Audi A4 1.8 "300hp man!"
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Audi A4 1.8 "300hp man!" within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Dude says: Intake: 20hp Intercooler: 20hp GIAC chip: 40-50hp the list goes on and on. Thinks he can whoop me, ...

Wrinklechops

Audi A4 1.8 "300hp man!"

Dude says:

Intake: 20hp
    Intercooler: 20hp
    GIAC chip: 40-50hp

the list goes on and on.

Thinks he can whoop me, because mine is "not an STi".

Anyone ever get beat by a modded A4 though, just curious?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm sure somebody will point out a fast A4 but in all honesty, if it isn't an S4 from the twin-turbo V6 era I don't think it's got a whole lot of potential.

Most with 1.8s are looking at like high 12s with everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them. You can't really fault it -- that's damn fast for a largeish car with only 1.8 liters no matter what hairdryer is on it.
    John M
    2000 Lincoln Continental - slow DD with the DOHC 4.6 and a Superchips tune
    1992 Lexus SC400 - slow resto project
    2005 Legacy GT Limited - SOLD Feb 2011 - Forged internals, FP HTA Green @ 22 psi.

my friend has a audi 2.0t with an intake, dp, and stage 2 tune...My 06 wrx is stock except for a catback...i pull on him from a roll and the wrx is just capable of such harder launches...its close but i always take him...my other friend just got a B6 S4( the one with the V8), and i am a car length until 80 mph, then he pulls on me...honestly, you should destroy the audi if you a decent driver

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    I'm sure somebody will point out a fast A4 but in all honesty, if it isn't an S4 from the twin-turbo V6 era I don't think it's got a whole lot of potential.

Most with 1.8s are looking at like high 12s with everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them. You can't really fault it -- that's damn fast for a largeish car with only 1.8 liters no matter what hairdryer is on it.
    Yea, you're right, enough $ thrown into a lot of things will make it fast. I guess I'm more of a fan of knowing the limits... I mean, could I push over 600hp out of my WRX? Sure, if I had all the money in the world to throw at it and have it rebuilt from the ground up basically. But do I want to do that? Eh, it could be fun, but I'd probably much rather have a car with 600hp out of the box, if that was my end goal or something.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by liljon350 View Post
    my friend has a audi 2.0t with an intake, dp, and stage 2 tune...My 06 wrx is stock except for a catback...i pull on him from a roll and the wrx is just capable of such harder launches...its close but i always take him...my other friend just got a B6 S4( the one with the V8), and i am a car length until 80 mph, then he pulls on me...honestly, you should destroy the audi if you a decent driver

Yea, my friend has a 2000 Audi S4, the 2.7 twin turbo model. That thing has serious potential. His few mods have pushed him over 400tq (not sure of the wtq exactly, but that's crank tq). The ones with the V8s are big heavy saloon cars. The RS4 is a different animal, but we're not even going there. We're discussing a 1.8T with a stock turbo, a mid pipe and a cat-back, an intake, lightened flywheel and a larger FMIC. Oh, and a GIAC chip. For something that has 150hp stock, I'm really not buying his 300hp story.

I invited him to the track next week. He's never run 1/4 in his life nor has he any idea what sort of state of tune his car is in whatsoever.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 05-12-2009 at 10:51 PM.

i just looked at your mod list and started laughing, i don't even know why your debating this...

i had a stage 2 1.8t passat (basically the same as the A4) before my last WRX, and i ran a 16 flat with it granted im at 6k ft elevation, but its just not there, dont think twice and show him how we do it in the subie world! maybe he'll convert like i did!

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Bedhead42 View Post
    i had a stage 2 1.8t passat (basically the same as the A4) before my last WRX, and i ran a 16 flat with it granted im at 6k ft elevation, but its just not there, dont think twice and show him how we do it in the subie world! maybe he'll convert like i did!
    Hopefully he'll take me up on the offer to go to Bandimere here soon

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    Dude says:

Intake: 20hp
    Intercooler: 20hp
    GIAC chip: 40-50hp

the list goes on and on.

Thinks he can whoop me, because mine is "not an STi".

Anyone ever get beat by a modded A4 though, just curious?
    First of all check his mod list again, 20hp with intake on a 1.8L not to mention 40-50Hp on a generic chip... I CALL BULL****

WASTE OF FUEL. But if you do feel its necessary to race, start in second gear from a dig.
    VF-43 Bugeye: OPEN SOURCE tune... 121xxx miles

13.1@105... Lazy launch 1.9 60'
    285whp and 300WTQ.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxlaunch View Post
    40-50Hp on a generic chip... I CALL BULL****

the garrett chip (giac) on the 1.8 gives 40hp/60tq. its not "BULL****"

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    the garrett chip (giac) on the 1.8 gives 40hp/60tq. its not "BULL****"
    Sure, but the same could be said for our Cobb Stage 2 map gain. I think that's like a 50+hp and tq gain. It's funny to look at potential gain numbers though, without actually ever putting your car on a dyno or anything.

So let's do the math. That car comes STOCK with 150hp. And you guys think that his 20hp intake, ECU upgrade, intercooler, etc he's pushing his claimed 300hp? Faster than my Stage 2 + few other mods?

At least I know realistically that I'm probably not over 220whp.

Sure, but the same could be said for our Cobb Stage 2 map gain. I think that's like a 50+hp and tq gain. It's funny to look at potential gain numbers though, without actually ever putting your car on a dyno or anything.

So let's do the math. That car comes STOCK with 150hp. And you guys think that his 20hp intake, ECU upgrade, intercooler, etc he's pushing his claimed 300hp? Faster than my Stage 2 + few other mods?

At least I know realistically that I'm probably not over 220whp.
    It's been awhile but i thought the 1.8T has 170hp? But yeah, something doens't add up. Unless he has a stage 3 turbo kit, I don't think how he could be @300hp. (see APR - High Performance Development for Audi Vehicles )

But don't dis the S4. Check this out (the 3rd run) YouTube - Fun Night 2

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by yass View Post
    It's been awhile but i thought the 1.8T has 170hp? But yeah, something doens't add up. Unless he has a stage 3 turbo kit, I don't think how he could be @300hp. (see APR - High Performance Development for Audi Vehicles )

But don't dis the S4. Check this out (the 3rd run) YouTube - Fun Night 2
    According to MSN autos (which I use as a fairly accurate comparison dealy-o), the 2000 A4 had 150. And it also wasn't AWD. He claims his is. Hmm.

Audi A4 Compare - Engines and Performance - MSN Autos

I also didn't diss the S4 because I know how powerful those can be. My friend has one with a few mods, and it's pretty fast, and it's AWD. The kid with the A4 said the S4 is "too heavy" - yea, well, the S4 has twice the turbos, and almost twice the power as the identical year A4. Lol

Edit: also, those S4s in the video are sick, but they're far from stock. That one S4 has the RS4 turbos, and that's no joke.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 05-13-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    According to MSN autos (which I use as a fairly accurate comparison dealy-o), the 2000 A4 had 150. And it also wasn't AWD. He claims his is. Hmm.
    you can get the a4's in quatro (awd)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Audi A4 Compare - Engines and Performance - MSN Autos
    MSN's setup is good, but they don't always have list everything correctly. MSN also does not list an automatic transmission option.
    KBB displays the automatic and Quattro options for the 2000 A4
    Kelley Blue Book - Select Equipment - Audi, A4 - Official Kelley Blue Book Site

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast