Stock 335 vs STi - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on Stock 335 vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Don't generalize if your car ISNT good on icy roads that's your car NOT mine. I'm speakin of my experience ...

Don't generalize if your car ISNT good on icy roads that's your car NOT mine.

I'm speakin of my experience with icy roads in NYC, my car hast let me down yet - it keeps movin without me slidin.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    he's right. NO car is good on ice. You would need some chains to move and stop safely on ice....if that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post

I'm speakin of my experience with icy roads in NYC, my car hast let me down yet - it keeps movin without me slidin.
    Then that's not really ice. I've driven my WRX and my STI with dedicated winter tires, and on ice it's still goodbye traction! On ice, you're screwed. Period.
    2010 SSM STI

good job captian ice - why dont you regail me with more tails of your icy driving adventures

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Then that's not really ice. I've driven my WRX and my STI with dedicated winter tires, and on ice it's still goodbye traction! On ice, you're screwed. Period.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    good job captian ice - why dont you regail me with more tails of your icy driving adventures
    Is it common for you to talk to your friends that way??

Because we are all friends here - get my point?

BTW, that is a mod you're talking but we don't tolerate personal attacks on anyone.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-17-2009 at 10:50 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Time to apply the ice to the forehead.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

captain*

i live in NY too, and ice is slippery. A wrx is still a car. It isnt immune to crashing or losing traction. All wheel drive doesnt mean smack when you cant stop because there is no friction on the road. Ice= very little or No friction.

The problem with a lot of people that own AWD cars is that they forget that a car is a car.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Time to apply the ice to the forehead.
    asap
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

lol we all pretty much drive the same car here my man...ice is ice, and you will slide on it in any car...awd does not do anything on ice, snow is a different but AWD does not make a car perform as if on dry tarmac when the weather is bad, its just a lot better then 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by liljon350 View Post
    awd does not do anything on ice
    BS

In an iced parking lot, from a dead stop I was able to make it up a slight incline. The cop car behind me could not and sat there spinning his wheels ever so slowly. I parked and watched as he got out of the car and left it in drive. The tires were turning but the car wasn't moving at all. Having all four contact patches working for you does have a slight advantage on ice.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    As Micah was saying, there is a slight trivial advantage as far as not getting stuck.

There is also a slight advantage with deceleration because you can downshift and it will drag all four wheels slightly. This is actually an important distinction over FWD which will drag only on the front wheels and will easily spin the car out if you are going too fast and catch a little traction somewhere. RWD is considerably better for stability and deceleration compared to FWD. I have personally watched an Audi spin out and wreck after passing me in a RWD Volvo (no chains & crap tires) on Donner Pass.

Once you are on the brakes (the important stuff) AWD does absolutely nothing. On real ice as said you are screwed. Black ice will kill you just as fast in your AWD. Studs and chains are the only thing that helps, and I would take any drive configuration with those over any other without.

I Support ClubWRX
    [OT]
    John...
    Did you see the Wheeler Dealers where they rejuvenated an old E30 325 wagon? It kinda reminded me of why I like BMW's. Those old 3's had class.

[/OT]
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    [OT]
    John...
    Did you see the Wheeler Dealers where they rejuvenated an old E30 325 wagon? It kinda reminded me of why I like BMW's. Those old 3's had class.

[/OT]
    Must have read my mind - I had both episodes on the DVR and watched them back to back last night. Very cool wagon IMO.

They were lucky all the switches & window motors worked though!

I did mis-speak earlier though - the 633 was a little heavier than a wrx. I appreciated their respect for the 2.5 but any of the straight 6 (like my 3.3) were well known for their natural balance (and ability to rev way above the designated line on the tach) and the fact they would last 300,000 + miles even if speeds well over 100mph were sustained regularly. They were true classic Autobahn bombers.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-18-2009 at 11:14 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Here is a reasonable explanation of the car from back in the day. It is being compared to an xj-12, but other articles put it on the 911 playing field of the time. Mine was 5 spd however. Note the last summary paragraph on pg. 49:

Popular Science - Google Books

I know I shouldn't gush so much but I loved that car. When I bought it in souhtern OR I had to be in VA in 3 days - I was able to drive without fatigue 16-20 hours a day for three days straight and I actually just pulled out a bag and slept in the drivers seat both nights.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-18-2009 at 11:50 AM.

great compair

~Ryan

It's true we are all friends here, we have a common like - The WRX! I just dislike when I speak of MY experience with MY car how others feel the need to chime in with their theory and apply it to my situation - unless that person was riding shotgun with me your theory pretty does NOTHING when applying it to my statement.

I do apologize but @ the sametime mycologist there was no personal attacks in any of my post - so I may have called the guy "captian ice" apparently he's the ice driver and my story was a lie

Point is - each of us has had our own personal experience, if my car made it on some ice and im happy about it PLEASE DO NOT RAIN ON MY PARADE, let it be...I never said anything about driving on some North Pole ice where I hang out with those penguins in Surfs Up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.