2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX vs. Mazdaspeed 3 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by kickniteasy the premiums can get that high depending on options. IMO there's nothing the premiums add that ...

Quote Originally Posted by kickniteasy View Post
    the premiums can get that high depending on options. IMO there's nothing the premiums add that warrant the cost. Nice to have if you can find a deal on them, but nothing that's a "must have"
    True, i guess adding every single accessory and upgrade available could get the car priced that high.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Mine is a Premium, everything but Nav. Sticker was 29,xxx and got it down to 25,xxx + inequity from a trade in, which put it back to sticker.
    2011 Honda CR-Z EX
    Milano Red / Navigation / 6MT

2009 WRX hatch premium SEM #52 Traded 7/28/11
    Kartboy STS & bushings // RedlineGoods Shifter & E-brake boots // Muffler delete pipe // Window tint //

the premiums can get that high depending on options. IMO there's nothing the premiums add that warrant the cost. Nice to have if you can find a deal on them, but nothing that's a "must have"
    There's no such thing as "must have" to begin with. It's all preference.

The premium (w/o navi) is basically 2k more. To me, it's worth it as I'm not really going to mod the car and I just wanted a little extra than what the base offers. Fog lights, moon roof, heated mirrors, windshield wiper de-icers, heated seats, and 10-speaker stereo (the stereo could be better, but it's still better than the base).

To say it's not worth it is subjective, but 2k more for those features is not breaking the bank or a rip-off, IMO.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Mine is a Premium, everything but Nav. Sticker was 29,xxx and got it down to 25,xxx + inequity from a trade in, which put it back to sticker.
    Great deal. The sticker on mine was 29 as well and I got it at invoice, which was 27k. Plus tax and plus extended warranty, it around 30k. 0% @ 60 months. Can't beat that.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor K View Post
    There's no such thing as "must have" to begin with. It's all preference.

The premium (w/o navi) is basically 2k more. To me, it's worth it as I'm not really going to mod the car and I just wanted a little extra than what the base offers. Fog lights, moon roof, heated mirrors, windshield wiper de-icers, heated seats, and 10-speaker stereo (the stereo could be better, but it's still better than the base).

To say it's not worth it is subjective, but 2k more for those features is not breaking the bank or a rip-off, IMO.
    Which would be why I said IMO.....because it is, after all, my opinion. I don't need the heated bells and whistles and since I've read even the upgraded stereo system is garbage I was planning on replacing everything anyway. I'd rather take that 2K and get a nice speaker set up and some go fast goodies. Again, nothing in there I considered a must have....but like you said, you're not planning on modding the car so I understand you wanting to go that route to get a little bit extra. If they would have added a short shifter and CBE to the premium I'd be all over it, but it's all in what you're looking for.

Which would be why I said IMO.....
    I guess I missed that part.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Last week I had a little fun with a Mazdaspeed 3. It wasn't the 2010 model but the last gen. We started from a roll pulling away from a stop light. We both started side by side and we both punched it and I pulled a half car on him immediately. His front bumper was at my rear door till 80 when we shut down. I'm not sure if he was modded or not, I just saw a big guage on his dash he must have added. All I have is a SPT CBE. I thought he would actually pull on me due to similiar HP numbers and him being FWD. I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
    Surprising result, i'm impressed. I own a MS3 and these cars are no slouch from a roll! However, they tend to perform better in higher rolls. The MS3 has torque limited in 1st and 2nd gear. At what speed did you guys start at? How was his shifting? Just curious.

Good run! I just got my new 09 MS3... however I was considering the WRX hatch prem. but the pricing was a bit more than the MS3. I got the MS3 GT (Hid,auto-on lights, rain-sensing wipers, led tail lights) for about 22K +ttl = 23600.

For the 09 WRX - it would have been at least 4-5K cheaper than the WRX prem. I did want AWD though!

Quote Originally Posted by rollazn View Post
    Surprising result, i'm impressed. I own a MS3 and these cars are no slouch from a roll! However, they tend to perform better in higher rolls. The MS3 has torque limited in 1st and 2nd gear. At what speed did you guys start at? How was his shifting? Just curious.

Good run! I just got my new 09 MS3... however I was considering the WRX hatch prem. but the pricing was a bit more than the MS3. I got the MS3 GT (Hid,auto-on lights, rain-sensing wipers, led tail lights) for about 22K +ttl = 23600.

For the 09 WRX - it would have been at least 4-5K cheaper than the WRX prem. I did want AWD though!

IMHO I really think your paying for that AWD... I like the MS3's but I just cant do another FWD car... Im all about the rear wheel if I cant get my AWD. But you do get a lot of car for the price you pay with the ms3's thats for sure...

What do you mean your limited in torque in 1st and 2nd? Is that to help protect the transmission?
    Last edited by Poohbear; 08-25-2009 at 09:28 PM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    IMHO I really think your paying for that AWD... I like the MS3's but I just cant do another FWD car... Im all about the rear wheel if I cant get my AWD. But you do get a lot of car for the price you pay with the ms3's thats for sure...

What do you mean your limited in torque in 1st and 2nd? Is that to help protect the transmission?
    Yeah... I've been a big fan of Subaru WRX. My cousin has an 04 STi... and I loved that thing!

However when it came down to it, the MS3 was cheaper and had more standard features. I really wanted the AWD - but didn't find it worth the extra bucks... at least to me.

My other choice was a 08 350Z - would been about the same price as the WRX and it's RWD... but I felt the MS3 was good enough for a fun daily driver.

Mazda uses some sort of advanced Torque Management System that limits boost in 1st and 2nd to reduce torquesteer (FWD FTL)... only in 3rd gear does it get all of the power and the 280 ft lb of torque. This is why I was curious at what speed they did the roll. These MS3 flys at mid speed rolls (around 40-50).

Well we both took off slow when the light turned green and just punched it. Maybe we were going 5-10mph? To be honest I couldn't hear his car over my exhaust, but i'm guessing he was revving it out. We were pretty much even once we got going, I just got a jump on him. Plus I've seen stock 09 WRX's, putting down 270 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels on youtube, that probably helped...
    Jamie
    2009 WRX Prem Hatch:
    Cobb stage II, Kartboy SS, SPT Catback, Cobb DP, WL Sways, Perrin/AVO Endlinks, Conti DWS

Previous rides:
    99 Civic Si (RIP), 2004 WRX, 2006 STI Cobb stage II

Wait... how is stock WRX making 270 ft lb of torque to the wheels?

Aren't they rated at 244 ft lb of torque at crank?!

Quote Originally Posted by jamie007 View Post
    Well we both took off slow when the light turned green and just punched it. Maybe we were going 5-10mph? To be honest I couldn't hear his car over my exhaust, but i'm guessing he was revving it out. We were pretty much even once we got going, I just got a jump on him. Plus I've seen stock 09 WRX's, putting down 270 ft/lbs of torque at the wheels on youtube, that probably helped...
    Boxer motors in general are torquie little things... I really think that Subaru underrated the torque of the newer wrx's in order to not come to close to the STi's. IMHO I dont think subaru thought there was going to be as much of a torque gain as what they got from 08 to 09. I know they wanted the horses, they even dyno the motors before it sets into your dog house to verify that it hits at least the 265 numbers. I dont know every motor is dyno'd or its just selected motors from build lots.

Thats really odd that mazda would limit in first and second, I would think the loss is negligible though... Torque steer can be a pain but it was never something that i thought to myself; "gee this torque steer should be eliminated by limiting my motors power"... I wonder if a tune would take care of that or if its its own stand alone system...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    Boxer motors in general are torquie little things... I really think that Subaru underrated the torque of the newer wrx's in order to not come to close to the STi's. IMHO I dont think subaru thought there was going to be as much of a torque gain as what they got from 08 to 09. I know they wanted the horses, they even dyno the motors before it sets into your dog house to verify that it hits at least the 265 numbers. I dont know every motor is dyno'd or its just selected motors from build lots.

Thats really odd that mazda would limit in first and second, I would think the loss is negligible though... Torque steer can be a pain but it was never something that i thought to myself; "gee this torque steer should be eliminated by limiting my motors power"... I wonder if a tune would take care of that or if its its own stand alone system...
    That's insane... i saw a video of a stock 09 wrx dynoing on a dynojet and it had 229hp and 272 ft lb... with 20% drivetrain loss it'd be around 275hp/326 ft lb of torque at crank.

i'm confused. haha... i knew the 09 WRX had power but that's some sick numbers. I saw a car and driver dyno of their 08 STi and it only made 235hp and 254 ft lb...

I guess a lot has to do with the type of dyno too. I hear Mustang dyno aren't as nice with the numbers.

Anyways as the MS3 goes, I'm don't think a tune will change the limited torque... i believe it is its own stand alone system... Not completely sure though.

That's insane... i saw a video of a stock 09 wrx dynoing on a dynojet and it had 229hp and 272 ft lb... with 20% drivetrain loss it'd be around 275hp/326 ft lb of torque at crank.

i'm confused. haha... i knew the 09 WRX had power but that's some sick numbers. I saw a car and driver dyno of their 08 STi and it only made 235hp and 254 ft lb...

I guess a lot has to do with the type of dyno too. I hear Mustang dyno aren't as nice with the numbers.

Anyways as the MS3 goes, I'm don't think a tune will change the limited torque... i believe it is its own stand alone system... Not completely sure though.
    You gotta watch getting your information from youtube... Take it with a grain of salt... We dont know for sure if it was stock or not... I have no idea what stock numbers are on an 09... I would need to put mine on a dyno and see for sure...

However with that being said its possible I guess. Just remember that most car manufacturers under rate the cars actuall numbers for any great amount of reasons. In Japan no matter the car they always have the same top HP.. (i think its 280 or 288 or some junk) for insurance reasons... By a skyline the dealer will say 280 lol...

friend of mine just made that purchase, hes stationed off base in japan thats how i got that info. the insurance is all kinds of off in that country. If you get hit while your car is parked in a legal parking spot, the wreck is partially your fault because your car shouldn't have been there to begin with according to japan insurance and law..

I havent really seen a plethora of information about stock dyno numbers available for the 09... Most of what I find are numbers in % from manufactures, not actual labeled graphs from owners. Were all just going to have to wait and see..

Or everyone can send me some money for some dyno time and ill post numbers

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

this is my buddys chart from stock to stage 2 on a dyno dynamics(low reading dyno)

Stage2 25hp upgrade??? 09 wrx sedan - NASIOC

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.