2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jstrunk Ive driven a MS3 08.5+ (they are a little different, pre 08.5) and from i can ...

Quote Originally Posted by jstrunk View Post
    Ive driven a MS3 08.5+ (they are a little different, pre 08.5) and from i can tell, the 1st and 2nd gear is NOTICEABLE slower. And by how much its limited, i think its about 25whp less.
    That is incorrect, the differences between model years 07-09 are 100% cosmetic. 1st and 2nd gear in the MS3 (any year pre '10) are geared so short it would be almost impossible to tell the difference in an uncontrolled environment. Traction control and steering angle also play a part in how much power gets to the ground and how quick the car feels. Being able to feel a 25hp difference in 1st and 2nd (which will be 75% wheel spin with TC off) is your imagination.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well at the risk of tootin' my own horn, I'm catching up to the MS-3's in my 08' in D-Stock Autocross. I'm 4 races into my autocross career, and have gone from 3 seconds behind in a minute course, to(since adding a 25mm frb, and Kumho XS'es) to only 1/2 second behind one of the local club's novice director in his tire class prepped D-stock MS-3.

I was a second or so ahead of an 09 WRX, as well, and 1 1/2 secs behind a 07 A-stock STi, so I guess I was having a pretty good day.

I think the torque hitting lower in the 08' makes up some of the horsepower it gives up in autocross, where you don't get out of 2nd very often.

in a couple weeks, I'll have some kosei K-1's on, and will lose 30-40 lbs of unsprung weight then, and maybe go to R-comps at the same time.
    Last edited by MurphysLaww; 09-09-2009 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post

But getting back on topic, any newer-model (especially an 09) WRX or any-year STI will murder a Mazdaspeed3 off the line, stock for stock. The Mazaspeed3 is wicked fast in 3rd gear onwards, though, and will happily walk by anything stock in Subaru's line-up.
    When the Mazdaspeed 3 first came out in Summer 2006 as a 2007 I remember reading somewhere that they are limited to like 89% power in 1st gear and 94% power in 2nd gear to control the wheelspin.
    So in first that means:
    234 hp
    249 tq

In 2nd that means:
    247 hp
    263 tq

Yeah I hear the MS3 is pretty strong in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.