Subaru WRX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Hyundai Genesis

10K views 98 replies 18 participants last post by  302@12psi 
#1 ·
Anyone test drive one of these vs. Sti ? I saw one the other day V6 turbo badges thrown all over it. Cant believe Im thinking this but giving Sti owners a run for their money ?

#2 ·
Its got a lot of potential, ill admit that. Im pretty sure its a dumbed down Evo motor. so basically a flash and some boltons and you've got yourself some power!

But i would never consider this over a STi, thats just nonsense. Congrats Hyundai for making a car with some decent power, but im sure everything else is basically like the Tibby, which i am not impressed with.

#4 ·
i drove the 2.0 & hated it. felt cheap & heavy. no acceleration. no power. no comfort.

but then again, i didnt like the 08 sti either (if thats what youre comparing it to)

#5 ·
I would like to hear more from people. In a year when my WRX is paid off, I was going to look into one of these. 4cyl. w/track pack. My good friend is the sales manager for a Hyundai dealership. He sold me my Elantra DD for super cheap, and he showed me a number for the Genesis. I'd still keep the WRX. Just add another toy. The wagon seems to be turning into the truck of the family. Always hauling stuff, going mudding, carting the bloodhound.

Another that interested me was the Genesis Sedan. 375hp w a German built trans to take said hp. Pretty sweet ride to cart my family around in. For a good price.

#6 ·
You do realize that the V6 doesn't come in turbo, right? There is only the 2.0 turbo which is only good for 15.2-15.4 in the 1/4 mile. The V6 is non turbo and only good for about 13.7-13.8. So neither one would come close to the STI in a drag race. Even from a roll I think the STI would be able to hang with the V6. They are nice cars but in their individual segments they are not competitive. The V6 against the 370z, the Z is hands down the winner. The 2.0T against cars like the WRX, cobalt SS, SRT-4, all the other cars are better. Where Hyundai beats everyone is in the price, you just end up sacrificing performance.

As for the rumors of the 2.0T just being a detuned EVO motor it's false. The motor does share some similarities to the EVO motor but it's not like if you swap a few parts you have an EVO motor. That being said the motor in the 2.0T has shown to produce some good power. Then again for the money spent on modding it to be 13 sec or faster you could easily have just got a faster car to begin with.

Lastly, there is talks of in the near future offering a genesis coupe with the V8. This would be the same V8 that is offered in the sedan that makes near 400hp. If and when they ever do this it would be the only genesis worth buying.

#7 ·
For the money, there are few better cars out there than the Genesis. It comes with a ton of standard features and both the 2.0 and 3.8 take to mods very well. Also, it's not intended to compete with the 370, Hyundai has stated that it's target was the G37, for which it has won almost every comparo against.

#10 ·
The turbo Genesis had to be sold "de-tuned" or there would be no compelling reason to buy the v6. It's got plenty of potential and the chassis to put it to good use. Look how slow a stock DSM was back in the day.

I can't believe anyone is actually be willing to own that stupid smiling Speed3. Turbo + FWD has nothing on a turbo + RWD.

If I hadn't put all this on my Legacy I'd probably be in a Genesis now.

#11 · (Edited)
I can't believe anyone is actually be willing to own that stupid smiling Speed3.
i wasnt comparing them on a visual aspect, i was comparing them stock to stock performance wise.

Turbo + FWD has nothing on a turbo + RWD.
have you driven either one yet? if youre potentially basing it off of the previous MS3's you shouldn't. the new ones have significantly less torque steer/wheel hop than the other models did. it's cheaper than the genesis & IMO performed a lot better. maybe the genesis has more potential as far as modding in the future, but right out of the box i'd take the ms3 in a heartbeat

#15 ·
Why would anyone want to buy a V6 genisis coupe over the Nissan 370z. Thats just dumb.

#16 ·
Because it's $4-5k cheaper and some people aren't buying them for their 10/10ths performance. The 10yr powertrain / 5yr bumper to bumper is nice too. I'd buy one just to beat people who hate on Hyundai :D

I hope nobody buys a turbo car to keep it stock. Power is one thing a turbo platform can add easily and cheaply. I bought my Subaru for what it could become, not for how it was on the showroom floor.

BTW, the new MS3 keeps wheelspin down by retarding boost/throttle before and after shifts. You're sure not to spin if the nanny is pulling power. Meanwhile, the guy with the RWD traction and Torsen diff is pulling away because he can actually put down the power.

#17 ·
First run cars in the USDM are always detuned. 2 years of bugeyes and then POW, here's the real thing aka STI.

They are calling the Genesis the Mustang killer and with good mods I think they can be amazing. I watched a video of one putting like 350whp down.

And for the money a Z costs, I would spend on a new Miata, which was just done in a magazine comparison, and smoke it.

Pimping a Hyundai is funny.

We have a friend with a first gen. Tiberon that runs 10s and he drives it all the time. Same cat who permanently bolted a pizza delivery sign to the top of his 400whp DSM to mess with people. Why? It's just funny. And nothing is funnier than a cat in a STI getting smoked by a Tiberon.

And lets not judge to harshly on underdogs. We all know the RX8 are pretty much dogs. But that didn't stop them from winning the 24hrs of Daytona.

#25 ·
Mods for a naturally aspirated car aren't going to do nearly as much as those for a turbo car. Granted the v6 starts with 100hp more than the 4 but a lot of that has to do with the 4's de-tuning from the factory.

Of course a twin turbo v6 would be the ideal car but converting a NA car to turbo is never a cheap prospect. Up to ~ 400whp it's still easier and cheaper to do with the 4 cyl. After that it starts making sense to fortify the v6 for boosted duty.

They never made a v8 model because it wouldn't clear the hood line. If they made a hood bulge or other style change, a 380hp v8 coupe would fly off the showroom floor - literally.

G
#26 ·
Of course a Japanese/Korean company wouldn't make a V8 - that's American territory :tongue:

I agree though, an NA car doesn't have much potential unless you have uuber cash and plan on putting some type of forced induction on it. Still though, pull that motor, bore and stroke it out, port and polish it, put some freer flowing exhaust and an intake on it, lighten the crank and rotating mass... it could be kinda cool.... I like RWD what can I say

#29 ·
The Genesis sedan is currently available with a 368hp 4.6l V8..and it's a pretty nice one, by most reports. High 13's from the factory. Toyota also builds a beautiful 4 cam V8, used in their higher-end Lexus cars and their trucks.

#30 ·
Yep, Hyundai makes almost 100 more horsepower from their DOHC 4.6 than Ford did with theirs. It's ~70 more horsepower than the current Mustang's 3-valve 4.6 (only 55 more than the 2010 Mustang), plus it still beats it in torque too. The upcoming Equus sedan (larger than the Genesis sedan) will stretch the displacement to 5.0 liters and around 425hp. Domestic auto makers are using at least another liter to reach that mark.

Squeezing that engine into the Genesis coupe would be a real game changer.

G
#31 ·
I would still much rather have an American V8 :tongue: Much more potential I think. More aftermarket support and more tried/true/tested history. I'm sure the Hyundai is cheaper though. I am glad to see them doing things other than just econo cars.

#46 ·
Your out there in my book.

To think that just because it's American it's the best is rather strange.

You made a strong point to indicate that America has a strong hold on V8's and no one else can touch any of there V8's. We provide several examples and your rebuttle is to bring up the 350 engine which by and far isnt even the best example of small block american v-8's. The 350 is so popular because...well it's was popular. You could get the thing in so many different configurations in just about any mid size GM made throughout the 60's till the 80's.

With that being said one could make an obvious arguement that just about EVERY V8 chevy is behind the 8 ball so to speak. OHV motors are dated PERIOD. Until you start putting Direct injection, over head cams, and some other nifty features into the engine you arent going to convince me that's it's BEST because it's made by an American company.

I by no means think that America makes the worst stuff out there...but they arent the leader just because their company decides to headquarter somewhere.

#47 ·
Here's a little more for the flames :D

GM's LSx series of engines does impress in some very important ways: It's the cheapest way to make that much power, it's a lightweight package when considering its output, and it's reliable while doing so. Nobody would argue that they've made the pushrod engine far more capable than anyone would have imagined when all the OHC engines came onto the scene.

That said, you can bet I'm no Genesis shill. My grandparents have an LS460 (along with a 430) and will not buy another one after seeing the Genesis sedan. I have extensive seat time in the 460 and it's just not worth double the cost of a Genesis except for snob appeal.

My brother has an LS430 and is going to trade it on a Genesis. His other car is a Mercedes CL65 AMG so it's not like he doesn't know what a real luxury car is. Just a few weeks ago my uncle test drove a Genesis and traded his RX330 for it:

There are also three Azeras in the family so you can say we're converts. Hyundai is no longer a compromise -- it's the real deal. You hear all the good talk about them because it's true, and usually it's coming from a former skeptic.

#48 · (Edited)
One very interesting US-made V8 was that small Al unit from a few decades ago, I think it was marketed as a Buick (?) at the time. It was advanced for its time and it's the V8 that ended up in use by Rover, and smaller firms or even coachworks.

Then there are advanced cars that used a US V8. The Jensen FF comes to mind, since it was an AWD car with Ferguson driveline and equipped with an ABS system (Dunlop; aero derived). All this in the... 1960s!

