Seriously... He wants to race? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Seriously... He wants to race? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; lamborghini > ANY subaru PS. I was messing with an NSX once...those things are fast...

lamborghini > ANY subaru

PS. I was messing with an NSX once...those things are fast
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    the m3 and sti are very close in terms of overall performance
    You couldn't be further from correct.

The STi is a turbocharged AWD 2.5L 4 cylinder 4 door sedan.

The M3 is a naturally aspirated 4.0L 8 cylinder 2 door coupe (yes I know their are convertibles and 4doors, but the performance contender is the coupe)

One is designed as a street driven luxury track car. The other is a Subaru.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You couldn't be further from correct.

The STi is a turbocharged AWD 2.5L 4 cylinder 4 door sedan.

The M3 is a naturally aspirated 4.0L 8 cylinder 2 door coupe (yes I know their are convertibles and 4doors, but the performance contender is the coupe)

One is designed as a street driven luxury track car. The other is a Subaru.
    m3 is not luxury...it has stiff suspension....i guess you would call it luxury because it is a BMW

and it puts down VERY similar numbers to the STi (skidpad, 1/4 mile, 0-60)....the m3 MAY put down slightly better numbers, but still very close considering the price difference

i wasnt referring to engine size

The older model M3's are V6s, which are the ones i was talkin about
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

I Support ClubWRX
    BMW enthusiasts would call you "blasphemer!!" :roftl:
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    m3 is not luxury...it has stiff suspension....i guess you would call it luxury because it is a BMW

and it puts down VERY similar numbers to the STi (skidpad, 1/4 mile, 0-60)....the m3 MAY put down slightly better numbers, but still very close considering the price difference

i wasnt referring to engine size

With italian leather, 14 way adjustable seats, adjustable dampners, 13 speaker sound system, a navigation unit that's more powerful than the computer that I'm on right now. There is no way possible that you can tell me that the M3 is not luxury.

They are 2 different cars with 2 different end goals for 2 different classes of people with 2 different sets of wants/needs.

The STi is "Cheap Thrills" while the M3 is a "Luxury Sports Car".

One is easily modified for cheap with big turbos, while the other is pushing the limits of a 4.0 V8 engine at a 8,300rpm red line.

Both have certain "Race Car" features such as adjustable locking differentials and "track ready" brakes, but when it comes down to it, the M3 is a much more "refined" car that has a fully italian leather and brushed aluminum interior with not much more than a few ounces of visible plastic.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    (btw... I've driven a new M class car, and my modified WRX... and the differences are so massive that I can't even begin to note them)
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    BMW enthusiasts would call you "blasphemer!!" :roftl:

I didn't catch that.

wrx0131... old M3's are inline 6s.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

aright so it started bothering me so checked some sites and the Nurnburg times are as follows, although different sites do generate different times...

7:52 --- 157.119 km/h -- 2003 Lamborghini Gallardo E-Gear

(which car has the best time at nuremberg - E46Fanatics)

7:59.41 --- 154.69 km/h - 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi

(SUPERCARS.NET - Comprehensive Specifications, Galleries & Forums since 1996)

thats both stock, sti's take well to mods, i have no doubt that it could beat it in a track race, and if the lambo owner brought the car out there to race im assuming he would be there to win so he may or may not care. alright im done.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by tybalt762 View Post
    Eagle Talon with what appeared to be a Bondo/Pep Boys Eclipse body kit. Hands down, the best one.
    You never know, those DSMs can smoke the crap out of us with a few bolt ons.

Wrinklechops

M3s, S4s, etc (call me a German car enthusiast)

The price on the STi seems to have gone up since the popularity took hold after it's introduction to the United States back in 2004. The STi used to be something you could get for under $30,000 and mod to the ends of the earth and back. You couldn't find an E46 M3 for $30k back in 2004 (the last year they made them I think). Now the STi is well into the $30k range and yet, I would much rather have an M3 if given the choice.

Stock for stock, I would say the E46 M3 and an STi would probably be equals. If you consider the AWD drivetrain loss vs the RWD M3, the horsepower numbers would be about equal on a dyno. Put equal money into each car and I bet they would still be pretty even. Put forced induction on the M3 though, and it's bye bye STi.

BMW made the 335i to tide people over until the new E92 M3 came out. Obviously, there is no comparison between the E92 M3 and an STi of any year. Of course, you pay for what you get but to me the new M3 is much more a car than the STi, hands down.

