Seriously... He wants to race? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Seriously... He wants to race? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; It seems to me that for the most part the same stories (mine included) of some idiot with a fart ...

It seems to me that for the most part the same stories (mine included) of some idiot with a fart can and "AEM" stickers can beat a subie. Personally sitting at a light and a 2000 ish cavalier revving his AUTOmatic wanting to race. Light turned green and he let off the gas before i hit 3rd

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Personally I don't think it comes down to them thinking they can beat you. I think its more they want to see how fast your car is. Most people can get that out of someone who has a modded car at a stoplight by revving the engine and hoping they launch hard.

somewhere in the nowhere of somethings mind eye of a nothing
    few days ago i had an early 80s datsun try to race me, i laughed asked if he was serious, then at the light i launched around a corner and he killed his car in first... made for a good laugh
    "if you want peace, prepare for war", latin proverb and common sense
    "Why do penguins take smoke breaks?"

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    Personally I don't think it comes down to them thinking they can beat you. I think its more they want to see how fast your car is. Most people can get that out of someone who has a modded car at a stoplight by revving the engine and hoping they launch hard.
    Yes.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

Quote Originally Posted by 03subiedude View Post
    few days ago i had an early 80s datsun try to race me, i laughed asked if he was serious, then at the light i launched around a corner and he killed his car in first... made for a good laugh
    Datsun can be underrated by appearance. Although guess that goes with any car really depending on what could have been done under the hood. A buddy of mine in high school had a 510 with a swapped engine, was either a maxima or 300z, can't remember was awhile ago. But for as tiny and boxy as it was, it hauled.

Took a different way home from work and made the mistake of passing by a high school in my new rex with a temp tag (a rice magnet I'm discovering). I had 2 different 240s try and race me and then had a civic do a ricer fly by. We were at three lanes merging to two, I'm driving normally, he swings around from behind me and cuts me off last minute and then....sure enough....puts on his flashers like he just made a "kill". I clapped my hands at him while laughing out loud at the next light.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    Crazy but true, I had a construction worker in a backhoe (my dads friend) want to race me in my truck a few years back. I was like sure what the hell.
    He took a bucket lead off the line while I suffered turbo lag, then I smoked by him before that sucker started bouncing. You know how backhoes are when they hit a bump or dip at speed, some crazy 2 wheeling mechanical bull action.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    Datsun can be underrated by appearance. Although guess that goes with any car really depending on what could have been done under the hood. A buddy of mine in high school had a 510 with a swapped engine, was either a maxima or 300z, can't remember was awhile ago. But for as tiny and boxy as it was, it hauled.
    SR20DET would be a good one that is commonly done at around ~200-250hp stock in a 2200lb. rwd car - and you lose. I think they are cool & would consider owning one.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    SR20DET would be a good one that is commonly done at around ~200-250hp stock in a 2200lb. rwd car - and you lose. I think they are cool & would consider owning one.
    Trust me I know, Had a redtop sr20 put in my 90 240. Was a fun little fast car. Still wish I had that car sometimes

I Support ClubWRX
    Oddly enough. I put a "Subaru Technica International" vinyl (white) over my 3rd brake light, and now I don't get anyone trying to race me. Before that, it was very common.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

FJF
    I get everybody and their grandmother trying to run me. Olds Alero? Sure, you can take a tuned Evo IX. A guy in a beige Prius? No problem, of course you'll pull on me. A beatup Corolla with a rattling trunk? Sure thing. I need to launch hard to take that one.

99% of the time I don't bother. I have to confess, though, to pulling up to the dork in the Prius in first gear and having a lookee-see at the guy before opening the taps.
    Evo IX SE

Quote Originally Posted by gunnywrx View Post
    I was driving along and a Saturn Ion flys by then brakes, then drives along side and revs his car up. All i could think of was " is this guy for real?" Short story even shorter nothing happened and he drove off into the dark.
    But, it got me thinking...
    What is the biggest joke of a car that has seriously tried to race you?
    Bring on the stories!

You do realize that Saturn made a FI verison of the ion call the ion redline, right? I mean it's not nearly as fast stock for stock vs. the WRX but with a few mods those cars can be pretty fast.

As for your question, the best joke of car that tried to race me was about 8 years ago. I was in my modded 280z when a early 70's honda civic beat to high hell tried racing me. He was spinning those front tires everytime we left a light. Sad thing was that he was barely keeping up and I was driving normal. I no longer have my 06 WRX but when I did I never was bothered. Now I have my 370z and still don't get bothered. Perhaps it's the area I'm in though. Back in Ca my 280z and 300zx used to get challenged all the time. Here in Vegas no matter if I'm in the 280z, 300zx, 370z, Vette, or Trans Am no ones tries to race me. I guess thats a good thing though consdering there are so many more cops here than compared to Ca.

you have a lot of carssssss. To bad you got rid of the best one man.. No nice list

Quote Originally Posted by Z/WRX View Post
    You do realize that Saturn made a FI verison of the ion call the ion redline, right? I mean it's not nearly as fast stock for stock vs. the WRX but with a few mods those cars can be pretty fast.

As for your question, the best joke of car that tried to race me was about 8 years ago. I was in my modded 280z when a early 70's honda civic beat to high hell tried racing me. He was spinning those front tires everytime we left a light. Sad thing was that he was barely keeping up and I was driving normal. I no longer have my 06 WRX but when I did I never was bothered. Now I have my 370z and still don't get bothered. Perhaps it's the area I'm in though. Back in Ca my 280z and 300zx used to get challenged all the time. Here in Vegas no matter if I'm in the 280z, 300zx, 370z, Vette, or Trans Am no ones tries to race me. I guess thats a good thing though consdering there are so many more cops here than compared to Ca.
    Blobeye Syndicate #004

Dont know if it was the red line version (lg sporty wing on it), didn't know there was a redline other than the Sky.

I know my car is not FAST but i can argue that it is quick and when i see a Saturn Ion coming down the road the last thing i think of is a quick car.

Some good stories by all keep em rollin' in.
    Who wants to have some FUN!
    ---Stink-Eye Mob #26---

I Support ClubWRX

I don't get any trouble here like people are describing, that is for sure. It is just the occasional bloke in a PU that wants to race in the rare passing zone after being all slow everywhere else while I'm out in the oncoming lane. Fun stuff.

In the (sold) 280 I only recall one Camaro that was trying to impress me. Anyways, he was fairly well sideways next to me at a two lane left turn on the outside after a red light but thankfully the idiot gathered it up.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

i live near a community college, so if it has wheels, ive raced it. i know. imm flashy when it comes to my car, but every year, it never fails, all the freshman come in with there pimped out rides, and then all get a nice view of my "enjoy your rice" vynal on the back. i once had a vette think he could take me. he let off at 120, about a legnth behind me. the only car within 30 min of me that can beat me is my dentist. and he has some supercharged jaguire. i let off at 147.... he tops out at 190. i still let him know every sundayy in church that mine looks better. lol.