There was a one-off derivative of the FF with a Hemi motor but in retrospect it's not worth dwelling on, since it neither made production nor differs in concept from any other modern car with hemispherical combustion chambers. So the irony IMO is that the most advanced car of its time, a car that would be considered advanced even two full decades after its introduction, used a Chrysler V8 that was primitive compared to the rest of the car.

EDIT: Saw the pictures/post above by John M. Car looks terrific in red. I've nothing against Hyundai themselves; I considered buying one at one point (an Atos with the 1.0L 4-cyl and 5spd plus A/C -- IMO a brilliant car by Hyundai that is competitive anywhere people live in close quarters).

G
#49 · (Edited)
I think it's probably fair to say that although that list I provided of the "10 Best Engines" or whatever was only for the US Market, that covers most all of us. What I mean is, we can sit here and discuss international engines all day long but at the end of the day, we really only have to chose from what is available in the US market. And to me, for so many Ford, GM, and Chrysler engines to make that list is impressive. For me, a measure of an engine's quality if you will is not it's international success - that's more of a marketing strategy I feel. I mean, there's a reason Japan or Korea isn't buying our V8 engines. It's a totally different culture I would argue. The great thing to me about America is that we do have so many options. We can get small econo-turbo engines, diesel trucks, V8 SUVs, great mid-level sedans, etc etc. Everything from the basic Civic to a Mercedes or something and everything in between.

#51 ·
I think it's probably fair to say that although that list I provided of the "10 Best Engines" or whatever was only for the US Market, that covers most all of us.
My next car won't be a Hyundai Atos but it might be a Peugeot 107 or its twin the Citroen C1. Making the same stuff over and over again for decades and relying on an almost built-in domestic fanbase to continue buying that stuff for no apparent reason other than habit and pride works to some extent and some times but it's just not on IMO.

I mean, there's a reason Japan or Korea isn't buying our V8 engines. It's a totally different culture I would argue.
Could that not be the precise reason people in the US buy US-made V8 motors, even ones that really aren't world class engines at this point (or any point in recent memory)?

I love large domestic V8 cars. I absolutely love what people commonly call "Yank Tanks." But what I love about them is how ridiculously wrong everything is, and how in the US I can actually find a big US car like that without having to buy it in black and without having to carry deceased persons to cemeteries -- in the rest of the world, meaning in most of the world, that would not be the case...

For the record, if I had to name two engine builders that I feel are absolutely world class, top tier leaders over the last few decades: Honda and BMW. Both have had missteps (example from each: V6 3.5L Hondas made of porous(!) alloys so oil literally seeped out and hand-assembled BMW motors for M cars that went boom-clank-clank) but both have consistently built great motors IMO. Neither Hyundai nor IMO Chevrolet are at that level (yet?).

LMAO nobody else found this funny?:rotfl:
That is very funny!

#52 ·
I'm an "America-hater" if I point out nice engines produced in other countries?

<==first car was a Chevy, powered by a sb350...before Wrinklechops was born...

G
#55 ·
All I was saying was why does it matter if every single country on earth produced better engines than we do when at the end of the day all we have to chose from are motors available to the US market basically?

#53 ·
The list is a joke honsetly. Other counties have had no need to build V8's until recently. Honda has once again scrapped their
V8 plans. Until some of the other countries started to market V8 trucks there was really no need as the companies were content on their 4 and 6 cylinder motors in their cars.

But once they've started to make them they are just as competitve if not more then competitve to the US companies.

G
#54 ·
You can't seriously say that the Japanese trucks are even slightly competitive with the US trucks. Is that what you're saying? I mean, they compete with entry level 1500 trucks from Dodge/Ford/Chevy but beyond that you can kiss the Jap crap trucks goodbye. Any 2500 or above will rock a Tundra or Titan's world any day when it comes to actual truck work, hauling things and not just looking pretty.

#58 ·
Unless I'm mistaken, the most successful truck manufacturers in the world are Isuzu, and Daimler (Mercedes, Unimogs, etc.). I think Hyundai actually are in the top five if memory serves.

All this is no more relevant to the Genesis than the US V8, but I thought it interesting and pertinent to at least one tangent in the discussion.

#63 ·
I remember being young and thinking that debate for debate's sake was important.

I also remember being told I was getting a jetpack by year 2000 growing up in the USA in the early 70's.

The V8 was introduced to the market by De Dion, for whom the famous dead axle is also named (although he doesn't get credit for inventing that either). He was a very large Frenchman who figured he needed a bigger motor than what he had:

US automakers made the first mass productions, starting with Cadillac, and made some of the major initial improvements. Beyond that (i.e. 1920's or so) we have no claim to it over other parts of the world.

Also, a straight 6 is a much better application for large trucks and is what is typically used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.