Got left by a Charger R/T - what the? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Got left by a Charger R/T - what the? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by John M Not all turbo cars are weak on the top end -- just those with a ...

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Not all turbo cars are weak on the top end -- just those with a small stock turbo tuned for response rather than power. I can promise you my car's power delivery doesn't fall off past 100 mph. It's non-stop until I run out of gear. All I had to do was get a real turbo.

Tell a Supra owner their 6 cylinder's power lessens up top!

If you think a blown v8 is fun, try a twin turbo v12 -- they're a blast.
    I was talking about stock cars and stock turbos for the most part and I also said, "compared to NA engines of higher displacement." And when it comes to heatsoak and getting winded, that's pretty much true of F/I engines of smaller displacement when compared to NA engines of larger displacement.

Yes, of course a modded Supra will run fast all the way to the top, and your car may too.

But what are you comparing it too?
    If all else is equal (gearing, weight, aerodynamics, etc) one car with a blown 6 cylinder making 500 hp and another with a high revving NA V8 making 500 hp, sure the blown 6 is going to feel fast (and certainly will be especially down low, but I'd put my money on the high revving V8 taking it and pulling harder as the speeds increase to 120, 140, 150+ mph.
    This is of course, if your at or near sea level too.
    Then you have to take multiple runs into consideration with F/I cars. Heatsoak is always prevalent with them. Where N/A engines get very warm and may lose a bit of power, F/I engines get very HOT and lose significant power. Sure you can combat this a decent amount with larger intercoolers, oil coolers, meth, etc. But again comparing pretty much stock for stock. Start adding equivalent mods to a NA V8 as to a F/I 4 or 6 and then well you have another comparison all together.

twin turbo V12's are more luxury cruisers they don't rev much therefore they have lots of low and mid range grunt, but are much more "relaxed" at higher rpms. I prefer TT V8's anyday (lighter and rev up too).
    And don't get me wrong, I like F/I engines, of the 35+ cars I've owned in 20 or so years, 7-8 of them have been F/I (my last 4 cars included Legacy GT, then two BMW 335i's and now this WRX)
    Last edited by Driver72; 09-21-2009 at 08:32 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I assume all cars are modded - stock sucks no matter what it is.

My Stealth TT trapped 109 mph on stock twins with the stock cat-back and stock ICs. That's not a bad trap for such tiny turbos and a 4k lb car. I outran many an LS1 (from a roll) in the day.

You really need to ride in a 65-series Benz if you think they lack power at any point in the rpm band. 740 ft/lbs of torque qualifies as "plenty" in my book, and the 122 mph traps they do in bone stock trim say it continues up top as well. The 605 horsepower almost gets lost in the other figures. With a tune and better heat exchangers (air-to-water IC), traps reach 130 mph with no other changes -- even stock exhaust. They're doing this in cars that weigh 4500lbs too. 6.0 liters + 21 psi is a win for everybody.

I'm no stranger to v8's. One of my upcoming projects will be a twin turbo LT1 Cadillac Fleetwood, just because you don't see it done every day. I'll have to find a clean example (probably in FL ) and make it a sleeper with as close to 1000 hp as I can get.

I've owned a dozen turbo DSMs to include a Galant VR4 and Mirage turbo, two Stealth TTs, plus the odd Grand Marquis, two Chevy 4x4 trucks, and a Cadillac DeVille. All except the Caddy were modded because I don't leave anything stock. The Grand Marquis ran a 9.9 in the 1/8th - pretty respectable for what it was!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I assume all cars are modded - stock sucks no matter what it is.

My Stealth TT trapped 109 mph on stock twins with the stock cat-back and stock ICs. That's not a bad trap for such tiny turbos and a 4k lb car. I outran many an LS1 (from a roll) in the day.

You really need to ride in a 65-series Benz if you think they lack power at any point in the rpm band. 740 ft/lbs of torque qualifies as "plenty" in my book, and the 122 mph traps they do in bone stock trim say it continues up top as well. The 605 horsepower almost gets lost in the other figures. With a tune and better heat exchangers (air-to-water IC), traps reach 130 mph with no other changes -- even stock exhaust. They're doing this in cars that weigh 4500lbs too. 6.0 liters + 21 psi is a win for everybody.

I'm no stranger to v8's. One of my upcoming projects will be a twin turbo LT1 Cadillac Fleetwood, just because you don't see it done every day. I'll have to find a clean example (probably in FL ) and make it a sleeper with as close to 1000 hp as I can get.

I've owned a dozen turbo DSMs to include a Galant VR4 and Mirage turbo, two Stealth TTs, plus the odd Grand Marquis, two Chevy 4x4 trucks, and a Cadillac DeVille. All except the Caddy were modded because I don't leave anything stock. The Grand Marquis ran a 9.9 in the 1/8th - pretty respectable for what it was!
    Wow 109 in a Stealth TT, that's impressive.
    I agree with what you are saying for sure.
    I've never driven or even ridden in an 65 series.
    No doubt they have power, but again, my deal with them is weight and V12's just don't seem to like to rev. I'd prefer a 600 hp TT V8 over the 600 hp TT V12 anyday. But that's just me.
    V8's sound awesome, and are the best compromise of ultimate power but good weight too. Larger displacement TT 6 cylinders are great too.
    Hence one of the reasons even BMW appears to be taking that route with the upcoming M5 and M3.

I loved my 335i.
    But at 3.0 liters it's a small 6.
    My guess for over a year was the next M3 would be a 3.4-3.5 liter TT 6 with 430+ hp. And in recent months it's been said by BMW that it looks like I guessed right (well the displacement hasn't been given yet though).

The M3 should be 3.4-3.5 revving to 7500 rpms minimum too. That will be an awesome set up.

Back in 2005 I guessed/suggested/hoped Subaru would make a TT version of their F6 for the Legacy. That sadly has never happened.

it wasnt stock. And/or that 5th gear downshift screwed you over. I had a new challenger r/t but in stick shift race me ( 02 with full exhaust intake on 16psi) and i had no problem with him. didnt blow his doors off either but enough to claim the win. The sti should be faster than my car and those chargers are heavier and auto. Try to run one again and see the output of the race

Wrinklechops
    Chargers can be fast. I beat an R/T once only because there were sharp turns on the highway. Forget about touching the SRT-8 Chargers even stock probably. Modded it'd be game over.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfan View Post
    And based on that same theory, STi is something you get in your eye, that pesky sort of painful itchy unwanted mass...
    I had one once. It was painful.

Look at this picture I found online when Googling for STi and "eye stye":

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar

So I should have dropped it to fourth

Funny, why didn't I think of that? What RPMs do you want to keep this thing at? about 5k or 6k?

Man i have seen some bad chargers, but come on do you know what those things weigh, you may want to practice snatching gears a little faster ha ha jk

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mantosride View Post
    Man i have seen some bad chargers, but come on do you know what those things weigh, you may want to practice snatching gears a little faster ha ha jk

I know right! I got punked. That dude let me know it too. But never again. Lessons learned, and I appreciate the fine brothas and sistas on the threads dropping the truth for the young black youth.

What are the main reasons the car feels faster at times? Can wind resistance do that? Or is my clutch & shift action changing that much? I always fill with the same gas.

Somedays, I feel like I could lose the handle on the thing, and then other days I'm like, "where's the beeef?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverand Hustle View Post
    I know right! I got punked. That dude let me know it too. But never again. Lessons learned, and I appreciate the fine brothas and sistas on the threads dropping the truth for the young black youth.

What are the main reasons the car feels faster at times? Can wind resistance do that? Or is my clutch & shift action changing that much? I always fill with the same gas.

Somedays, I feel like I could lose the handle on the thing, and then other days I'm like, "where's the beeef?"
    Turbo cars are not at all consistent. Some days are fast days and some are slow. Just the nature of forced induction. Temperature plays a lot into it, as does boost. If you put your foot down in 3rd, it's often not as fast as going through first and second, building up boost before switching to third. Get used to it.
    2010 SSM STI

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    nope, judging from your story, you still would have gotten smoked the same way. Sport sharp mode just makes throttle response quicker, but it's not gonna help with your shifting or whatnot.

time to get turboback exhaust and EM.
    dead wrong. sport sharp would have made a world difference, as it ups the boost. You could have done much better in that race. shame too cuz chargers are pigs

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    shame too cuz chargers are pigs
    Not all of them are. I would never want one of these, but I would sure take it for a joyride:

LMAO! That was halarious! I get that a lot myself...

I'm sure he was wondering why he didn't stomp the "Camry with a hood scoop."

I'd like to throw a car into the mix, what is everyones feelings on Audi's 2010 A6? that's a blown 6 puttin 330hp vs the Charger in question...

Would the blown v6 move past the n/a 8?? audi's are highway cars - i've driven in the 2.7T that thing was a monster, my cousin ran the 4.2 V8 A6 and was walkin it like it wasn't even there...

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Not all of them are. I would never want one of these, but I would sure take it for a joyride:

I've always secretly loved the SRT-8 Charger...I'd never want one simply because they only come in Auto

Now a Caddy CTS-V on the other hand? Give me that Corvette ZO6 Driveline
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.