Mazdaspeed3 to wrx or legacy gt spec b???

This is a discussion on Mazdaspeed3 to wrx or legacy gt spec b??? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone at club wrx, I have a few questions that could only be answered by the daily drivers of ...

Mazdaspeed3 to wrx or legacy gt spec b???

Hello everyone at club wrx,

I have a few questions that could only be answered by the daily drivers of these vehicles. I currently own a 07 mazdaspeed 3 gt with 32k miles and climbing. I am extremely worried about how many other owners are blowing up with no warning what so ever, both heavily modded and stock motors blowing up. I am worried to the point of parting my car out and checking out wither a 07 sti limited or a 06 spec b gt. I could use any insight whatsoever regarding both vehicles as far as reliability, and passenger comfort. I am going to be test driving each soon but I wanted to hear from the people that drive them on a daily basis. I am looking to start our family soon so are these vehicles easy to swap car seats and baby stuff in and out of? thanks for all the help.

Jordan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The 07 STI's did have some issues with their ECU's leading to some engine failures. This is cured by getting a good tune on the vehicle.

The Spec B is a wonderful option for the "family" vehicle. I'm not sure but I think the 06 is when they went to the 6 speed. If they didnt do that till 07 go find yourself a 07 with a 6 speed.

A ton of aftermarket in both cases and really easy to make fun, reliable, streetable horsepower.

Having owned a regular 07 STI I'd gladly take either and would lean towards the Spec. B for the family planning part.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    just food for thought- the limited sti is VERY hard to come by and if you do happen to find one, they are still going for around $29-30k (atleast the ones here are)

my vote goes to the spec b. i think it has the best of both worlds

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Drive an STi first -- their suspension is, um, "purposeful". It's clearly designed to handle but you know it all the time. Child seats may be a tight fit.

The Legacy SpecB got the 6spd in 2007. For 06 it's just off-red seats, nav, and of course the unique Bilstein suspension setup. It's not like the STi but it gets the job done well.

I love my "regular" GT that I bought in Sept 2004. I'm free to mod the suspension to exactly the spot I want it. I'll start that journey soon now that I'm almost finished with the power production part of the equation.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

I Support ClubWRX
    Child seats fit just fine; I've been hauling kids around in my WRX sedan and then wagon since 2002.

The rear-facing infant seats MAY be a problem if someone with long legs wants to sit in front of them. I never put that one to the test.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Well thanks for all the quick responses! I kind of failed to mention some more vital info that could factor into my decision making process:

07 Subaru Sti Limited price for sale is $25,000 with 49,xxx miles...
    It looks like it has a COBB SFI already installed.
    Alreay a lot of miles for an expensive car is it really worth it?? reliability wise?
    06 LegacyGT Spec B price for sale is $14,500 with 18,000 miles...
    Dealer installed Sti springs, Sti short shifter, Sti trunk spoiler and tinted windows, along with the rest of the spec b bits.
    This is a private sale that is almost 120 miles away from my home but it seems like a great deal.
    Last edited by jwiist; 07-30-2009 at 11:09 PM.

for those prices, i cant even believe your considering the STI...with that difference you can drop in a 20g and still have 8k left over...plus you want your car more family oriented...spec B would be ideal for you...and as if it isnt an awesome car anyways

Thanks for your advice, I am trying to set up a meeting with the owner of the spec b on Monday, I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for all the help.

Jordan

wow thats real cheap for a spec b. jump on it
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

SpecB FTW. i have an 08 with the 6spd and its amazing. so much more comfortable and roomier than my 07 wrx limited. i dunno why i didnt get a specb to begin with. the wrx felt like more track car with leatehr seats, while the specb has a nice luxury factor and good power. im not sure when the legacy swithced to the 2.5 but the added torque is noticable and great
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

Quote Originally Posted by jwiist View Post
    06 LegacyGT Spec B price for sale is $14,500 with 18,000 miles...
    Dealer installed Sti springs, Sti short shifter, Sti trunk spoiler and tinted windows, along with the rest of the spec b bits.
    This is a private sale that is almost 120 miles away from my home but it seems like a great deal.
    I'd buy this one.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."