Got smoked
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Got smoked within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So today I was on my way to Blockbuster, and as I was sitting at a stop light, I look ...

Got smoked

So today I was on my way to Blockbuster, and as I was sitting at a stop light, I look in my rear view mirror to see a car coming ridiculously fast from 1.5 blocks away. As it slows down as the light was about to turn green, the guy takes off like a bat out of hell. It was an SLR McLaren First time ever seeing one. The guy wasn't even going full throttle, but it was enough that I couldn't even catch up. At each light he'd put like 5 cars on me before he got to the next light. Keep in mind he wasn't even going full throttle lol I have a vf43 wrx.

Anybody know if exotic car companies actually rent these things? It had Oklahoma plates on it so obviously he wasn't from CA.
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 06-02-2009 at 08:38 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    No idea on renting. There is a Merc dealer nearby and I've decided two things: the McLaren is not attractive in person, and I'll never buy from that dealer since their workers are both abusive to the cars they fill up at the gas station I use and generally abrasive.

Very rare IMO to hear of someone still going to Blockbuster. Have you considered mail-in or streaming services?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The SLR is good in a striaght line it sucks around turns. The brakes are fantastic they have Ceramic brakes which glow hot red on hard breaking which is fun as **** to do and to see it on the side of the road. They are very cheap looking on the inside as well. The SL65 black series is the replacement for the SLR.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

Very rare IMO to hear of someone still going to Blockbuster. Have you considered mail-in or streaming services?
    Tried it back when they started offering it. I didn't like the wait times. I like going to the store and seeing the covers and whatnot. Plus it's much easier to get the new releases on Tuesdays in person than having to be on a wait list online.

Quote Originally Posted by GageP View Post
    The SLR is good in a striaght line it sucks around turns. The brakes are fantastic they have Ceramic brakes which glow hot red on hard breaking which is fun as **** to do and to see it on the side of the road. They are very cheap looking on the inside as well. The SL65 black series is the replacement for the SLR.
    There was actually a 1/4-1/2 mile of sweeping twisties right after the last light and I contemplated on following, but since my turn was coming up to the store, my senses got the better of me, and I turned for the store.

Even if I followed I'd probably get owned. The turns are fairly high speed at about 60 mph (he'd probably be able to do 70-75), and I don't think my car or driving skill could take an SLR even though I have coilovers and whatnot.

C&D says they're coming out with a SLR replacement in 2011 dubbed the SLS AMG
    Last edited by TurnWRX; 06-02-2009 at 09:15 PM.

They have a lot of problems spinning out of turns because they are front engine cars. I've driven a few of them and they dont feel good around turns, the back end feels like its good to slip out almost every time.
    When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll bet the SLR sounded good moving down the road.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    It was an SLR McLaren First time ever seeing one. The guy wasn't even going full throttle, but it was enough that I couldn't even catch up. At each light he'd put like 5 cars on me before he got to the next light. Keep in mind he wasn't even going full throttle lol I have a vf43 wrx.
    Did you get to see the active spoiler in action, also I love how the exhaust exits right behind the front wheels.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

It's funny that when a car's back end doesn't get loose with throttle input people complain about too much understeer. I freely admit I don't drive a car at that level. I promise that while driving the Benz, I don't care one bit if the other guy's car is quicker around a road course or autox. One dip into the 740tq and I won't see him anymore anyway.

You can go just as fast as the McLaren in any of Mercedes' standard V12 AMG cars with just a little tweaking. You also get the luxury options you'd expect in that kind of car. OTOH, you should see posts on the Mercedes board like "the wife curbed 2 wheels on the McLaren today - $4k each". That'll bring the cost of mods into perspective!
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

ehh dont feel so bad

it happens to the best of of if there was a level higher than getting smoked than that would describe what happened to me. i was coming onto an expressway WOT in second a theres a gallardo next to me, i shift to third and hes just chillen next to me effortless. im still wot in 3rd when he desides to downshift and disappear . later i find him at a local car meet and i find out that his car is boosted. i stood no chance.
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

We beat the 30k-100k market with aftermarket parts, the 100k+ market is engineered beyond subies
    08 WRX Sedan
    the WRX is back! 340whp 366 tq @22psi

Quote Originally Posted by falkonsti View Post
    it happens to the best of of if there was a level higher than getting smoked than that would describe what happened to me. i was coming onto an expressway WOT in second a theres a gallardo next to me, i shift to third and hes just chillen next to me effortless. im still wot in 3rd when he desides to downshift and disappear . later i find him at a local car meet and i find out that his car is boosted. i stood no chance.
    I have never raced an exotic but I have been "smoked" many times. Just to name a couple,
    My buddies 94 Supra http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...rQzax11DnqH24Q
    And my buddies 69 Camaro SS, All I could find was a small pic. But it has 450whp, 6 speed, 383 stroker, complete frame off resto mod.
    Attachment 83897
    Last edited by ZACK777; 12-11-2009 at 09:17 AM.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Quote Originally Posted by TurnWRX View Post
    So today I was on my way to Blockbuster, and as I was sitting at a stop light, I look in my rear view mirror to see a car coming ridiculously fast from 1.5 blocks away. As it slows down as the light was about to turn green, the guy takes off like a bat out of hell. It was an SLR McLaren First time ever seeing one. The guy wasn't even going full throttle, but it was enough that I couldn't even catch up. At each light he'd put like 5 cars on me before he got to the next light. Keep in mind he wasn't even going full throttle lol I have a vf43 wrx.

Anybody know if exotic car companies actually rent these things? It had Oklahoma plates on it so obviously he wasn't from CA.

You really thought you'd beat this car?
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    No idea on renting. There is a Merc dealer nearby and I've decided two things: the McLaren is not attractive in person, and I'll never buy from that dealer since their workers are both abusive to the cars they fill up at the gas station I use and generally abrasive.

I got a glimse of a McLaren once. Meh.

Netflix selection > *
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    I got a glimse of a McLaren once. Meh.

Netflix selection > *
    Compared to the original SLR the McLaren SLR is simply not attractive and honestly it just does not say "own me" at all. The lines are confused, the gills look awkward, and the doors are off too. "Meh" covers it well for me too.

300SLR? Any time, any day. Pure class.

It's cheaper to buy a DVD than to go to the cinema, and at home I don't have to put up with the inconveniences of a cinema, so I do that exclusively at this stage. I just don't go out to watch movies (outdoor, summertime open-air cinemas with tables and drinks are an exception, especially if they're showing classics). I also don't go out to rent movies. With all the mail and streaming and sneakerware options, I've not needed to in years.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I'll bet the SLR sounded good moving down the road.
    Honestly, it was ridiculously quiet. I barely heard it. Like I said, he wasn't even going full throttle, but I still got owned like I was going in reverse lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    Did you get to see the active spoiler in action, also I love how the exhaust exits right behind the front wheels.
    No, I don't think he was going fast enough to use it. Doesn't it only turn on when you're doing 70+ mph?

Quote Originally Posted by falkonsti View Post
    I don't feel bad at all really. I knew I was going to get smoked, just wanted to see how badly But yah, my situation was kinda like yours, except he paid no attention to me. He just drove fast.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
    You really thought you'd beat this car?
    No, not at all. If it was a race in reverse, I'd still get owned. Like I said in my first post, the guy was just driving fast from stop light to stop light. He paid no attention to me, but I just wanted to see how badly I would get owned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast