What's better than a WRX? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on What's better than a WRX? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by SD_GR They don't, and there are no blows here, this is a friendly discussion and will remain ...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    They don't, and there are no blows here, this is a friendly discussion and will remain so. However, your statements, if not countered, implicated my statement -- that the Nissan is only capable of being a fast car -- with other beliefs that I neither expressed nor hold.

Thanks.

I don't.

If the wording is carefully parsed, that is and will always be true. However, it is in fact quite easy to say the Nissan isn't interesting -- the leading reason for this is that, well, the Nissan isn't really interesting. It's very fast. It could be faster still, it'd still not be interesting.

I've repeatedly said it's fast.

For Nissan of America I suppose it's marketing progress. For Nissan, the firm, the GT-R is at best a giant step... sideways, compared to what they were examining 25 years ago. I use "sideways" leniently, as the chassis incorporates inferior solutions to what they were doing 25 years ago.

Meanwhile, what technology is available now that wasn't available then has been dressed in a body that manages to be loud and bland at the same time -- something I'd not previously thought possible. The car doesn't look quite as bad in real life, especially in a dark gray, but I don't know if it's because the eye initially dismisses it as yet another Z with a questionable body kit or because it doesn't register immediately as the great Nissan (in other words, whether it's the "loud" or the "bland" part of the styling that actually helps save first impressions a bit).
    Well the GT-R is my favorite sub-$100,000 car, so I am clearly quite biased. And I personally find the styling to be quite attractive. Since you are trying to dismiss it as yet another ugly nissan what would your pick be? Just curious.
    2004 WRX Project Car
    FS: 2004 Acura TL

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    Well the GT-R is my favorite sub-$100,000 car, so I am clearly quite biased. And I personally find the styling to be quite attractive. Since you are trying to dismiss it as yet another ugly nissan what would your pick be? Just curious.
    For a >$100,000 car? US money? Are we talking sporty or GT cars, or cars in general?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

For a >$100,000 car? US money? Are we talking sporty or GT cars, or cars in general?
    Sure we'll say less than $100,000 US.. and it makes no difference to me it is a dream car thread.
    2004 WRX Project Car

I Support ClubWRX
    Sure we'll say less than $100,000 US.. and it makes no difference to me it is a dream car thread.
    If we're dreaming and I wanted a Nissan sporting car, I'd pick the GT-R's stablemate, the Z. It comes as a drop head that looks good in gray (it still has the horrific door handles but OK - the Infiniti variant fixes that but it's more coin and IMO the less coin one parts with, the better).

In fact, for a Japanese sports car I'd look at three 2-seaters: that Z, the Miata, and the S2000. The Z I already mentioned; the Miata still has purist appeal and a smart, small motor; the S2000 has more of all that. From Germany I'd look at the Boxster and the Cayman (I don't know if the new TT is more of a "TT" as in "Tourist Trophy" than the old TT -- I'm old enough to remember the NSU TT, for example, and that car was much slower but also much more "raw"). I'd also look at the Elise (having a Toyota ZZ in there and not something from, say, Renault or Ford IMO helps). BTW I don't know if the USD:UKP and USD:Euro exchange rate has kept me under $100K USD but hope so.

You'll of course have noted that the GT-R is undeniably faster than anything on my list.

Now, if I were dreaming and wanted a classic car, I've already posted in this thread one that gets so many things right and was so ahead of its time, the DS.

For a modern 4-door car, I'd do the right thing and pick a modern 5-door car instead (!) so it'd be ideally an AWD from various Germans or Japanese.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

If we're dreaming and I wanted a Nissan sporting car, I'd pick the GT-R's stablemate, the Z. It comes as a drop head that looks good in gray (it still has the horrific door handles but OK - the Infiniti variant fixes that but it's more coin and IMO the less coin one parts with, the better).

In fact, for a Japanese sports car I'd look at three 2-seaters: that Z, the Miata, and the S2000. The Z I already mentioned; the Miata still has purist appeal and a smart, small motor; the S2000 has more of all that. From Germany I'd look at the Boxster and the Cayman (I don't know if the new TT is more of a "TT" as in "Tourist Trophy" than the old TT -- I'm old enough to remember the NSU TT, for example, and that car was much slower but also much more "raw"). I'd also look at the Elise (having a Toyota ZZ in there and not something from, say, Renault or Ford IMO helps). BTW I don't know if the USD:UKP and USD:Euro exchange rate has kept me under $100K USD but hope so.

You'll of course have noted that the GT-R is undeniably faster than anything on my list.

Now, if I were dreaming and wanted a classic car, I've already posted in this thread one that gets so many things right and was so ahead of its time, the DS.

For a modern 4-door car, I'd do the right thing and pick a modern 5-door car instead (!) so it'd be ideally an AWD from various Germans or Japanese.
    So the M6 gets no love? That is my dream car. I suppose it is out of the question though as it is retails at right around $102k, although that is only the suggested retail value, invoice is as low as $94k.. If you dont like the GT-Rs styling, however, im guessing you think the M6 is hideous
    2004 WRX Project Car

I Support ClubWRX
    So the M6 gets no love? That is my dream car. I suppose it is out of the question though as it is retails at right around $102k, although that is only the suggested retail value, invoice is as low as $94k.. If you dont like the GT-Rs styling, however, im guessing you think the M6 is hideous
    I thought it was well above $100K. I think the old 6 is better looking than the new 6, and that the new 6 will not age as well. That series of cars was like that though. The older CS looks better still and it's now ancient.

I give the GTR credit in one area. If you absolutely had to have just one car to fill the needs of fun,commute and utility (especially in areas with poor weather) the GTR is probably a decent choice as it has good performance, 4 seats, awd and it's large enough to be usable. I think Nissan is good at making well rounded cars.

If I had to pick something else around the GTR priced range though just for fun I'd look for a Z06 or maybe even a loaded Cayman S and have some left over.

If this were to be strictly fun car (i.e. no daily driver)if I could afford the price of the car and the maintenance a nice Ferrari 308 or decent 328 could easily be found. This of course would be a rather different and more ambitious choice though.

All of the above would be slower for sure but that's ok I'm not in a race and I'd find it more interesting and enjoyable.

EDIT: I like the M6 as well, most people seem to dislike it's looks but I like it. Its more on the big luxo cruiser side of things, its got lots of power but it's not a sporty car to me.
    Last edited by cavallino333; 08-04-2009 at 04:07 PM.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

I thought it was well above $100K. I think the old 6 is better looking than the new 6, and that the new 6 will not age as well. That series of cars was like that though. The older CS looks better still and it's now ancient.
    maybe 100k+ for the '10 model but according to this 2009 BMW M6 Coupe - Yahoo! Autos
    avg. market price is $95k
    2004 WRX Project Car

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I like the looks of the new 6 but the old M6 is near the top of my cars to have list. Just the 633 was a great driving experience.

For a new car I'd seriously consider a beck 550S at around $30K IIRC. Tube frame with a DeDion rear end, 1500lbs, and Porsche 550 looks.

Last edited by mycologist; 08-04-2009 at 04:20 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

For 100K, I couldn't justify spending it on a factory car. On the other hand, spending 50K on a car, and another 50K on building it up I could. Just my opinion, but I love the GTR, preferably the older model over the new. I would much rather get an r34 gtr and throw 50k into then spend 100k on the new one. But with this price range, imo for looks and sport the z06 has gotta be one of the best bang for buck cars out there.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    For 100K, I couldn't justify spending it on a factory car. On the other hand, spending 50K on a car, and another 50K on building it up I could.
    I'm the opposite. Any modification to a valuable or good car reduces its value; the better a car, the closer to "blasphemy" a modification can get. As for modifying an everyday car, it's fun but not worth the money IMO. A few things I'd do, or better yet I'd help a friend do on their car (not mine, it gets authentic parts only) in exchange for pizza and beer (I'm all class) but I'd not spend $50K more for a car that used to be worth $50K before I bought it.

But with this price range, imo for looks and sport the z06 has gotta be one of the best bang for buck cars out there.
    In its local market, yes I agree. The newer models no longer make me wonder "was that sold with a free banjo?" but then again it could be because I've gotten used to them. They are, like the Nissan, very fast cars, and they're better priced than the Nissan at least in the US. The entry model in particular seems to have hit a sweet spot. I sat in one and it "felt" better (the pedals were not the size of oars as in previous models and they were situated better, the interior seemed designed by people that discussed it a bit beforehand etc. and the materials were much better than previously IMO, much improved). Still not for me though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Good luck convincing folks that have been driving enthusiast cars for decades that they must like your favorite car because of magazine awards and such.

I admit that I haven't read everything you've typed here. Out of curiosity, have you actually driven a GT-R?
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I thought the GT-R's were going for incredible dealer markups, plus they are super scarce.

Me? I'd take a 911 GT2...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I'm the opposite. Any modification to a valuable or good car reduces its value; the better a car, the closer to "blasphemy" a modification can get. As for modifying an everyday car, it's fun but not worth the money IMO. A few things I'd do, or better yet I'd help a friend do on their car (not mine, it gets authentic parts only) in exchange for pizza and beer (I'm all class) but I'd not spend $50K more for a car that used to be worth $50K before I bought it.
    True. But I wouldn't be modifying a car in hopes to increase or retain its value. And in terms of worth the money, a 100k car isn't worth the money at all imo, but were talking dreams here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.