2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Last week I had a little fun with a Mazdaspeed 3. It wasn't the 2010 model but the last gen. ...

2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3

Last week I had a little fun with a Mazdaspeed 3. It wasn't the 2010 model but the last gen. We started from a roll pulling away from a stop light. We both started side by side and we both punched it and I pulled a half car on him immediately. His front bumper was at my rear door till 80 when we shut down. I'm not sure if he was modded or not, I just saw a big guage on his dash he must have added. All I have is a SPT CBE. I thought he would actually pull on me due to similiar HP numbers and him being FWD. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hmmmm, interesting comparison. Mazda's "Speed" line doesn't do much for me... I looked at a Mazdaspeed6 with about 20k miles a couple weeks ago and found the car to be fun to drive, but really cheap and plastic-y. After looking at Consumer Reports I came to the conclusion that the speed6 could not be even remotely reliable in the long (or short) run. The 6 speed felt pretty good though- not gonna lie. Subaru's will always have the off-the-line advantage because of AWD. Our low-end pick up will blow any Mazda away
    -Stink-Eye Mob #999-

2008 WRB WRX, Rally Armor Mud-flaps, ERZ Catless 3" exhaust, Tsudo DP, COBB AP (Stage 2)

I like a good sports sedan, I haven't actually drive a speed6, but it looked like a cool idea. Did you notice though, how outrageously expensive their new price was? FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwink View Post
    I like a good sports sedan, I haven't actually drive a speed6, but it looked like a cool idea. Did you notice though, how outrageously expensive their new price was? FAIL.
    Uh, have you looked at the sticker prices of new subies? 29K for a WRX, 40K for an STi?
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Uh, have you looked at the sticker prices of new subies? 29K for a WRX, 40K for an STi?
    If you saw a sticker price on a WRX that was 29K it was defininitly a premium version with the works (navi).

I got my base 09 WRX for 24,800

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidr1 View Post
    If you saw a sticker price on a WRX that was 29K it was defininitly a premium version with the works (navi).

I got my base 09 WRX for 24,800

Got my premium version for 26,427 including a SS.
    Grant | Stink Eye-Mob #133 | '09 WRX Premium
    STI Short Shifter, 25mm Front Sway Bar, 22mm Rear Sway Bar, Endlinks, Perrin Stealth (Black) Turbo back exhaust
    Pictures of My WRX http://www.flickr.com/photos/37962357@N02/

2009 WRX MSRP is $26,100.....2010 MS3 MSRP is $23,900

The Mazdaspeed6 was priced high, but most went off the lot somewhere in the 24-25K range (based on various mazda boards). They were supposed to compete with the legacy in the "functional fun toy for the more mature enthusiast" market. You can't compare the prices of the MS6 with the rex, they were'nt in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by kickniteasy View Post
    2009 WRX MSRP is $26,100.....2010 MS3 MSRP is $23,900

The Mazdaspeed6 was priced high, but most went off the lot somewhere in the 24-25K range (based on various mazda boards). They were supposed to compete with the legacy in the "functional fun toy for the more mature enthusiast" market. You can't compare the prices of the MS6 with the rex, they were'nt in competition.
    WRX msrp is not $26,100

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX | Subaru Vehicle

Its plain as day on Subaru's website. The base WRX starts at $24,995 for the Base model sedan.

I played my cards right ant got my base model 5 door hatch for less than the Sedan MSRP at $24,801.
    Last edited by Liquidr1; 08-21-2009 at 10:11 PM.

WRX msrp is not $26,100

2009 Subaru Impreza WRX | Subaru Vehicle

Its plain as day on Subaru's website. The base WRX starts at $24,995 for the Base model sedan.

I played my cards right ant got my base model 5 door hatch for less than the Sedan MSRP at $24,801.
    Sorry, should have specified. A wrx hatch w/ destination charge (as per the same site you linked to) is $26,190, the 2010 MS3 w/ destination charge is $23,900.....I was comparing hatch to hatch.

If you have USAA you can get a base hatch WRX for $24,077 but they won't go down on anything else (at least for me they didn't). A mazdaspeed3 can be gotten for $22,400 through USAA.
    Last edited by kickniteasy; 08-21-2009 at 10:45 PM.

Sorry, should have specified. A wrx hatch w/ destination charge (as per the same site you linked to) is $26,190, the 2010 MS3 w/ destination charge is $23,900.....I was comparing hatch to hatch.

If you have USAA you can get a base hatch WRX for $24,077 but they won't go down on anything else (at least for me they didn't).
    my dealer doesnt charge those BS destination charges. I refuse to pay them. I have never paid the destination markup for any car that i have bought. Car manufacturers have to ship vehicles to sell them and its already included into the price of the car. The extra that they try to make you pay for destination is just assrape.

If any dealer ever tried to make me pay, tax, title, BS dealer fees, and a destination charge, i instantly walk out.

Its called MSRP because the Manufacture has already calculated every cost associated with the car. Prodution, marketing, shipping, employee payroll, profit. Any one that gives into the rediculous destination charge needs to look for another dealer.

All that is needed in selling you the car is the MSRP and tax/title/license fees.
    Last edited by Liquidr1; 08-21-2009 at 10:52 PM.

my dealer doesnt charge those BS destination charges. I refuse to pay them. I have never paid the destination markup for any car that i have bought. Car manufacturers have to ship vehicles to sell them and its already included into the price of the car. The extra that they try to make you pay for destination is just assrape.

If any dealer ever tried to make me pay, tax, title, BS dealer fees, and a destination charge, i instantly walk out.
    Interesting since in Colorado tax is done through the state, title is done through the state, and tags are done through the state so you don't have a choice on that. Guess you're lucky enough to live in a state where you don't have to pay taxes on a new car? If so, awesome for you since I had to pay $1,600 to the state in taxes on my new car, and the dealer doesn't see a dime of that. If you think you didn't get charged a destination charge at some point down the line you're kidding yourself. Just do the "vehicle build" on the sites, that's what I'm going off of. If you want to take that out of the equation the MS3 actually comes out even cheaper since mazda has a higher destination charge. The fact is the MS3 cost a couple grand less (granted, you get less car, but some would argue with that couple grand you could make a competitive car with a rex) After all, a couple grand could easily make the difference between the original poster ending up in front and getting left behind since that car, from the story, seemed to be right there with him. Don't get all defensive on me....after all, we're all rex people here. However, I'm just not willing to say "My car is better than any other car EVAR and no other car can come close!" I think dollar for dollar the MS3 and WRX are pretty darn close. That's especially true given that mazda just entered the "tuner scene" recently and subaru pretty much built their brand on that image in terms of the WRX.

Interesting since in Colorado tax is done through the state, title is done through the state, and tags are done through the state so you don't have a choice on that. Guess you're lucky enough to live in a state where you don't have to pay taxes on a new car? If so, awesome for you since I had to pay $1,600 to the state in taxes on my new car, and the dealer doesn't see a dime of that. If you think you didn't get charged a destination charge at some point down the line you're kidding yourself. Just do the "vehicle build" on the sites, that's what I'm going off of. If you want to take that out of the equation the MS3 actually comes out even cheaper since mazda has a higher destination charge. The fact is the MS3 cost a couple grand less (granted, you get less car, but some would argue with that couple grand you could make a competitive car with a rex) After all, a couple grand could easily make the difference between the original poster ending up in front and getting left behind since that car, from the story, seemed to be right there with him. Don't get all defensive on me....after all, we're all rex people here. However, I'm just not willing to say "My car is better than any other car EVAR and no other car can come close!" I think dollar for dollar the MS3 and WRX are pretty darn close. That's especially true given that mazda just entered the "tuner scene" recently and subaru pretty much built their brand on that image in terms of the WRX.
    no no, i wasnt refering to the taxes. of course we pay taxes. that i meant was if a dealer tries to throw the destination fee on tope of all the taxes i walk out.

Oh and im not getting "definsive". I dont know where you got that from. im just having conversation.
    Last edited by Liquidr1; 08-21-2009 at 11:07 PM.

no no, i wasnt refering to the taxes. of course we pay taxes. that i meant was if a dealer tries to throw the destination fee on tope of all the taxes i walk out.

Oh and im not getting "definsive". I dont know where you got that from. im just having conversation.
    Fair enough...I'm new to the boards and you never know when someone's going to get all "internet, serious business" on you, haha. Got ya.....yeah, I'm with you on the destination charge or "dealer fees" (also known as pure profit). I guess my attitude was different since USAA has a "no haggle price" so I just walked in and said "this is what I'm paying". The destination charge was on my sticker but it sounds like you haggled that off.

Anyway.....back on topic.....WRX > MS3 lol I will say, as a long time member of mazda boards the WRX is hailed as the car everyone wanted but couldn't get a deal on so they got the MS3, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Did those prices include tax? I have never seen prices that high on the cars.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ05 View Post
    Did those prices include tax? I have never seen prices that high on the cars.
    the premiums can get that high depending on options. IMO there's nothing the premiums add that warrant the cost. Nice to have if you can find a deal on them, but nothing that's a "must have"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast