me vs evo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on me vs evo within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; sad story today, but the first chance I've had for a challenge so I thought I would share... driving through ...

me vs evo

sad story today, but the first chance I've had for a challenge so I thought I would share...

driving through traffic (09 sti bone stock cept short throw) i spot an evo - not super familiar with the model years, but back badges were stripped, just "evolution" on the back right bumper and no wing. The hole where a front bumper should be looked 08 to me, but maybe I am wrong. Only other thing I could tell was exhaust mod

Traffic opens a little in middle lane where he is, so i slide in behind him and we hit a light. We are going uphill on a ~35 degree grade. Gives me no indication he wants to run, but light turns green and softly engages clutch, gets a small roll and floors it.....I do the same. He's off before I am obviously, pulling away for about a half a second before I regain to about a car's length behind him - at about the top of first until the top of second we are steady when the hill gets steeper 30ft past the intersection - @7K i clean shift to third, but he starts to pull away gradually to maybe another 1-1.5 lenghts ahead by ~6K in third where we both end it to make the same left turn. we are in different lanes in turning - we both look over, smile and wave (even though he had a smirk )

The evo was running rich i'm guessing with white smoke comming out the ehaust (and chopping) - i don't know if that's normal, or maybe he's stage1/2 with a bad/no tune? Knowing he was staged would make me feel a little better about loosing my first run (and it's ok to lie to me to make me feel better )

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I feel your pain, I hate those friggen Evo's! I have raced 2 and lost each time. Also, I have yet to run onto a "stock" evo. Thay all have crap done to them.

It happens...

That white smoke was either coolant or condensation... too much fuel would be black.
    Last edited by Pavia; 06-26-2009 at 07:08 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    It happens...

That white smoke was either coolant or condensation... too much fuel would be black.
    no way it was condensation - 80 degrees in so cal today at that time and we danced around each other for a few miles prior.

white smoke.... the exhaust system he had will play a bigger factor compared to temp... If he had an efficient high flow cat the temp wont matter... just him idling at the light will cause condensation to build up and be blown out of the exhaust.. even between shifts in some cases will cause a short burp of steam.

in my experience EVO's have usually always been faster then sti's but sti's out handle the EVO's... Your sti IS NOT A STRAIT LINE CAR... its designed for rally cornering and whipping by trees that are taking your rear view mirrors off at 90 mph...
    Last edited by Poohbear; 06-26-2009 at 07:52 PM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Sorry about your loss, bro! I have a love/hate relationship with EVO's. Sometimes I really like the way the look, but most of the time the suby in me TOTALLY HATES THEM!

gil
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    every manufacturer has a series of trims in one model car. Mitsubishi goes lancer > rallie art > evo ... Subaru goes impreza > wrx > sti... The fact that your STOCK 09 WRX ran with an evo and lost 1.5 lengths with him having the jump thats nothing to shake your head at.

now if you were in an STI the comparison would be different both the STI and EVO are on more level playing fields. Comparing the WRX to an EVO is like comparing the WRX to an STI...

and from the sound of it you make it seem like he wasnt stock.. so i will say good job my friend

EDIT- and as for the white smoke, the exhaust system he had will play a bigger factor compared to temp... If he had an efficient high flow cat the temp wont matter... just him idling at the light will cause condensation to build up and be blown out of the exhaust.. even between shifts in some cases will cause a short burp of steam...
    he was driving an sti .
    With great power comes great responsibility

gil
    I've only raced one evo and I stayed dead even with him from 0 to about 90ish . btw I drive an 06 stg 2 wrx .
    With great power comes great responsibility

Quote Originally Posted by gil View Post
    he was driving an sti .
    lol yeah i saw that and did a fast edit...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

white smoke.... the exhaust system he had will play a bigger factor compared to temp... If he had an efficient high flow cat the temp wont matter... just him idling at the light will cause condensation to build up and be blown out of the exhaust.. even between shifts in some cases will cause a short burp of steam.

in my experience EVO's have usually always been faster then sti's but sti's out handle the EVO's... Your sti IS NOT A STRAIT LINE CAR... its designed for rally cornering and whipping by trees that are taking your rear view mirrors off at 90 mph...
    The smoke only came when he hit 2nd->3rd - while we were driving around each other for a bit and while he was idling, there was no smoke - i don't know if that info helps at all....

And yeah I certainly did not buy the STI to run a straight line..I love the (exagerating) 0-roll 90degree corner @40 handling my STI brings me..but on the streets, I would think an STI comes across an Evo for a run very rarely where cornering is involved

its designed for rally cornering and whipping by trees that are taking your rear view mirrors off at 90 mph...
    A stock STI would crash into a tree in rally.....no way would I take her out without a good amount of mods

Quote Originally Posted by decrypted View Post

I would think an STI comes across an Evo for a run very rarely where cornering is involved
    Thats because they are hiding from us int he corners...

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

I've only had one run in with a modded Evo and I came out on top, which surprised me. I always had this golden aura about Evos. Maybe from reading about all those 1000hp cars in SCC magazine.

But, as Christian Bale would say, "Oh good for me!!!"
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I Support ClubWRX
    its designed for rally cornering and whipping by trees that are taking your rear view mirrors off at 90 mph...
    And you truly believe this?

Not to mention that there are plenty of EVO's in rally.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    And you truly believe this?

Not to mention that there are plenty of EVO's in rally.
    low profile tires, racing rims, big sways front and back, prodrive springs, v-lip...

My car wouldn't make it 1 mile on rally stage before tearing itself apart.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast