Audi A4 1.8 "300hp man!" - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Audi A4 1.8 "300hp man!" within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by voiceofonelk3 The car didn't handle the 260hp that it made, let alone any more. After first gear ...

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by voiceofonelk3 View Post
    The car didn't handle the 260hp that it made, let alone any more. After first gear decided to grenade itself I had the transmition rebuilt and had a Neuspeed clutch system installed. I was also warned by the guy that did my tranny that I would brake other driveline parts if i wasn't careful and that I shouldn't over abuse the transmition even after it was rebuilt.

Just like a good 'ol Honda Civic... only can take so much before you start destroying things up front there with FWD

I knew a local tuner shop a few years back that had a Nissan Sentra SE-R super tuned and was putting over 400whp but they could never take it to the track because they said every time they went to launch it, the front axle and components were breaking at a record pace.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=wrx0131;2478251]
    Quote Originally Posted by Militant-Grunt View Post

Someone correct me if Im wrong but...

An Evo comes with around 230-240whp straight from the factory; an STi with around 250whp; a mustang GT with around 240whp i believe...

How many cars for that price range are just as fast as those cars for the same year...

A g37 puts down about 280whp and weighs like 3500-3700 lbs

A g37 will not "stomp" on either an EVO or an STi.....and not a mustang gt either

If you are talking about porsches and ferraris; then not even a 330whp audi will take a 350hp porsche 997S
    I wouldn't call those cars high performance either lol...

Im reffering to M's, AMG's, S/RS's, Plain jane vette's and etc..

If I invested the supposed '8k' into a gti and only got 260whp that can't even take out a E55k or a M5 then I'd honestly cry.

My A4 has already made a mockery of a 6.0 GTO with bolt ons, a E90 M3 V8, a RS4, C5 Z06, chipped/ catless 335i's.., and a 370whp Evo.. Whole different ball game here. Once I get my HTA 3076, I'm slapping meth on the car and aiming for 500whp on pump. A minimum in my eyes is 400whp to have any sort of good fun.

The car didn't handle the 260hp that it made, let alone any more. After first gear decided to grenade itself I had the transmition rebuilt and had a Neuspeed clutch system installed. I was also warned by the guy that did my tranny that I would brake other driveline parts if i wasn't careful and that I shouldn't over abuse the transmition even after it was rebuilt.

It can MORE than handle it. If anything there is more huge turbo GTi's running around than A4's... Granted, traction is an issue, but even my AWD A4 will spin 1st and sometimes 2nd depending on surface...

YouTube - Peter GT35R AWD GTI

YouTube - VW Golf 1.8T 700Ps Power techniques

YouTube - 700WHP

[QUOTE=Wrinklechops;2478372]

+1 and someone jump in here and stop me but... the A4's tranny and drivetrain would start to crumble once you started pushing past 260whp, no?

Hell, I know our WRX's can't take much more than close to 300whp or just over before they start to have issues, right?

Kevin, you put down 294whp, didn't you say if you put much more down you'd have to be looking at a 6spd tranny?
    GTi's need an upgraded transmission fork. Its very thin in GTi's.

AWD A4's not really, you can break the rear differential bracket (Ive only seen that on the massive torque of the 2.7 S4's, yet to see it happen on a 1.8t A4) or mess up a synchro / a gear if you miss-shift. I've broken an axle on my stock turbo 98 A4 (96-00 are toothpick thin, though some people with 500whp A4's haven't broken them..) that and I had aftermarket rebuilt axles on that car and not OEM. My current 01 has larger hubs and the same size axles as a V6 2.8 / S4. Yet to see anyone break one of those. I have a custom made dual diaphragm 3700lbs VR6 clutch with a 4 puck ceramic disc, yet to remotely destroy the clutch. Though most people run 2400lbs stock sachs pressure plates with fermaic or ceramic discs and not have issues. (I kind of went with overkill)

Most crucial part of a 1.8t motor is the rods, which can break/ bend at anything over 320whp or so. (hence you need forged ones to be able to handle load) Then if you want to rev the motor out you need upgraded exhaust valves / springs. I rev to 8500rpm.. Motor wise, same applies for a transverse GTi 1.8t as it does to a longitudinal 1.8t. Other than that you really don't need anything else to have fun =D.

(I heard about the WRX glass transmissions, esp bug-eye, not so for the A4)
    Last edited by Militant-Grunt; 06-19-2009 at 07:16 PM.

[QUOTE=Militant-Grunt;2478398]
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post

I wouldn't call those cars high performance either lol...

Im reffering to M's, AMG's, S/RS's, Plain jane vette's and etc..

If I invested the supposed '8k' into a gti and only got 260whp that can't even take out a E55k or a M5 then I'd honestly cry.

My A4 has already made a mockery of a 6.0 GTO with bolt ons, a E90 M3 V8, a RS4, C5 Z06, chipped/ catless 335i's.., and a 370whp Evo.. Whole different ball game here. Once I get my HTA 3076, I'm slapping meth on the car and aiming for 500whp on pump. A minimum in my eyes is 400whp to have any sort of good fun.
    Are you kidding me?

An M5?????

ITS $80,000!!.....and has a claimed 500hp

I have spent over 10 grand on my car...and it sits at about 304whp (dynojet)....which would be much less on a mustang dyno...

At least I know that my cars tranny can take the power, and I did all the necessary mods for my car not to break on me...

All these cars you've named are well over 60 grand...

300whp on a 3300lb car is "enough" for the average person to enjoy

Of course we will want more, but even 250whp on a gti is good enough.

I know plenty of civics out there with 280whp that will put 300+whp cars to shame...
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

LOL 400whp to have any real fun?!?!?!??!?!....i just got back from test driving my friends "saabaru" with an 18g...he showed me the dyno graph for it and it makes 260whp...i felt like it was the fastest thing in the world ....mind you i am coming from a stock rex

Wrinklechops

(I heard about the WRX glass transmissions, esp bug-eye, not so for the A4)

Not on the Blob-eyes, or the Hawk-eyes... I can't wait to murderalize the kid with the A4 who keeps coming round my house talking smack about my Stage 2.583826238564 WRX. Even with my OTS XPT map, I am not scared. I am also not scared of my roommate's Volvo S40 T5 5cyl turbo AWD with a few mods (TBE, Samco inlet hose, Evolve IC, etc)

Launch Control baby... Yokohama S.Drives... and hopefully by Wednesday I'll have upgraded lowering springs, electronic boost control, and phenolic spacers. That's what I call Stage 2.427893286932!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by liljon350 View Post
    LOL 400whp to have any real fun?!?!?!??!?!....i just got back from test driving my friends "saabaru" with an 18g...he showed me the dyno graph for it and it makes 260whp...i felt like it was the fastest thing in the world ....mind you i am coming from a stock rex
    If you were spoiled by 400whp-500whp Audi's that pin you with 1.2g into your seat then yes, you'd call 260whp slow. I wouldn't even feel anything in a car like that. Like I said, its a whole different ball game, that you get used to very quickly and never want to go back.

Wrinklechops
    If you were spoiled by 400whp-500whp Audi's that pin you with 1.2g into your seat then yes, you'd call 260whp slow. I wouldn't even feel anything in a car like that. Like I said, its a whole different ball game, that you get used to very quickly and never want to go back.

Oh the privileged few....

[QUOTE=wrx0131;2478414]

Are you kidding me?

An M5?????

ITS $80,000!!.....and has a claimed 500hp

I have spent over 10 grand on my car...and it sits at about 304whp (dynojet)....which would be much less on a mustang dyno...

At least I know that my cars tranny can take the power, and I did all the necessary mods for my car not to break on me...

All these cars you've named are well over 60 grand...

300whp on a 3300lb car is "enough" for the average person to enjoy

Of course we will want more, but even 250whp on a gti is good enough.

I know plenty of civics out there with 280whp that will put 300+whp cars to shame...

This was a good post up until the point where you mentioned a "fast" civic
    I do agree with everything else you said though.

[QUOTE=voiceofonelk3;2478685]
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post

This was a good post up until the point where you mentioned a "fast" civic
    I do agree with everything else you said though.
    lol, this Forum doesn't quote people very well. I didn't mention fast civics. Thats in my mind.

My friend has an STi that is way faster than my car, and when i took him for a ride in mine, he told me that my car felt really fast...
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

[QUOTE=Militant-Grunt;2478692]

lol, this Forum doesn't quote people very well. I didn't mention fast civics. Thats in my mind.
    I mentioned the civics lol....what the hell is going on with the quotes?
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

I was trying to quote what wrx0131 said about him knowing "plenty of civics out there with 280whp that will put 300+whp cars to shame".

I Support ClubWRX
    I was trying to quote what wrx0131 said about him knowing "plenty of civics out there with 280whp that will put 300+whp cars to shame".
    Testing the quotes script...

edit...seems to work okay for me..
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon