Let's talk competition!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Let's talk competition!! within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So my brother in law and very good friend is buying a 2008 mazda speed 3 and is already started ...

Let's talk competition!!

So my brother in law and very good friend is buying a 2008 mazda speed 3 and is already started talking smack I have an '07 Wrx limited at Cobb stage 2. He will pretty much be stage 1 off the bat and then probably stage 2 soon after that...Assuming I'm the better driver who will win in a friendly race (1/4 mile and or highway). Also...If i'm running the stage 2 map from cobb which is 16 psi peak...Is it possible to increase the boost 1 more psi and keep the stage 2 map or is it a must to get a protune at that point? (how much money on average is a protune?)

The numbers on the speed 3 are impressive let's talk about why we love subaru's more!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You should not just turn it up 1 psi.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

ok...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Leify
    So my brother in law and very good friend is buying a 2008 mazda speed 3 and is already started talking smack I have an '07 Wrx limited at Cobb stage 2. He will pretty much be stage 1 off the bat and then probably stage 2 soon after that...Assuming I'm the better driver who will win in a friendly race (1/4 mile and or highway). Also...If i'm running the stage 2 map from cobb which is 16 psi peak...Is it possible to increase the boost 1 more psi and keep the stage 2 map or is it a must to get a protune at that point? (how much money on average is a protune?)

The numbers on the speed 3 are impressive let's talk about why we love subaru's more!
    There's more to adding power than just upping the boost. You have to take into account things like AFR, timing, etc.

If you're comfortable modifying the ECU, Cobb now allows you to edit maps for free (AccessTUNER?).

A custom tune is usually somewhere in the $300-500 range. You could sell your AP, buy a used VF39 and get a custom open-source tune and break even, and be close to a StageII STi
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-28-2009 at 06:26 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Hmmm that's a good idea...but can i get the sti turbo and not upgrade the TMIC? And also, will I blow gears/clutch with that kind of power increase?
    (and no i don't launch often or shift hard)

Quote Originally Posted by Leify View Post
    Hmmm that's a good idea...but can i get the sti turbo and not upgrade the TMIC? And also, will I blow gears/clutch with that kind of power increase?
    Right now, I think you'd have trouble with the MS3.

You could go with a protune by a shop and you'd get more power than what 1 psi would ever give you.

You don't "need" to upgrade the TMIC, but your losing potential gains from heat by not doing so. If your going to get a used VF39, you might as well get a used STI TMIC as well. Do a lot of research, because there are a lot of little things to consider as well.

You could blow a gear or damage your clutch right now at Stage 2. More power means more chances of the same. I would drive it very smartly (no launches ever!) and be ready to replace your clutch sooner than later. And don't get a performance clutch. You'll be putting even more stress on the stock gears if you do. I would also start a tranny upgrade fund for the future.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

And if I use the accesstuner race program to edit the stage 2 map...maybe squeak like 5-10 more hp out of it...Will it harm the vehicle?

Wow so when the clutch goes I should replace with an OEM clutch?

Sorry for the stupidity but what do you mean by "right now, i think you'd have trouble with the MS3"
    Last edited by Leify; 04-28-2009 at 08:56 PM.

yeah idk either lol, i think you would smoke the speed3 being stage 2...on the highway he will have a slight advantage though

Well he will be buying the accessport and a CAI like any minute so he will be stage 1 off the bat...around 283 at the crank...I'm only 285 plus a little extra for drop in K&N and silencer delete...

So why does his car have the advantage on the highway?

Oh just figured out that ms3 is mazda speed 3 haha...at stage 2 I will have trouble with beating him? A stock 07 wrx beats a stock ms3 in 0-60...?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavia
    You don't "need" to upgrade the TMIC, but your losing potential gains from heat by not doing so. If your going to get a used VF39, you might as well get a used STI TMIC as well. Do a lot of research, because there are a lot of little things to consider as well.

You could blow a gear or damage your clutch right now at Stage 2. More power means more chances of the same. I would drive it very smartly (no launches ever!) and be ready to replace your clutch sooner than later. And don't get a performance clutch. You'll be putting even more stress on the stock gears if you do. I would also start a tranny upgrade fund for the future.
    You can get a VF39 / STi TMIC used for $500 or so. That's about what you could sell your AP for. Factor in a custom tune, you'll be spending $300-500.

I wouldn't worry about your transmission, really. There is an increased chance of damage (as Pavia said), but if you know how to drive, it shouldn't be an issue.

And if I use the accesstuner race program to edit the stage 2 map...maybe squeak like 5-10 more hp out of it...Will it harm the vehicle?
    If you know what you're doing, it shouldn't. A bad tune (or someone tweaking parameters they don't understand) will quickly lead to a blown motor.

Well he will be buying the accessport and a CAI like any minute so he will be stage 1 off the bat...around 283 at the crank...I'm only 285 plus a little extra for drop in K&N and silencer delete...
    A drop-in filter / silencer delete won't net you any noticeable gains.

So why does his car have the advantage on the highway?
    Less drivetrain loss
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

So if I do the STI turbo and TMIC...When I'm granny driving will my gas mileage go to crap...With all that power is it possible to drive it in a way to conserve fuel like I can at Stage 2?

I Support ClubWRX
    So if I do the STI turbo and TMIC...When I'm granny driving will my gas mileage go to crap...With all that power is it possible to drive it in a way to conserve fuel like I can at Stage 2?
    Yes. Get a ProTune and stay out of boost.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Wow so when the clutch goes I should replace with an OEM clutch?

Sorry for the stupidity but what do you mean by "right now, i think you'd have trouble with the MS3"
    Well, you said the MS3 was being modded, so I'd think you'd have trouble...

BTW, Your fuel mileage might go up on lazy drives. Mine did.

I would becareful on clutch selection if your going to stick with the stock 5spd tranny. On a hard launch your putting excess stress on the drivetrain. So your stock clutch gets it first and you might slip or burn (which it can recover from) the clutch, but obviously your gears aren't impacted as much, because the full load isn't getting to them. Now, say you get a street performance or racing clutch. Now your clutch won't slip, but all the load will be going straight to your gears and potentially stress them to the breaking point.

I'm not saying Stage 2 or even a STI Turbo upgrade will blow your stock 5spd, but just keep in mind that it is a potential issue. The stock WRX tranny is not considered as strong as the STI tranny.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    YOU should not do or edit anything. Leave that to someone who knows exactly what they are doing, otherwise you are risking thousands in repairs.

Oh just figured out that ms3 is mazda speed 3 haha...at stage 2 I will have trouble with beating him? A stock 07 wrx beats a stock ms3 in 0-60...?
    His car will rape you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast