Subaru WRX Forum banner

Got left by a Charger R/T - what the?

19K views 80 replies 33 participants last post by  subieblue2002 
#1 ·
I'm riding up to Virgina beach when this ignorant dude wearing a wife beater rolls up behind me, and is tailing me while hanging half out his window taunting me. So, I slap it into 5th and start jumping a few cars on this 3 lane highway. He's still on my tail tough, and despite my best intentions, I'm not pulling away from him. After he trails me for a half mile, I go right around a car, he goes left, and .... gets in front of me.http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/images/smilies/sadwavey.gif Bastard. I tail him for a quarter mile but it's clear he came out on top, as he pulls back beside me, hanging out his window, running his mouth with some mess, and then pulls off at the nearest exit.

I have the 08 sti and didn't switch it to sport sharp mode. Don't know if that would have made a difference. Regardless, I got smoked, and my girl was in the passenger seat. Embarrassing!!

#8 ·
Sports sharp actually changes the amount of available boost and throttle mapping. It's not just throttle mapping. If the original poster wasn't using S#, he would pretty much get beaten by a dead turtle.

And the fact that STIs are NOT highway monsters doesn't help, and ESPECIALLY not in 5th gear.

#30 ·
Not all of them are. I would never want one of these, but I would sure take it for a joyride:

I've always secretly loved the SRT-8 Charger...I'd never want one simply because they only come in Auto :sadwave:

Now a Caddy CTS-V on the other hand? Give me that Corvette ZO6 Driveline :wiggles:

#4 ·
Whyd you go 5'th...
instant 4'th, sport mode for increased response, and mash the ****ing pedal.
Woulda torched him.

Then follow him off the ramp and tell him from a stop.
You woulda eaten him alive from a stop or roll.

#5 ·
The Hemi is most at home on the upper half of the tach, right where the stock turbo of even an STi starts to wane.

That coupled with your shift to 5th instead of 4th was enough to do you in (assuming you weren't starting from some insane speed).

FWIW, my Legacy put one in its place when I was Stage 2. It was a Daytona model too, in Go Mango color. I'm sure he was wondering why he didn't stomp the "Camry with a hood scoop."

They'll need a bit more work to even stay close now :D

#9 ·
they are deceptive cars. my buddy at work had one and would start to pull on me around 90mph. with a good driver they trap a good 101-102 mph. and u never know if those domestic v8's have a reflash.

#10 ·
I wouldn't of mattered if you went into 4th either.
If it was the new 376 hp R/T they are much stronger on the highway from a roll than their trap speeds indicate and the opposite is true with turbocharged 4 banger engines like these, (which have trap speeds that are faster than they really are from a rolling run) and add in AWD and you would need a tune to keep up.

#12 ·
Just go from a dig up to 100 then.
But if he says, "yeah but you have the AWD advantage, let's go from a 40 or 60 mph roll"
you can't chicken out.

I love F/I cars, especially F/I 6's like my last two cars (335i's) but when you get into triple digit speeds, that's when V8's start to shine and F/I engines start to get heat soaked and start to run out of breath when compared to NA engines of larger displacement.
That's why F/I V8's rule. :D

#14 ·
Not all turbo cars are weak on the top end -- just those with a small stock turbo tuned for response rather than power. I can promise you my car's power delivery doesn't fall off past 100 mph. It's non-stop until I run out of gear. All I had to do was get a real turbo.

Tell a Supra owner their 6 cylinder's power lessens up top!

If you think a blown v8 is fun, try a twin turbo v12 -- they're a blast.

#15 ·
If you think a blown v8 is fun, try a twin turbo v12 -- they're a blast.
I can only imagine. :eek3:

My car finally has something resembling top-end power, even though I'm still a measly 4-banger turbo. It's weird to open it up at 55mph and have something happen. :rotfl:

#17 ·
I assume all cars are modded - stock sucks no matter what it is.

My Stealth TT trapped 109 mph on stock twins with the stock cat-back and stock ICs. That's not a bad trap for such tiny turbos and a 4k lb car. I outran many an LS1 (from a roll) in the day.

You really need to ride in a 65-series Benz if you think they lack power at any point in the rpm band. 740 ft/lbs of torque qualifies as "plenty" in my book, and the 122 mph traps they do in bone stock trim say it continues up top as well. The 605 horsepower almost gets lost in the other figures. With a tune and better heat exchangers (air-to-water IC), traps reach 130 mph with no other changes -- even stock exhaust. They're doing this in cars that weigh 4500lbs too. 6.0 liters + 21 psi is a win for everybody.

I'm no stranger to v8's. One of my upcoming projects will be a twin turbo LT1 Cadillac Fleetwood, just because you don't see it done every day. I'll have to find a clean example (probably in FL :D ) and make it a sleeper with as close to 1000 hp as I can get.