Speaking of the 335i, who's got some love for that thing? Twin turbo, 3.0 inline 6 cylinder. Stock power output of about 300hp, very conservative. You can up the power levels very quickly on that thing, suddenly putting down close to 400hp.

Reminds me of my friend's Audi S4. I haven't heard anyone mention it. If you EVER see one of those cars that looks legitimately modified, don't race it. It's like if you see a DINAN badge on a BMW, you just stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    The price on the STi seems to have gone up since the popularity took hold after it's introduction to the United States back in 2004. The STi used to be something you could get for under $30,000 and mod to the ends of the earth and back. You couldn't find an E46 M3 for $30k back in 2004 (the last year they made them I think). Now the STi is well into the $30k range and yet, I would much rather have an M3 if given the choice.

Stock for stock, I would say the E46 M3 and an STi would probably be equals. If you consider the AWD drivetrain loss vs the RWD M3, the horsepower numbers would be about equal on a dyno. Put equal money into each car and I bet they would still be pretty even. Put forced induction on the M3 though, and it's bye bye STi.

BMW made the 335i to tide people over until the new E92 M3 came out. Obviously, there is no comparison between the E92 M3 and an STi of any year. Of course, you pay for what you get but to me the new M3 is much more a car than the STi, hands down.

Speaking of the 335i, who's got some love for that thing? Twin turbo, 3.0 inline 6 cylinder. Stock power output of about 300hp, very conservative. You can up the power levels very quickly on that thing, suddenly putting down close to 400hp.

Reminds me of my friend's Audi S4. I haven't heard anyone mention it. If you EVER see one of those cars that looks legitimately modified, don't race it. It's like if you see a DINAN badge on a BMW, you just stay away.

You say equal money in to each right well the sti has a turbo already .so if you put forced induction on the m3 it is alot of money .... so say you do that to the m3 cost 5 grand say now you can go bigger with the turbo on the sti and now is it still bye bye sti I dont think so..
    Blobeye Syndicate #004

oops didnt catch that mistake (I-6). sometimes i catch myself calling the 997 a v6 as well. i meant 6 cylinder..

anyways, the point i was making was that the m3 and sti put down similar performance at the track

I know they are two completely different cars in different classes, but someone had said about an STi vs an M3 at the track. The "luxurious" features of the m3 dont matter in that situation.

The bottom line is that they are both 13 second cars, stock for stock

Ive been inside an M3, and i would consider it more as a track car than a luxury car. You want a luxurious BMW, then you are talking about a 5, 6, or 7 series.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

I Support ClubWRX
    oops didnt catch that mistake (I-6). sometimes i catch myself calling the 997 a v6 as well. i meant 6 cylinder..

anyways, the point i was making was that the m3 and sti put down similar performance at the track

I know they are two completely different cars in different classes, but someone had said about an STi vs an M3 at the track. The "luxurious" features of the m3 dont matter in that situation.

Ive been inside an M3, and i would consider it more as a track car than a luxury car. You want a luxurious BMW, then you are talking about a 5, 6, or 7 series.
    Except an STI doesn't run 13s, stock. It runs high 12s if you know what you're doing.

And on paper, exclusively talking 1/4 mile, the current-gen STI is neck and neck with an E92 M3. Of course the M3 has a lot more at the higher end...
    Last edited by WilliamG; 09-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.
    2010 SSM STI

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by jcfuzzdog29 View Post
    You say equal money in to each right well the sti has a turbo already .so if you put forced induction on the m3 it is alot of money .... so say you do that to the m3 cost 5 grand say now you can go bigger with the turbo on the sti and now is it still bye bye sti I dont think so..
    Here's a 400whp STi getting stomped by a supercharged M3:

YouTube - E46 M3 versus MY04WRX STi

Oh no say it ain't so

YouTube - BMW E46 ///M3 vs Subaru STi Spec C

YouTube - BMW M3 CSL vs Subaru WRX STI - on the track

Now I'm sure you could go find just as many videos of STis smoking M3s. I'm just sayin, don't knock one of those modified E46 M3s

Wrinklechops

Agreed, but the BMW is definitely more luxurious than the STi. Heck, so is the Legacy GT for that matter. STi for adults I think BMW likes to call their M cars "something you can drive daily, across country, then take it on the track all the same"