Seriously... He wants to race? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 135

This is a discussion on Seriously... He wants to race? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by WilliamG Except an STI doesn't run 13s, stock. It runs high 12s if you know what you're ...

  1. #76
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Except an STI doesn't run 13s, stock. It runs high 12s if you know what you're doing.

    And on paper, exclusively talking 1/4 mile, the current-gen STI is neck and neck with an E92 M3. Of course the M3 has a lot more at the higher end...
    It most certainly doesn't run 12s up here in Colorado heck, even a Stage II STi won't run 12s here. In fact, if they're running 13s here that would mean they're in the 12s at sea level at that Stage II so there is no way they're running 12s stock. Either that, or I'm losing my mind. Probably the latter.

    I would like to see some data on this "neck and neck" nonsense between the current gen STi vs an E92 M3. Not that I doubt you...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #77
    Registered User tarmacsti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Africa, Jo'burg
    Posts
    862
    Pizza delivery scooter deep staging me at the light...
    At first i giggled but thought he deserved a race... so launched it when the light changed...
    **__The Hawk-Eye Alliance__**
    Member #0135

  4. #78
    Moderator WilliamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,215
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    It most certainly doesn't run 12s up here in Colorado heck, even a Stage II STi won't run 12s here. In fact, if they're running 13s here that would mean they're in the 12s at sea level at that Stage II so there is no way they're running 12s stock. Either that, or I'm losing my mind. Probably the latter.

    I would like to see some data on this "neck and neck" nonsense between the current gen STi vs an E92 M3. Not that I doubt you...

    Fair enough. I think we can all agree that the absolute best time a BMW M3 E92 model can pull to 60 is 4.4, and the absolute best time a 2008+ model STI can pull is 4.6.

    I've also read 4.6 to 60 for the M3, and 4.8

    ..:: M3Addict.com :: e92 BMW M3 ::..

    But we can go with 4.4. That's fine. Quarter mile times I've read anything from 12.5 to 13.3 for the M3. It really varies again, of course. The 2008 STI? 1/4 mile in 12.8-13.5, depending on what you read....

    2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Part Three - 2008 impreza - Jalopnik

    Now, I've read of a few people hitting 12.5 on STOCK 2008 STIs. Not sure the elevation.

    The point is these numbers are mostly irrelevant. The M3 is VERY difficult to get off the line, as this video shows:

    YouTube - Nissan GT-R | Porsche 911 GT3 | BMW M3 [Autocar] - Part 2

    Wheelspin through 2nd gear with the M3, if you're not careful.

    So, what do we learn from all this? Absolutely nothing. As we all know, when it comes down to it, it's all in what happens out there, not in here.
    2010 SSM STI

  5. #79
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Fair enough. I think we can all agree that the absolute best time a BMW M3 E92 model can pull to 60 is 4.4, and the absolute best time a 2008+ model STI can pull is 4.6.

    I've also read 4.6 to 60 for the M3, and 4.8

    ..:: M3Addict.com :: e92 BMW M3 ::..

    But we can go with 4.4. That's fine. Quarter mile times I've read anything from 12.5 to 13.3 for the M3. It really varies again, of course. The 2008 STI? 1/4 mile in 12.8-13.5, depending on what you read....

    2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STI, Part Three - 2008 impreza - Jalopnik

    Now, I've read of a few people hitting 12.5 on STOCK 2008 STIs. Not sure the elevation.

    The point is these numbers are mostly irrelevant. The M3 is VERY difficult to get off the line, as this video shows:

    YouTube - Nissan GT-R | Porsche 911 GT3 | BMW M3 [Autocar] - Part 2

    Wheelspin through 2nd gear with the M3, if you're not careful.

    So, what do we learn from all this? Absolutely nothing. As we all know, when it comes down to it, it's all in what happens out there, not in here.
    Great links. Thanks for coming back with some good data. At least I know you're not just making stuff up.

    I'll give you some of that. The video with the 911/GTR/M3 was cool, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that guy driving is by no means a professional driver. Who knows what that M3 will do when a really good driver (like the Stig!) is behind the wheel. Then again, most of us here aren't professional drivers either. Of course the GT-R is probably a more rounded car and better off the line, given that it has about 60hp on the M3 and it has AWD helping it sprint to 60 in 3.8 seconds. That's impressive. Have you ever seen this video?

    YouTube - BMW M3 vs Mercedes C63 AMG vs Audi RS4 in Spain - Top Gear - BBC

    I love the Top Gear guys. You should see how the M3 held up against the Mercedes AMG and the Audi RS4. Really cool video!

    I forgot to add, I'm sure we all know that once that 1/4 mile is over, the M3 will leave the STi in the dust. Or is that up for debate as well?

  6. #80
    Moderator WilliamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,215
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Great links. Thanks for coming back with some good data. At least I know you're not just making stuff up.

    I'll give you some of that. The video with the 911/GTR/M3 was cool, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that guy driving is by no means a professional driver. Who knows what that M3 will do when a really good driver (like the Stig!) is behind the wheel. Then again, most of us here aren't professional drivers either. Of course the GT-R is probably a more rounded car and better off the line, given that it has about 60hp on the M3 and it has AWD helping it sprint to 60 in 3.8 seconds. That's impressive. Have you ever seen this video?

    YouTube - BMW M3 vs Mercedes C63 AMG vs Audi RS4 in Spain - Top Gear - BBC

    I love the Top Gear guys. You should see how the M3 held up against the Mercedes AMG and the Audi RS4. Really cool video!

    I forgot to add, I'm sure we all know that once that 1/4 mile is over, the M3 will leave the STi in the dust. Or is that up for debate as well?
    You're kidding, right? I live for Top Gear, and I've absolutely seen that video, and every Top Gear video.

    Absolutely, driver will be the BIGGEST factor here. If you bog an STI off the line, you might as well give up and pretty much let that PT Cruiser disappear into the distance.

    The GTR is a whole different animal, so let's not go there.

    After the 1/4 mile, the STI will pull on the M3 by about 4,000 cars (give or take 3-400 cars). EVERYONE knows that.
    2010 SSM STI

  7. #81
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    After the 1/4 mile, the STI will pull on the M3 by about 4,000 cars (give or take 3-400 cars). EVERYONE knows that.
    Of course. Silly me for even asking.

    Off topic: where you at in WA? I was stationed at Ft Lewis for a few years and did some time in the Seattle bars and clubs lol

  8. #82
    Moderator WilliamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,215
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Of course. Silly me for even asking.

    Off topic: where you at in WA? I was stationed at Ft Lewis for a few years and did some time in the Seattle bars and clubs lol
    Damn right! There's this misconception going around that STIs lose around 20% of their power from the crank -> wheels. The truth is we actually GAIN hp/tq from the crank to the wheels, somewhere in the region of 150% power gains! So yes, our cars are rated as 305hp/290tq, which really means around 450whp, and 440wtq, stock. CRAZY, eh? That's why we can pull 4000 cars on E92s after the 1/4.
    2010 SSM STI

  9. #83
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Damn right! There's this misconception going around that STIs lose around 20% of their power from the crank -> wheels. The truth is we actually GAIN hp/tq from the crank to the wheels, somewhere in the region of 150% power gains! So yes, our cars are rated as 305hp/290tq, which really means around 450whp, and 440wtq, stock. CRAZY, eh? That's why we can pull 4000 cars on E92s after the 1/4.


    That reminds me of this kid I met recently... he tried telling me the "new" STi has 390hp. I tried telling him otherwise but he insisted "no man, I'm serious it has like 390hp I swear" so I just said "really? wow I didn't know that. I must be behind the times"

    For anyone who doesn't know, the current STi nor any upcoming STi I've heard of neither has or ever will have 390hp.

  10. #84
    Registered User Scooby3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    39 52′ 14″ N, 75 23′ 27″ W
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by JRB1987 View Post
    Just the other day while on the highway a cavalier with a can sped up from behind, pulled along side of me and revved the engine. I just looked and laughed. WTF, are you serious?
    why cant this happen to me? i could use a good laugh these days. no one has offered in the year (almost) Ive had my rex
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

  11. #85
    Registered User The_Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby3 View Post
    why cant this happen to me? i could use a good laugh these days. no one has offered in the year (almost) Ive had my rex
    really? nearly a whole year and no one? thats weird. i hadn't even driven a block after my purchase before a 350z pulled up and wanted to run. urs will come, drive through a college town or by a high school when its getting out lol ur sure to get someone then
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

  12. #86
    Registered User Doctor K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    (btw... I've driven a new M class car, and my modified WRX... and the differences are so massive that I can't even begin to note them)
    Yeah, a better comparison to the M3 would be the Lexus IS F or something along those lines.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

  13. #87
    Registered User The_Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor K View Post
    Yeah, a better comparison to the M3 would be the Lexus IS F or something along those lines.
    +1 i agree, both coming from a generally luxury manufacturer and being sport models
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

  14. #88
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,144
    I Support ClubWRX
    I was driving down my road right after coming out my driveway going the speed limit (car was warmed up from an hour before but it is routine to start up slowly). I look up in my mirror and from out of the blue there is a Honda with a windshield sticker right on my ass. So I speed up to about 10-15 over not wanting to hold him up (this is out in the country with cows and stuff). I am good about pulling over for fellow enthusiasts if driving a truck etc., but this has only been necessary for one sport bike in the WRX. Next thing I know (i.e. immediately) he is pulling out to pass on the double yellow. My philosophy is always let someone pass on a two lane, there is never an excuse for challenging them with respect to oncoming traffic. Sure enough, a car pops up in the other lane and he barely makes with me slowing down. Must say that pissed me off even though I know better.

    Anyways he goes tearing off but there are a lot of corners and the speed limit is way higher so I run him down keeping on my side while he is cutting lanes left and right. Noticing at that point that he even has aftermarket "rims" and oversize tires (but only on the front wheels) and a large chrome B22 badge stuck off line and crooked on the trunk.

    Get to the stop sign and act like I'm writing down his plate. He tears off again and I patiently check traffic then catch him again by the top of second (55mph zone). He then tries entering a corner slow and nailing it while I am still turning (to no avail). Finally he pulls over ostensibly to turn around and I just slowed down and looked him in the eye and shook my head.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  15. #89
    Registered User The_Buck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,261
    good story. i dont think i could be that persistent with such a car. i would also like to note that this is the reason i do not care for hondas. so for everyone in that argument thats why. i dont see why people would put so many other people in danger like that just to show off there car
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

  16. #90
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Buck View Post
    good story. i dont think i could be that persistent with such a car. i would also like to note that this is the reason i do not care for hondas. so for everyone in that argument thats why. i dont see why people would put so many other people in danger like that just to show off there car
    Isn't it funny that to muscle car guys, we're all the same to them? I mean, they don't care if it's a Subaru, a Honda, Nissan, or a Mitsubishi - to them it's all "rice". It doesn't matter if it's a crap Civic, a nice STi or Evo, or a DSM. Yet, I find within the "rice" crowds, we tend to all sort of frown upon the Civic guys. I can't tell you how many DSM or STi guys I know who absolutely cannot stand Honda (neither can I). I just find it funny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •