Stock '09 vs. '01(?) WS6 T/A - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Stock '09 vs. '01(?) WS6 T/A within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by Sinister You have had your experiences, I've had mine. In addition I spend a decent amount of ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You have had your experiences, I've had mine. In addition I spend a decent amount of time at Bandimere Speedway drag racing, and I've seen all sorts of setups, raced all sorts of vehicles, and have been beaten by many, and beaten many... I have no bias towards any car, and I am not going off of magazine times, or dyno results. Just personal experience.

When I'm referring to street racing, I'm referring to the jack assery that I saw every time I was in LA or San Diego. Driving down some main thoroughfare and some idiot revving their engine at me. Midnight, miles into a desert with no one around except the few cars that are going out to enjoy ourselves, or downtown LA at 5pm revving engines and dodging traffic, trying to race me. Maybe both are "considered" "street racing"... but I think most would agree that the general consensus finds "street racing" as the ass hats driving in populated areas and putting not only themselves, but MANY other people at risk
    Street racing is street racing no matter where it is. haha. I don't like it but I'm not gonna lecture people who do since I'm the first to wanna race someone who I think might be a good race. If the situation is clear and no one is around then great. There is smart racing and dumb racing.

Obviously we've both had different experiences. I just find it odd that the are totally opposite. If they are capable of that here why would anywhere else matter? I know there are different elevations but damn. I think e-town is 40 ft above sea level. I'd imagine a desert would be a low elevation too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Where I drag race now is 5800 feet.

Where we were in the desert was ~ 1800 feet.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Where I drag race now is 5800 feet.

Where we were in the desert was ~ 1800 feet.
    Ah, well that makes a difference. There is usually more of a loss from altitude to na cars then turbo cars.

When I was at school the local track was at 5800 ft. Stock my rs went 15.4. With full bolt ons the best I could wrestle up was a 15.4. I didn't realize it was that high there and my first run was a 16.4 and I was freaking out. I just kept launching higher and higher ever time.

I Support ClubWRX
    5800ft is the highest track in the country... Where you in colorado?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

5800ft is the highest track in the country... Where you in colorado?
    Haha, I lied. It's 1800 ft. When I typed it I was thinking of your track being 5800 ft so that's what I typed and didn't catch it. Ran at Pittsburgh raceway.

Actually when I look up the town seems to be closer to 2k then 1800.

I Support ClubWRX
    At 1800ft in the Mojave desert there was obviously very low air pressures because of the heat... so that could play a role as well.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    Stock. No drag radials. If you can drive it's very possible. There are way more then that with SS's running high 12's stock. I don't know why you would think they can't with 320 whp stock. Stock Camaro's were about 300 whp to the wheels stock.
    I have only raced one T/A and I beat him from a roll at stage 1, but I find that a decent source for info is dragtimes.com. It seems that the majority of stock camaros and T/As are running around mid 13's

Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    I have only raced one T/A and I beat him from a roll at stage 1, but I find that a decent source for info is dragtimes.com. It seems that the majority of stock camaros and T/As are running around mid 13's
    dragtimes. Yeah I also saw a stock wrx time at 14.8 and a stock civic si at 14.0. Real reliable source. So I'm trying to get the physics down here. a rwd car with 300 whp that's rwd and just flat out nuts up top vs a car (I'll guess a 2.5l wrx) is putting down maybe 230 whp with a turbo that dies up top and is awd. Both cars are hovering around the 3300 lb mark. I'm really having a hard time seeing how this is possible without someone doing something severely wrong or the engine is about to blow up.

Of course their are going to be a few crazy times but you can tell from the majority. Sounds like you just didnt like what you saw. The 09 wrx has a bit more than the power you are listing, and puts up almost identical qm times. if trapping around 102-104= "nuts up top" you need to get out more

I Support ClubWRX
    ^This^
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Sorry, i seem to be a little late to the party on this but i am actually fortunate enough to own a 2001 SS and a 2006 WRX TR.

when my SS was bone stock, it dyno'd 310 at the wheels and my personal best run was a 13.1 (while it was stock). I absolutely believe that a very good driver in the perfect conditions could run a 12.9. I can attest to the EVO slowness on the freeway as i have pulled away very easily many times in the SS.

You guys are also right about the fact that it would be very hard to find a stock T/A or SS at the street races that was unmodified. It is also very cheap to make those things 11 second monsters (think nitrous cause a lot of those guys do).

While i havnt taken my stock WRX to the drag strip, i think it would be very hard pressed to put up a contest at the drag strip against a T/A or SS of any kind. From what i have seen on here, i get the impression that a stock 06 could run low 14's and a stage 2 might be able to get into the 12's.

On another note, the WRX is hands down, the funnest car i have ever owned. (2003 SI, 1985 Omni GLHS, 2001 SS) It has all the power to beat 'most' stock cool-guy cars and has excellent handling. my factory warantee just ran out so i am hoping the cobb stage 2 with a stage 1 suspension puts this thing over the top and still maintains that daily driver capability that my SS lost after heavy modifications.
    2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    the 2006 wrx and 2009 wrx have different turbos and the 2009 wrx is putting out 1/4 mile times that supersede all STi's from years past.

So we're discussing the 09 wrx vs a T/A.

It's good to see some input from someone who owns both a WRX and SS though.

I will agree with 2.0rs though, that my altitude I'm sure accounts for why there aren't many non-turbo'd cars at the drags... Because I have only been beaten by one T/A or SS... and after talking to him.. that bastard had a twin turbo Way cool setup.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    Of course their are going to be a few crazy times but you can tell from the majority. Sounds like you just didnt like what you saw. The 09 wrx has a bit more than the power you are listing, and puts up almost identical qm times. if trapping around 102-104= "nuts up top" you need to get out more
    I trap more then that. Guess I do need to get out more. Like I said. Those times I quoted were pretty normal for those Ls1's back in the day when people were still stock. This is what I actually saw with my own eyes and knew most of the people running them. I don't go by random times on the internet like that. Just because you saw a handful of mid 13's on drag time doesn't take factor in the 10's of thousands that have gone to the drag strip.

1/4 mile time you should win if they are both stock for stock, and you know how to drive. Since you're a new WRX owner, I'll bet if you improved your driving you would have beat him!!

Good luck next time!
    Hmmm i would say not so much. It would be a drivers race if they where both bone stock. With good tires a stock auto LS1 F-body will run low 13s all day long. That does'nt leave a lot of room for error for the STI guy.

I can say back when i was bone stock with less then perfect tires i would run any where from 13.2-13.4 on every pass. Two of my STI friends have bone stock cars and ran 13.4-13.6. Now too be fair it was a hot day and i have seen a few stock STI's run very low 13s on that track but as said before its a drivers race in the 1/4. Any thing past that the LS1 will have a large edge.

Any way good near kill man. A few bolt ons and some practice and you will be eating the few stock LS1 cars left on the road for lunch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast