2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3 - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by jamie007 Well we both took off slow when the light turned green and just punched it. Maybe ...

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Well we both took off slow when the light turned green and just punched it. Maybe we were going 5-10mph? To be honest I couldn't hear his car over my exhaust, but i'm guessing he was revving it out. We were pretty much even once we got going, I just got a jump on him. Plus I've seen stock 09 WRX's, putting down 270 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels on youtube, that probably helped...
    iv seen that vid too. I highly doubt its stock. It was probably cobb stage 1.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    friend of mine just made that purchase, hes stationed off base in japan thats how i got that info. the insurance is all kinds of off in that country. If you get hit while your car is parked in a legal parking spot, the wreck is partially your fault because your car shouldn't have been there to begin with according to japan insurance and law..
    It's nothing to do with insurance or law, it's all to do with racism. Those rules don't apply to natives, only to gaijin.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    Those rules don't apply to natives, only to gaijin.
    Well that's what you get for being a barbarian.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Registered User RealDealTarheel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Well that's what you get for being a barbarian.
    Hahahaha, so true.
    2005 Smog Silver STi

Illegally Hard Parked.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Well we both took off slow when the light turned green and just punched it. Maybe we were going 5-10mph? To be honest I couldn't hear his car over my exhaust, but i'm guessing he was revving it out. We were pretty much even once we got going, I just got a jump on him. Plus I've seen stock 09 WRX's, putting down 270 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels on youtube, that probably helped...
    I own a MS3 and used to own a WRX so I gotta chime in on this-- the MS3 is boost limited in the first few gears on the stock tune which is easily remedied with a simple boost controller or reflash. The car also has a dynamic stability control which limits torque when the steering wheel is not centered-- a feature that you can not turn off. If the MS3 driver had the traction control on, then the ECU cuts power as soon as it senses any wheel spin. Also, the MS3 falls flat on its face at about 5500rpm on the stock tune, so if this guy was winding it out to 6700 he was losing ground. To your 270ft/lb comment-- FWIW, my MS3 made 250whp and 277ft/lbs bone stock.

Your experience is pretty spot on against a stock MS3 from a 5mph roll up to 80, though i think if you had let it progress any further he would have steadily gained on the top end where your awd power loss would have done you in. The MS3 shines from a 30mph roll in 3rd gear up to about 120. Even stock there were not many stock cars that I couldn't at least hang with in that scenario.
    Current: 05 Mini Cooper S R53
    Former: 06 Acura RSX Type-S
    Former: 00 Integra GSR
    Former: 07 Mazdaspeed3
    Former: 04 WRX Stage 2+
    www.jscspeed.com

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ElBartoRex View Post
    FWIW, my MS3 made 250whp and 277ft/lbs bone stock.
    Impressive! What kind of dyno was this run done on, if you don't mind my asking?
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Quote Originally Posted by CJ05 View Post
    Did those prices include tax? I have never seen prices that high on the cars.
    Pre-tax. Here is an example, bought mine from this same dealer:

Subaru dealer Shaver Subaru located in Thousand Oaks CA
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

Impressive! What kind of dyno was this run done on, if you don't mind my asking?
    R/T Tuning Landsdale, PA 2wd Dynojet

look at that drop at 5500!!

I still miss my subie sometimes and vow to own another someday.
    www.jscspeed.com

I Support ClubWRX
    R/T Tuning Landsdale, PA 2wd Dynojet
    Thanks! It would be interesting to know stock '09 numbers on that same dyno. It's so hard to compare...my recent tune on a Mustang yielded some low-feeling numbers, I'd love to run it on someone's Dynojet for comparison.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Thanks! It would be interesting to know stock '09 numbers on that same dyno. It's so hard to compare...my recent tune on a Mustang yielded some low-feeling numbers, I'd love to run it on someone's Dynojet for comparison.
    are the 09's still having trans issues? The would be my biggest concern w/ another WRX.
    www.jscspeed.com

I Support ClubWRX
    are the 09's still having trans issues? The would be my biggest concern w/ another WRX.
    I'll be up-front and admit that I'm not an expert on the '09's..but the main issue I'm aware of are engine blows from those that were built within a certain date range. I don't know of any extraordinary transmission issues with the newer cars.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

There really are no trans issues...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

I'll be up-front and admit that I'm not an expert on the '09's..but the main issue I'm aware of are engine blows from those that were built within a certain date range. I don't know of any extraordinary transmission issues with the newer cars.
    never heard of a transmission issue for the 09 WRX.

As far as the engine blows goes, there is a polling somewhere on Nasioc? but thats if your build date is pre 10/08. So any new 09 WRX now should be okay, just check the build date.

Ive driven a MS3 08.5+ (they are a little different, pre 08.5) and from i can tell, the 1st and 2nd gear is NOTICEABLE slower. And by how much its limited, i think its about 25whp less.

yeah, if you rev it up, falls flat. but isn't that like the 09 WRX? above 5500 or so it tapers down and lose power?

If you guys did it from a DIG, WRX FTW because of AWD, but from a roll at 5mph-10mph it would be closer... still the WRX i think would win (there was a comparison in a mag or something i saw showing this)

Look at the MS3 trap speed in the quarter. I think its about.. 101? 105? breaks 100 i know that which isn't bad.

Anyways, both great cars, but i just bought my 09 WRX DGM and im not looking back to the ms3. I have another mazda i still enjoy tho.. (FD =D)

Quote Originally Posted by rollazn View Post
    That's insane... i saw a video of a stock 09 wrx dynoing on a dynojet and it had 229hp and 272 ft lb... with 20% drivetrain loss it'd be around 275hp/326 ft lb of torque at crank.

i'm confused. haha... i knew the 09 WRX had power but that's some sick numbers. I saw a car and driver dyno of their 08 STi and it only made 235hp and 254 ft lb...

I guess a lot has to do with the type of dyno too. I hear Mustang dyno aren't as nice with the numbers.

Anyways as the MS3 goes, I'm don't think a tune will change the limited torque... i believe it is its own stand alone system... Not completely sure though.
    Lets not forget that tuners can play with the drums of a dyno, or fudge the numbers to some extent if they want. Im always a little skeptical when I see a stock car or lightly modded car putting up rediculous numbers. A good test is what cars you can and cant beat when racing

I Support ClubWRX
    Mustangs read CONSIDERABLY lower than Dynojets. Dynojets are sort-of known for reading higher than average, for whatever reason....

Dyno Dash - AWD - Dynojet - Modified Magazine

I dyno-ed on a Mustang (the one in this article, actually!) with my 2008 STI + just a Cobb catted downpipe at 281whp/301wtq. I know this would be quite a bit higher on a Dynojet. Really, the numbers that go around for other people's cars are too funny, sometimes. Lots of dynos just read high to make the owners feel better.

But getting back on topic, any newer-model (especially an 09) WRX or any-year STI will murder a Mazdaspeed3 off the line, stock for stock. The Mazaspeed3 is wicked fast in 3rd gear onwards, though, and will happily walk by anything stock in Subaru's line-up.
    2010 SSM STI

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast