Got left by a Charger R/T - what the?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Got left by a Charger R/T - what the? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm riding up to Virgina beach when this ignorant dude wearing a wife beater rolls up behind me, and is ...

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar

Got left by a Charger R/T - what the?

I'm riding up to Virgina beach when this ignorant dude wearing a wife beater rolls up behind me, and is tailing me while hanging half out his window taunting me. So, I slap it into 5th and start jumping a few cars on this 3 lane highway. He's still on my tail tough, and despite my best intentions, I'm not pulling away from him. After he trails me for a half mile, I go right around a car, he goes left, and .... gets in front of me.http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/images...s/sadwavey.gif Bastard. I tail him for a quarter mile but it's clear he came out on top, as he pulls back beside me, hanging out his window, running his mouth with some mess, and then pulls off at the nearest exit.

I have the 08 sti and didn't switch it to sport sharp mode. Don't know if that would have made a difference. Regardless, I got smoked, and my girl was in the passenger seat. Embarrassing!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Doubt it was stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverand Hustle View Post

I have the 08 sti and didn't switch it to sport sharp mode. Don't know if that would have made a difference.
    nope, judging from your story, you still would have gotten smoked the same way. Sport sharp mode just makes throttle response quicker, but it's not gonna help with your shifting or whatnot.

time to get turboback exhaust and EM.

Whyd you go 5'th...
    instant 4'th, sport mode for increased response, and mash the ****ing pedal.
    Woulda torched him.

Then follow him off the ramp and tell him from a stop.
    You woulda eaten him alive from a stop or roll.
    Current Ride:'04 JBP WRX Stage 2!

Previous Ride: 96' Civic EJ8 - Sold

The Hemi is most at home on the upper half of the tach, right where the stock turbo of even an STi starts to wane.

That coupled with your shift to 5th instead of 4th was enough to do you in (assuming you weren't starting from some insane speed).

FWIW, my Legacy put one in its place when I was Stage 2. It was a Daytona model too, in Go Mango color. I'm sure he was wondering why he didn't stomp the "Camry with a hood scoop."

They'll need a bit more work to even stay close now
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverand Hustle View Post
    So, I slap it into 5th
    There is your problem
    2004 WRX (currently driving)
    2000 Audi S4 APR tuned (sold)
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )
    1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

Quote Originally Posted by wrxwagon2 View Post
    There is your problem
    yea, whyd you start in 5th?

stock sti's are slow, i took an 09 w/o even downshifting
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    nope, judging from your story, you still would have gotten smoked the same way. Sport sharp mode just makes throttle response quicker, but it's not gonna help with your shifting or whatnot.

time to get turboback exhaust and EM.
    Sports sharp actually changes the amount of available boost and throttle mapping. It's not just throttle mapping. If the original poster wasn't using S#, he would pretty much get beaten by a dead turtle.

And the fact that STIs are NOT highway monsters doesn't help, and ESPECIALLY not in 5th gear.
    2010 SSM STI

they are deceptive cars. my buddy at work had one and would start to pull on me around 90mph. with a good driver they trap a good 101-102 mph. and u never know if those domestic v8's have a reflash.
    03 RRP RSX Type-S, Tein:Hood Damper, IPS:K2 Cams/Ti Retainers, Eibach:EVS, ES:MMi's, BuddyClub:SS Race Header, Greddy:SP2 Exhaust, Hondata:K-Pro, Injen:CAI, JDM:Shift Knob, Comptech:ShortShift Adapter, CompetitionClutch:Stage 2 Kit, ACT:Streetlite Flywheel, Rotora:F&R Slotted Rotors/SS Lines, Axxis:Ultimate Pads, Rota:C10's in Full Royal Sport Bronze (17"x7.5"), BFGoodrich:g-Force Sport (225/45ZR17), CRSX:Springs, Ingals:Camber Kit, RP:Coolant, M1EP:Oils...265whp/185wtq

I wouldn't of mattered if you went into 4th either.
    If it was the new 376 hp R/T they are much stronger on the highway from a roll than their trap speeds indicate and the opposite is true with turbocharged 4 banger engines like these, (which have trap speeds that are faster than they really are from a rolling run) and add in AWD and you would need a tune to keep up.

My brother in law recently picked up a new R/T...I hope he doesn't read this and think he can beat me...I will have to embarrass him.
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

Quote Originally Posted by wrxnews View Post
    My brother in law recently picked up a new R/T...I hope he doesn't read this and think he can beat me...I will have to embarrass him.
    Just go from a dig up to 100 then.
    But if he says, "yeah but you have the AWD advantage, let's go from a 40 or 60 mph roll"
    you can't chicken out.

I love F/I cars, especially F/I 6's like my last two cars (335i's) but when you get into triple digit speeds, that's when V8's start to shine and F/I engines start to get heat soaked and start to run out of breath when compared to NA engines of larger displacement.
    That's why F/I V8's rule.

its all about driving and shifting technique. I just smoked a charger rt and a mustang gt, yesterday.

Not all turbo cars are weak on the top end -- just those with a small stock turbo tuned for response rather than power. I can promise you my car's power delivery doesn't fall off past 100 mph. It's non-stop until I run out of gear. All I had to do was get a real turbo.

Tell a Supra owner their 6 cylinder's power lessens up top!

If you think a blown v8 is fun, try a twin turbo v12 -- they're a blast.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    If you think a blown v8 is fun, try a twin turbo v12 -- they're a blast.
    I can only imagine.

My car finally has something resembling top-end power, even though I'm still a measly 4-banger turbo. It's weird to open it up at 55mph and have something happen.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast