Me vs Pontiac GTO
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Me vs Pontiac GTO within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Black modded GTO from a rolling start at 60. We ran on an open road with no traffic and once ...

Me vs Pontiac GTO

Black modded GTO from a rolling start at 60. We ran on an open road with no traffic and once we went he just kept pulling on me. Not too bad though, a few more mods and maybe I can beat him. I want to run against his wife and her drag pack modded GTO. Beautiful cars, nice run but I got beat.
    Wicked Effects
    Blobeye Syndicate #108

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see matching a wrx up against a GTO, with a 60 mph rolling start, ever ending well for the WRX. At least not practically speaking. It would seem to be a competition that plays directly to the specific weakness of the WRX and directly to the specific strength of the GTO.

-The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I wanted to go from a dead stand still, but there were no lights or other suitbale areas enroute to the WAWA so he could get some coolant. He and his wife were nice people and I hope to get a chance at them from a light. Neither of us knew a good place to play without endangering others.
    Wicked Effects
    Blobeye Syndicate #108

Good run...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    I don't see matching a wrx up against a GTO, with a 60 mph rolling start, ever ending well for the WRX. At least not practically speaking. It would seem to be a competition that plays directly to the specific weakness of the WRX and directly to the specific strength of the GTO.

I agree....find a place to go from a dig and I think if would be alot closer depending on how good the drivers are..
    "Ahhhh, the sweet whistle of the turbo spooling up."

I Support ClubWRX
    My last "run" with a GTO (he was following me through traffic, not all that fast) ended with him getting pulled over and me driving home
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Was it a 5.7 or 6.0 GTO? Both can run but the 6.0 is obviously quicker and looks a little better with the ram air and dual exhaust.
    Nice run though and you should be able to give him a nice fight from a dig, but he will eventually come around you

On a side note I love the GTO interior design, leather and suede and very comfy IMO.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

haha

haha i live in australia n everyone drives theses things they called holdens over here.. literaly everyone drives a V8 SS Ute or sedan its soooo hard for my lil wrx to catch up to them...
    .:+WoNgStA+:. MY06 WRX

I hate to say it but the GTO's have a far superior interior to the WRX.... or STI

Quote Originally Posted by BStoakes View Post
    I hate to say it but the GTO's have a far superior interior to the WRX.... or STI
    I'd agree with that
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I sold my '06 GTO automatic prior to purchasing my '09 WRX. With a canned tune and a reprogrammed TCM, it ran a 12.8@109, which is probably around the same ET as a stage 1 '09 WRX, but its going to take a few additional mods on the WRX to trap 109. IMHO, from a dig, the two are pretty close. From a roll, the GTO should pull away strongly at higher speeds.

As already posted, the GTO's interior is much, much nicer than the WRX's. No comparison, really. The GTO's interior is actually much better than my '04 Z06 as well.

Fun to drive? Also no comparison. WRX hands down. My GTO had almost every Pedders (a big Australian performance suspension company) mod in the book, including a quick ratio steering rack, Hotchkis adjustable sways and sticky Bridgestone RE01Rs. The only suspension mod on my WRX is Cobb sways. While the GTO was definitely more planted, with much better controlled body motions, the WRX is far more confidence inspiring. Credit AWD. I was always hesitant to push the GTO for fear it would get away from me. I can push the WRX pretty hard (like 4 wheel drifts on the way to work hard) and never feel out of control.

A WRX with a GTO interior or a GTO with AWD would be about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck84 View Post
    While the GTO was definitely more planted, with much better controlled body motions, the WRX is far more confidence inspiring. Credit AWD. I was always hesitant to push the GTO for fear it would get away from me. I can push the WRX pretty hard (like 4 wheel drifts on the way to work hard) and never feel out of control.
    Been sideways a bunch of times in the GTO, but it was never a worry because RWD is pretty straightforward to correct. With RWD, it's rarely a surprise either.

AWD is a lot more confidence building, but it's like stick, stick, stick, gone... (as opposed to stick, stick, tire squeal, slide, gone... with the RWD)

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck84 View Post
    A WRX with a GTO interior or a GTO with AWD would be about perfect.
    That would be a Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    Was it a 5.7 or 6.0 GTO? Both can run but the 6.0 is obviously quicker and looks a little better with the ram air and dual exhaust.
    Nice run though and you should be able to give him a nice fight from a dig, but he will eventually come around you

On a side note I love the GTO interior design, leather and suede and very comfy IMO.
    He was running a modded 6.0. He and his wife are friends now and we hang regularly. Will get to run with him again, but after my car gets fixed.
    Wicked Effects
    Blobeye Syndicate #108

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.