Stock 335 vs STi - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock 335 vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by yass And that was exactly my result on highway. He actually gave up after I passed. Like ...

Quote Originally Posted by yass View Post
    And that was exactly my result on highway. He actually gave up after I passed. Like I said, there is no turbo lag in 335 so the smoothness might not make one feel the snap back effect but it's defintely fast.
    Sure - a STOCK STI. But what percentage of WRX/STI's are running around stock? How about the percentage of 335's running around stock?

In my mind a 0-60 time of 4.x or lower is FAST, and in the 5.x range is QUICK. To put things in perspective there are multiple cars available which can run 0-60 in 3.x which makes them VERY FAST in my eyes.

I bought a VERY FAST car because my WRX was already FAST and the BMW was only QUICK.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I dunno Micah, in the end I think my BMW was fast and the wrx is quick. I know my experience is outdated but I doubt that has changed. 115 in that car was not comfortable for a few minutes, it was comfortable for an hour.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    I dunno Micah, in the end I think my BMW was fast and the wrx is quick. I know my experience is outdated but I doubt that has changed. 115 in that car was not comfortable for a few minutes, it was comfortable for an hour.
    You did 115mph for an hour? I'm very surprised.

(fuel consumption - law enforcement - heat due to continued load)

If you read my post you will notice I specified MY WRX is FAST, and this was based upon a 0-60 time. I specified the terms - 3.x is very fast, 4.x is fast, and 5.x is quick. What are you basing your "fast" on?

I've lined up with 335i/135i in my WRX - had no problem ditching them, and I don't "launch". If my WRX was stock, it would obviously be a different story. But what percentage of 135 and 335 are getting modded compared to the percentage of modded WRX and STI? Furthermore, how much power can be gained for $500, $1500, $3000?

The BMW is a completely different (upscale) class of car. Opinions are like sphincters....
    Last edited by Micah; 09-11-2009 at 08:55 PM.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Testing
    Every GM car and truck is subjected to certain durability test schedules, and Corvettes go through all of them. Then the fun begins. Corvette has a well-earned reputation for being a car that you can drive out of the showroom and onto a racetrack with little or no modification. To protect that reputation, Corvette engineers do things to the car that would tighten the sphincter muscle of the average driver. All Corvettes, not just the Z06, undergo 250 miles of full-bore autocross testing, 24 hours of road-course testing at competition speeds, and a grueling wide-open throttle test that has the car run at its 175-mph top speed until the gas tank runs dry about 30 minutes later. No question, the Z06 comes up as a very special version of a very special car. Somewhere, Zora Arkus-Duntov is smiling.

C5 Z06 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) - Corvette Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    Testing
    Every GM car and truck is subjected to certain durability test schedules, and Corvettes go through all of them. Then the fun begins. Corvette has a well-earned reputation for being a car that you can drive out of the showroom and onto a racetrack with little or no modification. To protect that reputation, Corvette engineers do things to the car that would tighten the sphincter muscle of the average driver. All Corvettes, not just the Z06, undergo 250 miles of full-bore autocross testing, 24 hours of road-course testing at competition speeds, and a grueling wide-open throttle test that has the car run at its 175-mph top speed until the gas tank runs dry about 30 minutes later. No question, the Z06 comes up as a very special version of a very special car. Somewhere, Zora Arkus-Duntov is smiling.

C5 Z06 Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) - Corvette Forum

id take the zr1
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, if someone did that I can say that it didn't get hot at all. Just making its stride it seemed. That was with >100K on the clock. It got 20mpg highway at 85. Car was an 82 straight 6 3.3l and was about 20 years old (I don't do that now). There was plenty of gear left and the car was designed for it. There isn't much of anything in some parts of eastern OR BTW.

Oh - car ended up rusting to death with all major mechanicals working.
    Last edited by mycologist; 09-12-2009 at 06:25 PM.

I'd rather mod a Z06 and be ahead of the game financially. Granted, the ZR-1 has a warranty - but for the extra 30k, I would be able to build up an engine, blow it, then build another - and still have money left over for upgraded brakes and suspension.

Some people are happy to leave their cars stock, others are willing to mod. IMHO - Stock is safe but boring, modded is risky but exciting. Being stock also means when you pull up to a light, anyone who knows the performance numbers will be able to judge the car fairly well... with a modded vehicle, it's a tougher call to make.

I Support ClubWRX
    You did 115mph for an hour? I'm very surprised.

(fuel consumption - law enforcement - heat due to continued load)

If you read my post you will notice I specified MY WRX is FAST, and this was based upon a 0-60 time. I specified the terms - 3.x is very fast, 4.x is fast, and 5.x is quick. What are you basing your "fast" on?

I've lined up with 335i/135i in my WRX - had no problem ditching them, and I don't "launch". If my WRX was stock, it would obviously be a different story. But what percentage of 135 and 335 are getting modded compared to the percentage of modded WRX and STI? Furthermore, how much power can be gained for $500, $1500, $3000?

The BMW is a completely different (upscale) class of car. Opinions are like sphincters....
    I think we posted at the same time. Just saying fast comes much later than 60mph though and good roads don't have stop lights.

The Corvette is very appealing. Like you said it is all opinions and my personal leaning right now is toward something approaching go-cart weight. I suppose I'm kind of stuck on some older cars too.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Me confused, too... Yes a 335i will take an STI on the highway. From a dig, even a lightly modded STI will murder a 335. The 3-series in general is very tricky to get off the line.
    Coming from two 335i's I'll say that's not the case at all with the 6AT tranny. It's a bit faster than the manual 335i and a breeze to launch well stock and even tuned.

Dood are you serious with this? LOL... listen each driver is different.

As far as ICE goes, NYC does have icy roads and i haven't skidded out once with my 08 - the car kept it movin safely. My driving impression of cars will be different then that of yours.

And the OP WASN'T talkin about the "xi" - it was the "i"

Quote Originally Posted by liljon350 View Post
    ive driven both the 335i and 335xi and they both handle extremely well...also the xi is almost as good as my wrx in the snow...and what car is good on ice?
    Last edited by spt wrx 2k8; 09-15-2009 at 12:20 PM.

as far as dry weather handling goes, the 335i is much better then my wrx(non sti)...and my **** slips and slides on ice in the winter if im not careful

Agreed.

Some people are happy to leave their cars stock, others are willing to mod. IMHO - Stock is safe but boring, modded is risky but exciting. Being stock also means when you pull up to a light, anyone who knows the performance numbers will be able to judge the car fairly well... with a modded vehicle, it's a tougher call to make.

I would pay $8995 not to have that stupid plastic window on my hood. 600rwhp would be a bonus...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    Dood are you serious with this? LOL... listen each driver is different.

As far as ICE goes, NYC does have icy roads and i haven't skidded out once with my 08 - the car kept it movin safely. My driving impression of cars will be different then that of yours.

And the OP WASN'T talkin about the "xi" - it was the "i"

he's right. NO car is good on ice. You would need some chains to move and stop safely on ice....if that.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    he's right. NO car is good on ice. You would need some chains to move and stop safely on ice....if that.
    Ice means I stay home...

Even if my car doesn't lose traction, that 1999 Chrysler Minivan with bald tires driven by someone on their cellphone is going to surely plow into me...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.