I've owned a dozen turbo DSMs to include a Galant VR4 and Mirage turbo, two Stealth TTs, plus the odd Grand Marquis, two Chevy 4x4 trucks, and a Cadillac DeVille. All except the Caddy were modded because I don't leave anything stock. The Grand Marquis ran a 9.9 in the 1/8th - pretty respectable for what it was!

#18 ·
Wow 109 in a Stealth TT, that's impressive.
I agree with what you are saying for sure.
I've never driven or even ridden in an 65 series.
No doubt they have power, but again, my deal with them is weight and V12's just don't seem to like to rev. I'd prefer a 600 hp TT V8 over the 600 hp TT V12 anyday. But that's just me.
V8's sound awesome, and are the best compromise of ultimate power but good weight too. Larger displacement TT 6 cylinders are great too.
Hence one of the reasons even BMW appears to be taking that route with the upcoming M5 and M3.

I loved my 335i.
But at 3.0 liters it's a small 6.
My guess for over a year was the next M3 would be a 3.4-3.5 liter TT 6 with 430+ hp. And in recent months it's been said by BMW that it looks like I guessed right (well the displacement hasn't been given yet though).

The M3 should be 3.4-3.5 revving to 7500 rpms minimum too. That will be an awesome set up.

Back in 2005 I guessed/suggested/hoped Subaru would make a TT version of their F6 for the Legacy. That sadly has never happened.

#19 ·
it wasnt stock. And/or that 5th gear downshift screwed you over. I had a new challenger r/t but in stick shift race me ( 02 with full exhaust intake on 16psi) and i had no problem with him. didnt blow his doors off either but enough to claim the win. The sti should be faster than my car and those chargers are heavier and auto. Try to run one again and see the output of the race

This post has been deleted
#24 ·
I know right! I got punked. That dude let me know it too. But never again. Lessons learned, and I appreciate the fine brothas and sistas on the threads dropping the truth for the young black youth.

What are the main reasons the car feels faster at times? Can wind resistance do that? Or is my clutch & shift action changing that much? I always fill with the same gas.

Somedays, I feel like I could lose the handle on the thing, and then other days I'm like, "where's the beeef?"

#29 ·
I'd like to throw a car into the mix, what is everyones feelings on Audi's 2010 A6? that's a blown 6 puttin 330hp vs the Charger in question...

Would the blown v6 move past the n/a 8?? audi's are highway cars - i've driven in the 2.7T that thing was a monster, my cousin ran the 4.2 V8 A6 and was walkin it like it wasn't even there...

#40 ·
So my LS2, LS6 head, cammed, LT header, 6spd Tremec, GTO... no fear... end of story.

#45 · (Edited)
Two different cars, but:

GTO has better straight line power and top-end.

A stock GTO handles better than a stock WRX (pre-07, at least), but can't touch an STI or modded-WRX in the twisties.

The interior is much better in the GTO. Probably one of the best interior of any GM car previous (other than maybe a Caddy).

The Subaru is lot more fun to mod though ;)

Modded GTOs, especially supercharged ones, are very hard to beat in a drag race. A lot of rich boys in their 911s get a big surprise when they get schooled by a G6/Cavalier.lol.

View attachment 86043

View attachment 86044

View attachment 86045

View attachment 86046

#58 ·
As much as that blows to lose to a charger I think you can still go home happy knowing you didnt spend your money on a worthless car that cant go anywhere fast except forward and back. And even then its not that fast.....its mildly quick.

Did i mention that its a heavy behemouth?

#64 ·
I'll add my input again in this 1.5yr old thread revival...

The replacement for my LGT will be a 300C SRT8 once I get the finances straight. They might be big & heavy but they put up the same numbers as a C5 in handling and braking as well as acceleration. I'll take that and enjoy the bone stock reliability. Ok, so I'll do an intake/exhaust/tune but that's all it'll take to dip into the 12s at 110-112 mph.

#67 ·
Holy thread from the dead Batman!

#72 ·
You got to remember an STI is great at some things, not so hot at others. I actually traded an '05 corvette for an '11 STI and I tell people that both cars are totally different to drive. My Vette - similar to a Mustang or Charger had tons of torque and tall gearing. My STI is geared lower and in sport sharp is an animal out of the blocks. On a tight short course with a lot of turns it would smoke my vette like a cheap cigar. On a longer course with longer straights my vette would open a speed clinic on my STI. Going toe to toe with an R/T on the highway is a good way to get worked over. Take him to a tight road course and school him.

#75 ·
I agree with most of what you said. However, as a vette owner myself and a frequent traveler of tight, twisty mountain roads, i found the vette to have excellent manners out there....as long as i can keep the rear end from breaking loose, haha. I feel that it is probably more driver input more then anything when it comes to handling characteristics of Vette vs STI. Put a driver who knows how to maximize the grip, plus its wide stance and super low center of gravity, i would say the vette would be at least on par with the STi in even the small twisty courses.

But then again, we are comparing apples to oranges, the vettes are made to go fast in corners, and even faster in straights. STi's are made to go fast in corners and fast in straights, that and carry 5 people too haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.