Stock 335 vs STi - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock 335 vs STi within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Tinywagon yeah...R32 or 335? which one were you driving? Sorry if the OP was confused. I guess ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinywagon View Post
    yeah...R32 or 335? which one were you driving?
    Sorry if the OP was confused. I guess I was trying to say many things in 1 post instead of multilple posts.

It was stock 335 vs somewhat modded (at least the exhaust) STi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Me confused, too... Yes a 335i will take an STI on the highway. From a dig, even a lightly modded STI will murder a 335. The 3-series in general is very tricky to get off the line.
    There is no doubt STi would take 335 from a dig. But wait until you see a modded 335.Check out this guy 1/4 mile time 2008 BMW 335i JB3 TM Steptronic Coupe 1/4 mile Drag Racing timeslip specs 0-60 - DragTimes.com

He only has a $700 piggy back tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by liljon350 View Post
    good s hit, i drove the kids 335xi after, its iight but not too thrilling... if i was looking for a car in that class i would go with the g37 or the s4...my 2 cents, sorry for going off topic but the original post doesnt make sense anyways LOL
    I guess to each of his own. I drove the G37 S before getting the 335i and was not impressed at all. Not noticeably fast (as I would notice in the bimmer) and handling was not sticking to the road like the Bimmer.

At that time, S4 was not released. I would take 2010 S4 over 335i any second. Also if you go to g37 forum, you would find most folks don't compare g37 with 335i but rather with 328 if you want to talk about class.
    Last edited by yass; 09-09-2009 at 07:37 AM.

I've had the pleasure of drivin in a stock 335 (childhood fren owns one), the car is deadly in a straight anything else its a no go - twisties, ice, snow, rain - for 47k i'd like to be driving all ova..

I think the car is bueatiful inside and out but for that price I'd put the money on Audi if we're talkin luxury and power.

Quote Originally Posted by spt wrx 2k8 View Post
    I've had the pleasure of drivin in a stock 335 (childhood fren owns one), the car is deadly in a straight anything else its a no go - twisties, ice, snow, rain - for 47k i'd like to be driving all ova..

I think the car is bueatiful inside and out but for that price I'd put the money on Audi if we're talkin luxury and power.
    ive driven both the 335i and 335xi and they both handle extremely well...also the xi is almost as good as my wrx in the snow...and what car is good on ice?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinywagon View Post
    yeah...R32 or 335? which one were you driving?
    he was driving a stock BMVW 335 Type R32

Quote Originally Posted by liljon350 View Post
    i drove the kids 335xi after, its iight but not too thrilling... if i was looking for a car in that class i would go with the g37 or the s4...my 2 cents, sorry for going off topic but the original post doesnt make sense anyways LOL
    Last year I started looking at trading in my 350Z for a BMW. I test drove the 135 and 335. The 135 with both a manual and auto, and the 335 with just the manual. I was not impressed. The engine barely felt turbocharged to me. I'm used to boost pushing me back with a slingshot effect and like hearing the whoosh of the intake and the roar of the exhaust. I had more fun driving my 2005 350Z leaving the dealership than I did on the test drive. What I realized was that I didn't want refinement and quiet - I wanted something I could feel connected to the road with in order to enjoy driving.

Instead I traded my 2005 350Z for a 2002 Z06. First time I've had a car that felt "good enough" in stock form.... but I'll probably start modding it in a year or so. vettedoctors in NY has a supercharger kit installed and tuned for around 6k that will take the car from roughly 350rwhp to 530rwhp. Plenty of people driving around with the kit, and I haven't found many sob stories.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Micah, you and I are cut from the same cloth. Refinement is nice on certain occasions, but my primary car needs to be raw.

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    he was driving a stock BMVW 335 Type R32
    Psssh. It's only a Neon.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I like rawness too when it comes to cars! The sound of the intake sucking and the turbo working is probably the greatest sounds in the world! Gosh I love my car!

I am still really confused to what the OP is trying to say...I think I read it 10 times and I still don't follow...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

maybe the OP means the GTI 337?
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I'm used to boost pushing me back with a slingshot effect and like hearing the whoosh of the intake and the roar of the exhaust.
    Perhaps because there is no lag in 335 that you don't feel the surge or the neck pulling back the seat when your turbo spool up? Honestly I do miss that feeling from WRX but 300hp twin turbo at the time I bought (almost 1 year now), there is nothing that I felt close to it for both performance and luxury.

The SC kit you mentioned for the Z06 is impressive for the amount of $ that you need to spend. I'm planning to build a project car (using the R32 thus I mentioned the test drive originally and confused the heck of everyone ) but in order to get to 500whp, I would need 12k+.

Quote Originally Posted by yass View Post
    Perhaps because there is no lag in 335 that you don't feel the surge or the neck pulling back the seat when your turbo spool up? Honestly I do miss that feeling from WRX but 300hp twin turbo at the time I bought (almost 1 year now), there is nothing that I felt close to it for both performance and luxury.

The SC kit you mentioned for the Z06 is impressive for the amount of $ that you need to spend. I'm planning to build a project car (using the R32 thus I mentioned the test drive originally and confused the heck of everyone ) but in order to get to 500whp, I would need 12k+.
    I had done plenty of research on the car back when I wanted to buy one, if memory serves all 300lbs of torque is available from 1800rpm. The warranty and included maintenance made the higher cost of the car almost seem justified. I believe the real issue was that I had forgotten about refinement and it's usual effect on curb weight. I was expecting the 335i to feel at least as fast as my WRX. The 335i coupe weighs around 3600lbs - where my WRX weighs about 500 lbs less. But my WRX has AWD so I thought the RWD 335i would have much less driveline losses and would be faster. Sadly - it's not.

I'll be using one of these two shops for a supercharger install in the future, likely sometime next year.

C5 SCRx Package

Custom ECS / Paxton SC600 Supercharger Kit - East Coast Supercharging - Retailer Installer for LSx C5 & C6 Performance

For now though, I'm happy with both cars as they are. WRX has more kick than most people expect from it, and gets 22mpg on average. C5Z06 in stock form is set up pretty well, and gets 18mpg on average.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I was hoping to hear better news on the 135. Both my old 633 and my brothers e36 M3 were/are raw enough to entertain fully. The e36 is parked at my parents while his DUI clears so I warm it up for him now and then. It is a bit techno for me but you pop the top and listen to the dinan pipes and feel the insta torque and forget about that quickly. Too bad the supercharger seems to have been present in the past but removed by the PO. The 633 was just an incredibly beefy feeling car that somehow also felt light (it actually was lighter than my WRX, but everything felt over built not rattley). I preferred the feel of the ****pit considerably and the overall gestalt even if it would be outperformed by the e36. Point being that both of those cars were very stimulating driving experiences that at least equaled my wrx in their completely different ways. I was hoping the newer models were similar.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

actually, the 335 can keep up with an STi, if not beat it, on a highway pull. Ive seen a few youtube videos of it. It's a nice car, i would buy one if i had the money (in white).

Some cars dont feel fast, but they are. My friend's mustang GT didnt feel as quick as my wrx does now, but then again his car is like 3800 lbs.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    actually, the 335 can keep up with an STi, if not beat it, on a highway pull. Ive seen a few youtube videos of it. It's a nice car, i would buy one if i had the money (in white).

Some cars dont feel fast, but they are. My friend's mustang GT didnt feel as quick as my wrx does now, but then again his car is like 3800 lbs.
    And that was exactly my result on highway. He actually gave up after I passed. Like I said, there is no turbo lag in 335 so the smoothness might not make one feel the snap back effect but it's defintely fast.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.