'09 WRX vs. '08 Evo X

This is a discussion on '09 WRX vs. '08 Evo X within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Alright, I was on my way home from work today on MD Rt. 210 when I encountered an Evo X. ...

'09 WRX vs. '08 Evo X

Alright, I was on my way home from work today on MD Rt. 210 when I encountered an Evo X. Rt. 210 is a six-lane highway (3 lanes each direction) with a few traffic lights on it. The speed limit is 55, most people go 65-70. The guy paced me and we got stopped at one of the first lights after that. I rolled down the window and we talked while it was red. He had an unmodded '08 Evo X, my car is an unmodded '09 WRX (but the fun starts with an AccessPORT next week...can't wait!). We were cordial with each other and agreed to race. We both agreed to go without traction control, even though it had been raining out and the road was saturated. I beat him off the line up to about 70 mph when I slowed down. I didn't like the launch w/out traction control, although that was the first time (and probably the last) I had done it in the rain. We cruised up to the next light, which had turned red, and agreed to go again, this time with traction control on. Again, I beat him off the line, and he was about a 1/2 car length behind until we both slowed down at about 70-80 mph. A few lights later, same situation, I beat him off the line, but he overtook me at about 55-60 mph. After that, we parted with a wave.

Overall, I was surprised that the '09 WRX could even stand up to an Evo X. I wasn't launching too hard--I revved to about 3.5k and eased off of the clutch for launches with TC. The launch without TC was a little bit sloppier because the wheels were slipping, but oh well, lesson learned. Any thoughts? Could a different driver in a stock Evo X have slaughtered a stock '09 WRX?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Driver experience has a huge impact with driving cars of comparable acceleration, power, etc... Seeing that the EVO X and the STi are rivals, and the 09 WRX having pretty much the same acceleration 0-60 as the STi, I'm not surprised that an 09 WRX can hold it's own against a stock X.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Nice run.These cars are deceptively fast, 70mph comes quickly.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
    Not too surprised after all I'd heard about the new WRXes. Interesting that you kept beating him off the line though...
    One day I'll have a truly awesome sig
    -------
    2004 impreza WRX
    uppipe, downpipe, ap, and a grin
    ~Blobeye syndicate~ #2007

GJ...and way to keep things cordial.
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

I test drove a stock 08 Evo X right before i purchased my 09 WRX and it just seemed slow. After 5k it just falls flat on its face. Acceleration just seemed bland, where as the WRX kicks you in the back when the turbo kicks in at 4K.

09 WRX FTW.

I found these specs on the '08 Evo X and '09 WRX, both from Edmunds.com (see for yourself here and here.)

'08 Evo X:
    0-30 mph: 1.7 seconds
    0-45 mph: 3.1 seconds
    0-60 mph: 4.9 seconds
    0-75 mph: 7.2 seconds
    Quarter-mile: 13.6 seconds at 101.3 mph

'09 WRX:
    0-30 mph: 1.9 seconds
    0-45 mph: 3.5 seconds
    0-60 mph: 5.2 seconds
    0-75 mph: 7.9 seconds
    Quarter-mile: 13.7 seconds at 98.7 mph

The numbers on the WRX may be a little conservative--I'm sure everyone's seen the 4.7 sec 0-60 time quoted elsewhere. The "acceleration comments" section in the '09 WRX article sounds like they didn't do a great job launching the car (they talk about it getting bogged down). Either way, it seems that the '09 WRX isn't totally outclassed by the Evo X when it's going in a straight line.

Quote Originally Posted by drrockandroll View Post
    I found these specs on the '08 Evo X and '09 WRX, both from Edmunds.com (see for yourself here and here.)

'08 Evo X:

'09 WRX:

The numbers on the WRX may be a little conservative--I'm sure everyone's seen the 4.7 sec 0-60 time quoted elsewhere. The "acceleration comments" section in the '09 WRX article sounds like they didn't do a great job launching the car (they talk about it getting bogged down). Either way, it seems that the '09 WRX isn't totally outclassed by the Evo X when it's going in a straight line.
    Those are pretty di minimis differences for straight line performance (to 1/4 mile) so driver skill, track condition, etc. play a bigger role in determining what's "better."
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

Quote Originally Posted by drrockandroll View Post

'08 Evo X:

'09 WRX:

theres a vid on youtube that shows a comparison between the 08 and 09 WRX and in the 1/4 the 09 ran a 13.3. i think in the hands of the right driver one could pull of a 13 or high 12.

YouTube - CarAdvice.com.au - Subaru Impreza WRX - '08 WRX vs '09 WRX Drag Strip Run

interesting stuff. i didnt realize they were as close either

~Ryan

i learned something new...nice...

Street racing on a six lane highway in the rain....F4$t 4nd FurI0$ brah!!!
    Bugeye Mafia #227

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    I test drove a stock 08 Evo X right before i purchased my 09 WRX and it just seemed slow. After 5k it just falls flat on its face. Acceleration just seemed bland, where as the WRX kicks you in the back when the turbo kicks in at 4K.

09 WRX FTW.
    I own an X and stock it runs WAYYYYY rich and does fall off around 5500-6000. I bought an AP and got a custom tune from one of the top Evo Tuners and it's a completely different car now... it pulls all the way to about 7400 and wants to keep going. The weight of the cars is what makes more of a difference I think than anything else. I'm not disappointed in the added weight since the car is so much safer than the 06 IX RS I had.