Me vs Mini Cooper S (turbo)

This is a discussion on Me vs Mini Cooper S (turbo) within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I just encountered a mini cooper s on the thruway, it was at least an 07 because I did ...

Me vs Mini Cooper S (turbo)

So I just encountered a mini cooper s on the thruway, it was at least an 07 because I did some research on them after this and could tell by the grill. Iím not big on mini's so I didnít know they put turbos in them since 07, I thought they still s/c them.

Some background I drive an 05 wrx, 35,000miles on it with just a cbe for now.

The mini looked at least like it had aftermarket exhaust. I do not know the guy so I didnít know for sure if he had anything else done.

Well he got behind me and was on my bumper doing about 50mph, I could hear his engine so im assuming he was at least in third/fourth. So I shifted to third and gunned it. To my surprise, he was doing a decent job keeping up. I backed off at around ninety. I gained a few feet on him but that was all. He gave me the thumbs up and that was it.

I know their four/five hundred pounds lighter and have a six speed, but is this what I should expect in a 50 roll race?
    Blobeye Syndicate # 111
    2005 WRX OBP 5MT.....Invidia cb, Helix dp, Cobb Ap stg. 2, Intake silencer delete

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's shocking I had no idea the Mini went to a turbo from a S/C.
    I see a really nice Red Mini Cooper S every morning, it has a checkered roof and mirrors, black wheels with red lip and like 4 big fog lights on the front. I have never ran him but I bet they are quick, but not WRX quick.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

yeah i feel like off the line would be a whole nother story. But i have more respect for them now, at least the S turbo lol.
    Blobeye Syndicate # 111
    2005 WRX OBP 5MT.....Invidia cb, Helix dp, Cobb Ap stg. 2, Intake silencer delete

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove an '08 S owned by a coworker recently, and thought of it as being "peppy", but not particularly quick. OTOH, his is the auto, and that 6-speed may make a difference. Looking at the mag data, it looks like they trapped in the mid-90's, so not terribly different from a stockish '05 WRX.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

a good friend of mine has a JCW (John Cooper Works) Mini S which makes 200 bhp from the factory which i believe is 20 more than the mini s...they started selling them in 07 and came with an upgraded suspension, exhaust, tune, interior bits, and brakes...it was a pretty quick car from a roll and was about dead even with my 06 wrx ... the car handled amazingly too

do you remember?

I think it was on this forum... there was a very friendly competition between an stock STI and a fully modded mini-s (supercharged). I really don't remember the story that well, but I think the STI driver had no formal racing experience and the mini driver did.

I believe the STI was still quicker on the road course.

This was a while back. I just thought I'd bring it up because it was a fun little competition and brought back remnants of a good memory. Anyone else remember?
    Never stop learning.

Quote Originally Posted by s202rxi View Post
    So I just encountered a mini cooper s on the thruway, it was at least an 07 because I did some research on them after this and could tell by the grill. Iím not big on mini's so I didnít know they put turbos in them since 07, I thought they still s/c them.

Some background I drive an 05 wrx, 35,000miles on it with just a cbe for now.

The mini looked at least like it had aftermarket exhaust. I do not know the guy so I didnít know for sure if he had anything else done.

Well he got behind me and was on my bumper doing about 50mph, I could hear his engine so im assuming he was at least in third/fourth. So I shifted to third and gunned it. To my surprise, he was doing a decent job keeping up. I backed off at around ninety. I gained a few feet on him but that was all. He gave me the thumbs up and that was it.

I know their four/five hundred pounds lighter and have a six speed, but is this what I should expect in a 50 roll race?
    If he was tucked up in your slip stream, you were moving all the air and he was not = huge difference in loads.

I'm opposed to running on public roads. So, if you get a chance to run one on a track, just make sure he's pushing his own air (beside you instead of behind) and you'll walk away from him.

Gotta' friend with a MiniS and there's no doubting the difference in power between my stock 06 Rex and his stock MiniS. Now, get into the curves at an autoX and I can not catch him. 'Beats me every time with a lot less HP and only the front two pulling.
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43

Quote Originally Posted by goBoating View Post
    Now, get into the curves at an autoX and I can not catch him. 'Beats me every time with a lot less HP and only the front two pulling.
    Looks like the rex needs a driver mod
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Quote Originally Posted by goBoating View Post
    If he was tucked up in your slip stream, you were moving all the air and he was not = huge difference in loads.

I'm opposed to running on public roads. So, if you get a chance to run one on a track, just make sure he's pushing his own air (beside you instead of behind) and you'll walk away from him.

Gotta' friend with a MiniS and there's no doubting the difference in power between my stock 06 Rex and his stock MiniS. Now, get into the curves at an autoX and I can not catch him. 'Beats me every time with a lot less HP and only the front two pulling.
    Good point! I never even thought that because he was behind me it was easier for him to keep up.
    Blobeye Syndicate # 111

Last fall I took my 2004 Mini Cooper S (stock 6 speed) to the dragstrip, and managed a best of 14.9 @ 93 mph. Best 60' I could get was a lousy 2.4. A new 2008 MCS (also stock 6 speed) got a 14.8 @ 95 mph on the same day. The new ones have a little more top end with the turbo, but they are all difficult to launch well. I'd expect a stock MCS to stay close with a stock WRX (2008 and earlier) from a roll based on comparable trap speeds. Anyone who can get an average launch with their WRX would eat up a stock MCS from a dead stop, of course.

It's a fun car to drive, and an absolute blast in the turns, but I do miss the AWD in the rain and snow.

2007 VW GTI 6 spd. No times yet
    2000 Firehawk convertible 6spd- 12.52 @ 114.7 mph. 2.09 60'

Sold: 2004 Mini Cooper S. 14.95 @ 93.8 mph.
    Sold: 2004 GTO 6 spd. 13.4 @ 104.5 mph
    Sold: 2002 WRX 5spd. 13.39 @100.7 mph. 1.81 60'

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    Looks like the rex needs a driver mod
    No doubt.

I replaced the OEM tires with a set of BFG TDKs and it sticks a lot better. Unfortunately, we have not run in the same event since, so I don't know if I can catch him with the new improved rubber. I'd also like to upgrade my rear anti-role bar at some point. If I could reduce the push a little, get the nose in a little quicker, I think I'd be chasing him down.

Even so, he's pretty good with his car. And, in the SC region, the Mini's routinely took fastest run of the day (2007 season).
    <---Is that not the ugliest critter?
    ---------------------------------------------
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #43