2010 Hyundai Genesis - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2010 Hyundai Genesis within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Liquidr1 Why would anyone want to buy a V6 genisis coupe over the Nissan 370z. Thats just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    Why would anyone want to buy a V6 genisis coupe over the Nissan 370z. Thats just dumb.
    Because it's $4-5k cheaper and some people aren't buying them for their 10/10ths performance. The 10yr powertrain / 5yr bumper to bumper is nice too. I'd buy one just to beat people who hate on Hyundai

I hope nobody buys a turbo car to keep it stock. Power is one thing a turbo platform can add easily and cheaply. I bought my Subaru for what it could become, not for how it was on the showroom floor.

BTW, the new MS3 keeps wheelspin down by retarding boost/throttle before and after shifts. You're sure not to spin if the nanny is pulling power. Meanwhile, the guy with the RWD traction and Torsen diff is pulling away because he can actually put down the power.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First run cars in the USDM are always detuned. 2 years of bugeyes and then POW, here's the real thing aka STI.

They are calling the Genesis the Mustang killer and with good mods I think they can be amazing. I watched a video of one putting like 350whp down.

And for the money a Z costs, I would spend on a new Miata, which was just done in a magazine comparison, and smoke it.

Pimping a Hyundai is funny.

We have a friend with a first gen. Tiberon that runs 10s and he drives it all the time. Same cat who permanently bolted a pizza delivery sign to the top of his 400whp DSM to mess with people. Why? It's just funny. And nothing is funnier than a cat in a STI getting smoked by a Tiberon.

And lets not judge to harshly on underdogs. We all know the RX8 are pretty much dogs. But that didn't stop them from winning the 24hrs of Daytona.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by indytruckboy View Post
    nothing is funnier than a cat in a STI

?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

?
    Toonces?
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Because it's $4-5k cheaper and some people aren't buying them for their 10/10ths performance. The 10yr powertrain / 5yr bumper to bumper is nice too. I'd buy one just to beat people who hate on Hyundai

I hope nobody buys a turbo car to keep it stock. Power is one thing a turbo platform can add easily and cheaply. I bought my Subaru for what it could become, not for how it was on the showroom floor.
    also to add the the Genesis has backseats as well, which is a plus.

As for the 2.0L genesis, that thing is quite heavy and even with a "stage 2" it would probably still be slower than a stage 2 wrx in any year.

I've heard a lot about the potential of these cars, but I've seen very little. Seems EMS is still a problem with them.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    agreed. FWIW- the 2010 speed3 is only 23k & is far more impressive.
    +1. Possibly 2nd or equal to the bang-for-buck performance of that $23k price range you mentioned is the 2009 Cobalt SS. I know it's got 5 years on the 2004 STi, but it posted a faster time around the Nurburgring than the STi. I have test driven a few and while I hate FWD, it's halfway decent. Hard to find a car that gives you 24mm sway bars stock, Launch Control and FFS, Brembo 4pot calipers, etc etc. Again, bang for buck. That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    I've heard a lot about the potential of these cars, but I've seen very little. Seems EMS is still a problem with them.
    I know Grimmspeed is hard at work trying to figure out some products for it.

GrimmSpeed :: Subaru Racing Parts

They have a Genesis coupe they're trying to play with....

The parts are out, the numbers aren't out to go with them. . . maybe because of tuning, maybe because the 2.0 is going to require a bit of work to reliably make power? . .. will be interesting to watch.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    The parts are out, the numbers aren't out to go with them. . . maybe because of tuning, maybe because the 2.0 is going to require a bit of work to reliably make power? . .. will be interesting to watch.
    I was really pulling for the V6 to be the model of aftermarket choice. I think there could be some serious power to be had out of that thing.

I thought this was nifty:

YouTube - Rhys Millen Hyundai Genesis Conquers Pikes Peak - Full Video

Mods for a naturally aspirated car aren't going to do nearly as much as those for a turbo car. Granted the v6 starts with 100hp more than the 4 but a lot of that has to do with the 4's de-tuning from the factory.

Of course a twin turbo v6 would be the ideal car but converting a NA car to turbo is never a cheap prospect. Up to ~ 400whp it's still easier and cheaper to do with the 4 cyl. After that it starts making sense to fortify the v6 for boosted duty.

They never made a v8 model because it wouldn't clear the hood line. If they made a hood bulge or other style change, a 380hp v8 coupe would fly off the showroom floor - literally.
    John M
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Mods for a naturally aspirated car aren't going to do nearly as much as those for a turbo car. Granted the v6 starts with 100hp more than the 4 but a lot of that has to do with the 4's de-tuning from the factory.

Of course a twin turbo v6 would be the ideal car but converting a NA car to turbo is never a cheap prospect. Up to ~ 400whp it's still easier and cheaper to do with the 4 cyl. After that it starts making sense to fortify the v6 for boosted duty.

They never made a v8 model because it wouldn't clear the hood line. If they made a hood bulge or other style change, a 380hp v8 coupe would fly off the showroom floor - literally.

Of course a Japanese/Korean company wouldn't make a V8 - that's American territory

I agree though, an NA car doesn't have much potential unless you have uuber cash and plan on putting some type of forced induction on it. Still though, pull that motor, bore and stroke it out, port and polish it, put some freer flowing exhaust and an intake on it, lighten the crank and rotating mass... it could be kinda cool.... I like RWD what can I say

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Of course a Japanese/Korean company wouldn't make a V8 - that's American territory
    They've used the 4.5L V8 in the past with two injection variants and presumably have access to the same motor or an evolved version now, plus they have their newer 4.6. Fitting it under the nose is another story though as mentioned.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    They've used the 4.5L V8 in the past with two injection variants and presumably have access to the same motor or an evolved version now, plus they have their newer 4.6. Fitting it under the nose is another story though as mentioned.
    Fair enough, but you cannot say that the truly powerful NA V8 club belongs to anyone other than the Americans Alright, well, maybe the Germans too...

I Support ClubWRX
    The Genesis sedan is currently available with a 368hp 4.6l V8..and it's a pretty nice one, by most reports. High 13's from the factory. Toyota also builds a beautiful 4 cam V8, used in their higher-end Lexus cars and their trucks.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Yep, Hyundai makes almost 100 more horsepower from their DOHC 4.6 than Ford did with theirs. It's ~70 more horsepower than the current Mustang's 3-valve 4.6 (only 55 more than the 2010 Mustang), plus it still beats it in torque too. The upcoming Equus sedan (larger than the Genesis sedan) will stretch the displacement to 5.0 liters and around 425hp. Domestic auto makers are using at least another liter to reach that mark.

Squeezing that engine into the Genesis coupe would be a real game changer.
    John M

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast