40K views 135 replies 21 participants last post by  Wrinklechops 
G
#1 ·
Dude says:

Intake: 20hp
Intercooler: 20hp
GIAC chip: 40-50hp

the list goes on and on.

Thinks he can whoop me, because mine is "not an STi".

:rotfl:

Anyone ever get beat by a modded A4 though, just curious?

#2 ·
I'm sure somebody will point out a fast A4 but in all honesty, if it isn't an S4 from the twin-turbo V6 era I don't think it's got a whole lot of potential.

Most with 1.8s are looking at like high 12s with everything but the kitchen sink thrown at them. You can't really fault it -- that's damn fast for a largeish car with only 1.8 liters no matter what hairdryer is on it.

G
#4 ·
Yea, you're right, enough $ thrown into a lot of things will make it fast. I guess I'm more of a fan of knowing the limits... I mean, could I push over 600hp out of my WRX? Sure, if I had all the money in the world to throw at it and have it rebuilt from the ground up basically. But do I want to do that? Eh, it could be fun, but I'd probably much rather have a car with 600hp out of the box, if that was my end goal or something.

#3 ·
my friend has a audi 2.0t with an intake, dp, and stage 2 tune...My 06 wrx is stock except for a catback...i pull on him from a roll and the wrx is just capable of such harder launches...its close but i always take him...my other friend just got a B6 S4( the one with the V8), and i am a car length until 80 mph, then he pulls on me...honestly, you should destroy the audi if you a decent driver

G
#5 · (Edited)
Yea, my friend has a 2000 Audi S4, the 2.7 twin turbo model. That thing has serious potential. His few mods have pushed him over 400tq (not sure of the wtq exactly, but that's crank tq). The ones with the V8s are big heavy saloon cars. The RS4 is a different animal, but we're not even going there. We're discussing a 1.8T with a stock turbo, a mid pipe and a cat-back, an intake, lightened flywheel and a larger FMIC. Oh, and a GIAC chip. For something that has 150hp stock, I'm really not buying his 300hp story.

I invited him to the track next week. He's never run 1/4 in his life nor has he any idea what sort of state of tune his car is in whatsoever.

#7 ·
i had a stage 2 1.8t passat (basically the same as the A4) before my last WRX, and i ran a 16 flat with it :rotfl: granted im at 6k ft elevation, but its just not there, dont think twice and show him how we do it in the subie world! maybe he'll convert like i did!

#9 ·
First of all check his mod list again, 20hp with intake on a 1.8L not to mention 40-50Hp on a generic chip... I CALL BULL****:screwy::screwy::screwy::screwy::rotfl:

WASTE OF FUEL. But if you do feel its necessary to race, start in second gear from a dig.

#17 ·
seems like a lot of people don't know the difference between bhp, chp, and whp.

G
#19 ·
The GLI with a 1.8T like the A4 or a different GLI? Either way, did you beat him pretty badly? I'm guessing he was stock because you said he "wants to mod it"? I mean, does he have all those mods you listed?

#27 ·
just a few things:

the B5 A4 came with 2 different hp ratings for the 1.8t. early motors had 150bhp and the later model with the ko3s turbo had 170bhp.

now, there are MULTIPLE, and I mean MULTIPLE A4s running around with over 300whp, let alone 300chp, but it does not sound like this guy is one of them.

the GIAC chip will give 50hp and something like 80tq (max), i have one, its valid. the intake is bull****, on a stock motor an aftermarket intake does nothing but magnify the sound of the turbo and DV. an FMIC will also do nothing too impressive except for keep IATs low when running high boost for extended periods of time (aka on track days).

my dad has a cobb re-mapped 265 and there is no comparison between his car and my a4 (i have maybe 220bhp and 230-240tq, max) mods are GIAC chip, 3" cat delete, 2.5" straight through exhaust...pretty basic.

this A4 owner sounds like a moron, and makes us all generally look stupid.

for the record, most A4 owners bought their cars for the comfort and class, not for the performance. however, like i said, there are many turning out huge numbers, and many which blow the doors off of stage II-III S4s, let alone stock ones. also, there are many which have owned or currently do own wrx's, so most can appreciate them

cheers.

G
#28 ·
How do you get more tq (80?) over hp (50) with just a chip on a 1.8 engine??? That's the primary reason the 2.5 engine WRXs and STis make more torque than us 2.0 engine guys. I could probably make similar hp numbers as a 2006 WRX with my 2005 WRX, but I'll never have the torque that he does.

I don't doubt there are some fast A4s, for sure. As far as being a sports car performance minded car from the factory, the A4 is obviously no match for it's bigger brother, the S4. My friend's GIAC chipped B5 S4 supposedly is pushing over 400tq easy. 2.7 twin turbo V6... It's heavier, yes, but I am not kidding that thing could probably take many STis and WRXs even highly tuned ones...

What year A4 do you have? And what's a re-mapped 265? lol jk do you mean a WRX with a Stage 1 map from Cobb, otherwise stock? Just curious because your mods are similar to this A4 guy I'm workin on....

#29 ·
Not sure precisely where the tq and hp comes from. Fuel injection is changed and stock boost jumps from 10 psi to 18 (for the AEB motor which I have.) Other than the chip I have the exhaust and an aftermarket diverter valve. Short shift kit and decent brakes but those obviously have nothing to really to do with performance.

A chipped, otherwise stock s4 has 300hp, don't think its putting out 400tq. Many stage III s4s barely put that down (to the wheels) tune and supporting mod dependant of course.

And yes, its a cobb stage 1 ;) that my dad has.

The a4 was not performance driven from the factory of course, its slow as hell lol. But the potential is certainly there. Like I said, you shouldn't have much trouble with this clown

G
#30 ·
My friend's 2000 S4 was only rated at like 260hp and 300tq from the factory. He's "Stage 2"-ish from GIAC, with a Stasis built tranny, lightweight clutch and stage 2 or 3 clutch, I forget. According to him, he's making 400tq and about 310hp. That's close to 300 to the wheels torque. All dyno sheets point to a 280-300+ wtq numbers, and that really makes up the difference when you he's weighing in at 3700lbs I think. The only car I've been in that's felt faster is probably my friend (Sinister)'s highly modded 06 WRX with a Pro-tune. That's not counting the 2001 M5 I test drove... *drools*..... and his WRX is putting like 250hp to the wheels, on a very low reading dyno. I would like to see his WRX vs my other friend's S4.

The Ultimate whp/wtq Dyno Thread - Audizine Forums

What year WRX is that Stage 1 map on that you're referring to? That makes a lot of difference because I don't know if you're talking about the 02-05 engine, or the 06+ engine...

#42 ·
you build the engine and put a massive turbo on any 3200lb awd car and you can get 11 second 1/4 miles...

For minor basic mods, tit for tat, the A4 isn't much of a beast. I think that was more of what they were trying to discuss.

#43 ·
I can't imagine the streetability prospects for a GT3076R being fed by a 1.8 liter. I don't know any car that wouldn't be fast after you fully build the engine and install a huge turbo. After all, even some Hondas manage it! After having a half-dozen turbo DSMs, I decided I liked displacement along with my turbos. I wouldn't have bought a Subaru if they offered only the 2.0.

I approached my car is a pretty Audi-esque manner. I picked the Legacy so I could have more "car" to go with the drivetrain and at 3400lbs it's no heavyweight either. I now have the luxury of a stout 2.5 liter that'll go perfectly with the FPGreen I'm installing now. I won't win any dyno awards but the power under the curve will be very nice for a fully bolt-on setup.

#51 ·
First off, I am new to the subie world but not new to the vw/audi world. I just recently purchased a 2003 wrx because my last car (audi a6 2.7t 6speed) finally bit the dust.
I can say first hand experience with the 1.8t 20v motor and it is not the best platform to build off of. I used to have a Vw Gti with the same motor as the a4 you guys are talking about. I was running a Garret gt28 series turbo with more money into building that car to handle the boost that I care to think about. It dyno'd @ approx 261whp. It felt fast but it was super hard to put the power to good use due to traction issues. I never raced a subaru wrx but I did race a mitsubishi lancer evo8 and got walked on from the start.

I also had a vw 2001 passat that was stock except for a
Neuspeed chip, Cai and catback exhaust. It was a major turd and I think the only thing that I ever raced in it was a few ricerboy civics.

Now if you start talking about the 2.7t v6 motor then we are playing a totally different ballgame.

G
#52 ·
+1, the 2.7 twin turbo v6 that my friend has in his 2000 S4 is a totally different story. With the K04 turbos and supporting mods and a decent tune, he'd be pushing 400-500hp easily, I think. Torque is INSANE on those things too. But we've discussed this many many times throughout this thread.

Alas, I am glad I know even a heavily modified A4 isn't a match for an equally modified WRX. If I threw a GT28 turbo on my setup, I would push 261whp easily.. hell, I wonder if my stock TD04 pnp, ceramic coated, along with a few other tweaks/mods/and a protune I could push 260whp.

#53 ·
You used a GT28 eliminator which is a joke. Not even a true Garrett but a hybrid designed to fit in a KKK exhaust housing. Not to mention that a FWD platform to begin with is horrible.

Had you used a true GT2871r the results would've been much closer to 350whp, unfortunately for that kind of output you need forged rods.

Umm, what "money" did you put to achieve a measly 260whp? Thats a bolt on turbo needing nothing more than bigger injectors, maf and tune. (And judging from your results you used one ****ty tune, as there are people who made 260whp on a STOCK TURBO on a FWD 06B transverse 1.8t platform!) (Yes, theres a big difference between transverse and longitudinal 1.8t's.) :confused1

VWvortex Forums: My Stock turbo tuning guide

As far as I'm concerned, the motor has huge potential.
You can conveniently check that out here.

B5 A4 Projects & Builds - Audizine Forums

#81 ·
one of my close friends has a 2008 A4 with a TBE and tune...My 06 wrx has a catback and it is pretty even with me having a slight edge...we race alot and bu1lsh1t about our cars a lot because they are pretty even...our other close friend has a 2004 b6 s4 and from a dig it is pretty even with us too until about 85-90mph, then he walks away :unhappy:

G
#82 ·
I love how this thread has kept going ;)

My friend with the B5 2000 S4 came off a Jetta VR6 that he wanted to turbo but ended up saying screw it and got the S4 instead. Probably better in the long run as far as power goes...

But I know the VR6 can be wicked fast. Not a fair race against a WRX I don't think. 6cyl vs 4cyl, both turbo...hmm.... wonder who's gonna win that one...

But anyways, I guess I'll let you two continue to battle this one out. Militant Grunt, what do you have again, a built A4?

#90 ·
The car didn't handle the 260hp that it made, let alone any more. After first gear decided to grenade itself I had the transmition rebuilt and had a Neuspeed clutch system installed. I was also warned by the guy that did my tranny that I would brake other driveline parts if i wasn't careful and that I shouldn't over abuse the transmition even after it was rebuilt.

G
#91 ·
Just like a good 'ol Honda Civic... only can take so much before you start destroying things up front there with FWD ;)

I knew a local tuner shop a few years back that had a Nissan Sentra SE-R super tuned and was putting over 400whp but they could never take it to the track because they said every time they went to launch it, the front axle and components were breaking at a record pace. :rotfl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.