on clubdub, but on the vette forums ur saying the opposite i bet lol

yeah i've never driven a Z06 let alone been in one, but i have read about them when chevy was changing things up on them and they seem to be the real deal, like you said it seems they are an amazing all around performing car.

the only thing lacking in the vettes to me are the practicality, little trunk space, can't carry many ppl, ect, ect. but if you have a different DD then it sounds like quite the car.

haha you would keep the wrx if you could only have 1 car. thats what you say on clubdub, but on the vette forums ur saying the opposite i bet lol
    The 350Z was every bit as impractical as the Z06 in my mind. Two doors, two seats, and enough space in the back for two people packing for up to a week long vacation. (took my friend Jess to Disney last year - not a bad drive, this year I'm driving it again in the Z06 10/28/09-11/3/09) I'm actually using the Z06 as my daily driver and have been since I picked it up in June.

You can check my posts on corvetteforum.com - username is secondvariety (PKD reference for those who read sci-fi), I haven't said I would give up the WRX. The WRX isn't much more practical though. The seats don't go down in the sedan, so storage space is limited to what I can fit in the trunk. Also the trunk arms cut into the trunk space. Granted, there is a back seat, which helps. I've driven my WRX with 1-4 passengers besides myself, and when there are more than 2 people in the car - I hate the way it slows down while accommodating the additional weight.

I can live with the WRX 365 days a year, the Z06 will never see snow - and I'd sooner pay for a taxi or rent-a-wreck before I'd bother trying to see how it does. My WRX has been a joy to own, even when I broke the trans I knew it wouldn't be long before it was back up and running. For all the small changes that have been made to it, it is reliable and gets 22mpg in mixed driving. The Z06 averages about 17 mpg +/- 1 or 2 depending on how I drive it.

The 350Z was every bit as impractical as the Z06 in my mind. Two doors, two seats, and enough space in the back for two people packing for up to a week long vacation. (took my friend Jess to Disney last year - not a bad drive, this year I'm driving it again in the Z06 10/28/09-11/3/09) I'm actually using the Z06 as my daily driver and have been since I picked it up in June.

You can check my posts on corvetteforum.com - username is secondvariety (PKD reference for those who read sci-fi), I haven't said I would give up the WRX. The WRX isn't much more practical though. The seats don't go down in the sedan, so storage space is limited to what I can fit in the trunk. Also the trunk arms cut into the trunk space. Granted, there is a back seat, which helps. I've driven my WRX with 1-4 passengers besides myself, and when there are more than 2 people in the car - I hate the way it slows down while accommodating the additional weight.

I can live with the WRX 365 days a year, the Z06 will never see snow - and I'd sooner pay for a taxi or rent-a-wreck before I'd bother trying to see how it does. My WRX has been a joy to own, even when I broke the trans I knew it wouldn't be long before it was back up and running. For all the small changes that have been made to it, it is reliable and gets 22mpg in mixed driving. The Z06 averages about 17 mpg +/- 1 or 2 depending on how I drive it.
    i wasn't trying to get at the 350 being more practical, they both seemed about equal to me in that category. and i was kidding about your other forum lol. glad to hear you like it though, are there any cars you are considering for the future?

Living in NJ, I'd think the one would be the WRX. Seems like the Z06 would require a bus pass for the winter.

username is secondvariety
    Quite the 'Screamer', huh?
    Stink-Eye Mob #666

2009 WRX Sedan

I feel like the 350z should have pulled on you from 5 mph roll...that is the worst place for a wrx to race from...they lag alittle bit from that mph..they are much better from a launch or higher rpms...I think the 350 driver didnt know how to drive all that well...good kill though..
    "Ahhhh, the sweet whistle of the turbo spooling up."

Quote Originally Posted by WRXinit View Post
    I feel like the 350z should have pulled on you from 5 mph roll...that is the worst place for a wrx to race from...they lag alittle bit from that mph..they are much better from a launch or higher rpms...I think the 350 driver didnt know how to drive all that well...good kill though..
    im not real suprised, im sure there was a little lag but once the lag is gone then he's gone. those 350's stock aren't crazy fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast