What's better than a WRX? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 113

This is a discussion on What's better than a WRX? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by 302@12psi Well if the looks dont ruffle your feathers how about the factory installed launch control that ...

  1. #31
    The Default One SeattleJeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,488
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Well if the looks dont ruffle your feathers how about the factory installed launch control that when you use it and it breaks something they refuse to fix that item.
    Nissan removed launch control from the 2010 model year to ovoid that problem in the future.

    Review: 2010 Nissan GT-R - Does Godzilla Have A Soul? — Autoblog
    First and foremost, we should cover what's new for 2010. The big news is bye-bye launch control. We found the GT-R's penchant for grenading transmissions humorous (from a distance), but alas, farewell. However... maybe it's still there? Maybe Nissan was only telling people launch control had been deleted? We found a very deserted stretch of road, put the transmission and suspension into R mode, turned the VDC all the way off, planted our left foot on the brake pedal and pushed the throttle with our right. Instead of the tach zinging up to 4,500 rpm, fuel cutoff happens right around 2,000 rpm. Launch control is deader than last Thanksgiving's turkey.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #32
    Registered User ROOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Snowy Gravel Roads
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    It will undoubtely hold it's value and have more fans in 10 years then it did when it was released.
    Stating the obvious, hence the GT-R.
    I'm just being realistic, the GT-R is to me in my eyes one of the best bang for the buck SUPERCARS in the world today. If you are a playboy and want to go for looks thats cool with me, spend an extra 20-30 grand on a 911 turbo, but ill be right on your @$$ in my GTR.
    2004 WRX Project Car
    FS: 2004 Acura TL

  4. #33
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,044
    I Support ClubWRX
    A person's evaluation of a car is a subjective thing, my friend. It's a very cool car for sure...just not what I'd choose to spend my $$$$$ on in that price range.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  5. #34
    Registered User cavallino333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Campbell CA
    Posts
    11,850
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    I'm just saying, it seems like you are contradicting yourself when you drive a WRX.. a car that you most likely chose for its blistering speed and excellent handling.. not its stunning good looks.. and then go on to criticize the GTR.. by far one of the best performing sports cars in the $100,000 and under price range just because of its looks. Sorry just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me man!
    Well actually I don't have a WRX anymore I have a 350z which some say is more style than substance, I don't agree but I do admit I bought it in large part for its looks. I did have a wrx though and while I thought my 05 looked nice it wouldn't win a beauty contest. As I said before though in the sub 35K price range I can accept some compromises in looks if it performs well or even visa versa. If I were paying GTR money for something I'd be less willing to compromise, it's got to look the way I want and perform the way I want and the GTR only gets one of those IMO.

    That said I doubt I'll be able to decide wether or not to spend that kind of money on a car anytime soon so it doesn't really matter what I think.
    FORZA FERRARI
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE (retired) #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    One day I hope to buy a car that is lubricated exclusively by pure manatee oil.

  6. #35
    Registered User ROOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Snowy Gravel Roads
    Posts
    18
    I understand that some people will dislike the car because of its looks. Like i said before there is no such thing as a perfect car. But you simply cannot dislike the GT-R because of its performance and some of the numbers it is capable of producing on an all wheel drive platform unless you have gone mental. especially for a price of $80,000 which is low compared to rival cars with rival numbers.

    I guess to me performance is FAR more important than what the car may look like. I do drive a WRX.
    2004 WRX Project Car
    FS: 2004 Acura TL

  7. #36
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,966
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    Like i said before there is no such thing as a perfect car. But you simply cannot dislike the GT-R because of its performance and some of the numbers it is capable of producing on an all wheel drive platform unless you have gone mental.
    Some cars can never be good cars or interesting cars. All they can be is fast. If fast is enough for some buyers, so be it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  8. #37
    Registered User ROOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Snowy Gravel Roads
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Some cars can never be good cars or interesting cars.
    Sorry, but if that was in regards to the GT-R that made absolutely no sense.
    2004 WRX Project Car
    FS: 2004 Acura TL

  9. #38
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,966
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    Sorry, but if that was in regards to the GT-R that made absolutely no sense.
    It was directed at the Nissan, yes. The Nissan is not alone in only ever being capable of being a fast car, not an interesting or good car... but it's one of the cars in that category.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  10. #39
    Administrator RayfieldsWRX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    The Old Folks Home
    Posts
    47,044
    I Support ClubWRX
    The GT-R mightn't be my choice either. Can't get a true manual, and too many computers at work.
    The main test for me will be "is it fun to drive?" Impressive numbers do not tell that story.

    What Spiros said made sense to me.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

  11. #40
    Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Late Devonian
    Posts
    13,319
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    I agree.. There is a 2007 Corvette Z06 in my driveway and also a Lexus GX470. Both were bought for around the same $$$. I'll prove your point for you. I'm just saying, it seems like you are contradicting yourself when you drive a WRX.. a car that you most likely chose for its blistering speed and excellent handling.. not its stunning good looks.. and then go on to criticize the GTR.. by far one of the best performing sports cars in the $100,000 and under price range just because of its looks. Sorry just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me man!
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    Sorry, but if that was in regards to the GT-R that made absolutely no sense.
    Nah, I'm totally with SD et al. on this. A car in that range should be svelt and just plain sexy. The appearance should hit you in the gut.

    I don't know how that got to be the focus though - the car doesn't appeal to me for the exact reason Ray said. It sounds like it would buffer you too much from the driving experience. Comparing a GTR to a wrx (at least a bugeye) I'd say it is the antithesis. The bugeye is raw and unrefined IMO. It isn't really about going fast on autopilot to me, it is about feeling like I am going fast.

    Ask yourself why many people are willing to pay more for this as that GTR costs. Obviously, it just isn't near as fast:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_2006_SAG_-_Lancia_Aurelia_Gran_Turismo_1955-02.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	84706
    Last edited by mycologist; 08-04-2009 at 02:56 PM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

  12. #41
    Registered User ROOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Snowy Gravel Roads
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The GT-R wouldn't be my choice either. Can't get a true manual, and too many computers at work.

    What Spiros said made sense to me.
    Ok well due to the fact that GT-Rs are not "Good" or "Interesting" I suppose the award for 2009 car of the year was totally bogus and completely made up just like 9/11 and the moon landings.
    2004 WRX Project Car
    FS: 2004 Acura TL

  13. #42
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,966
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    Ok well due to the fact that GT-Rs are not "Good" or "Interesting" I suppose the award for 2009 car of the year was totally bogus and completely made up just like 9/11 and the moon landings.
    Non sequitur.

    Although anyone can of course believe any of those statements, none of them follow from any statement I've made.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

  14. #43
    Registered User ROOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Snowy Gravel Roads
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Non sequitur.

    Although anyone can of course believe any of those statements, none of them follow from any statement I've made.
    I wasn't aware my counter attacks had to match your statements blow by blow. I think I will stick with motor trend, a trusted source of information on this one, and they seem to think that the GT-R is so "good" and "interesting" that it deserved to be crowned car of the year in 2009. Thats what the professional drivers and writers think who work for a magazine that has been around for 60 years. Longer than probably both you and I. Think what you want. But thats what the professionals think, that is what I think, that may not be what you think, but dont try to say the GT-R is not interesting as it is one of the most noteworthy cars to be produced in quite some time, an excellent performer, and a huge and respectable leap for nissan of america
    2004 WRX Project Car
    FS: 2004 Acura TL

  15. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1
    t-rex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dgyimages_154053_Picture 002.jpg  

  16. #45
    He simply abides. SD_GR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    CA, US
    Posts
    22,966
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ROOR View Post
    I wasn't aware my counter attacks had to match your statements blow by blow.
    They don't, and there are no blows here, this is a friendly discussion and will remain so. However, your statements, if not countered, implicated my statement -- that the Nissan is only capable of being a fast car -- with other beliefs that I neither expressed nor hold.

    Think what you want.
    Thanks.

    But thats what the professionals think, that is what I think,
    I don't.

    but dont try to say the GT-R is not interesting as it is one of the most noteworthy cars to be produced in quite some time,
    If the wording is carefully parsed, that is and will always be true. However, it is in fact quite easy to say the Nissan isn't interesting -- the leading reason for this is that, well, the Nissan isn't really interesting. It's very fast. It could be faster still, it'd still not be interesting.

    an excellent performer,
    I've repeatedly said it's fast.

    and a huge and respectable leap for nissan of america
    For Nissan of America I suppose it's marketing progress. For Nissan, the firm, the GT-R is at best a giant step... sideways, compared to what they were examining 25 years ago. I use "sideways" leniently, as the chassis incorporates inferior solutions to what they were doing 25 years ago.

    Meanwhile, what technology is available now that wasn't available then has been dressed in a body that manages to be loud and bland at the same time -- something I'd not previously thought possible. The car doesn't look quite as bad in real life, especially in a dark gray, but I don't know if it's because the eye initially dismisses it as yet another Z with a questionable body kit or because it doesn't register immediately as the great Nissan (in other words, whether it's the "loud" or the "bland" part of the styling that actually helps save first impressions a bit).
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-04-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •