Impala SS, the newer ones
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Impala SS, the newer ones within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Not the 90's models, with the Corvette engine. I'm talking recent years... Chevrolet | 2009 Impala Sedan Models LS, LT, ...

Wrinklechops

Impala SS, the newer ones

Not the 90's models, with the Corvette engine.

I'm talking recent years... Chevrolet | 2009 Impala Sedan Models LS, LT, LTZ, and Impala SS

On the highway yesterday I kept up with one, and was pretty happy with myself. I have an 05 Stage 2'd.... anyone here have any experiences with the Impala SS? I imagine they really aren't hard for us, with their big heavy V8 only putting out as much HP as a stock STi (at the crank anyways, I don't know the whp numbers).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A guy I work with has an '06 Monte Carlo SS (same engine as the Impalla SS) and we keep meaning to run them against one another but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I do know that at the Flashlight Drags last year he was beaten by a Cobalt SS Supercharged with a nitrous kit that I subsequently beat so i don't think I'd have much of a problem with him.

Course I'm not stock whereas he basically is aside from an intake so...
    "The way a press launch for a new car works is, a car manufacturer flies a group of automotive journalists to a nice location, pays their expenses, wines and dines them for several days, and lets them drive the new car all over the place. Then they go home and write objective stories."

- Dave Barry

I have driven an 06 Grand Prix GXP 5.3 V8 many times, and it is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven. 303hp paddle shifters with a really nice int. leather/suede seats Navi HUD. and the exhaust note was nice too. The torque steer is INSANE though like going clear across two lanes when you mash the gas.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    I have driven an 06 Grand Prix GXP 5.3 V8 many times, and it is one of the funnest cars I have ever driven. 303hp paddle shifters with a really nice int. leather/suede seats Navi HUD. and the exhaust note was nice too. The torque steer is INSANE though like going clear across two lanes when you mash the gas.
    Haha yea, my brother really likes the new G8 I think it is, whatever higher end sedan model Pontiac has now, with some power to it

I am really beginning to learn more and more that the power/weight ratio is really import. Sure, I may only be putting 220whp, but I weigh almost 1000lbs less than some stuff on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    Haha yea, my brother really likes the new G8 I think it is, whatever higher end sedan model Pontiac has now, with some power to it
    The G8 is a better car than the GP or the Impala just for the fact it is RWD. 303 is too much power for a FWD car IMO.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by ZACK777 View Post
    The G8 is a better car than the GP or the Impala just for the fact it is RWD. 303 is too much power for a FWD car IMO.
    Oh wow, is the newer Impala FWD? I know they've all been RWD to date, but if they went with a FWD design now, that's pathetic! lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh wow, is the newer Impala FWD? I know they've all been RWD to date, but if they went with a FWD design now, that's pathetic! lol
    Chevy hasn't produced a RWD Impala since about 1996.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Chevy hasn't produced a RWD Impala since about 1996.
    Yea, I'm just now seeing that. I thought all the 2000+ Impalas were at least RWD, especially since they offered a weak V6 engine in them.

I'm glad at least the new SS one has some power, albeit maybe not RWD. The website doesn't say.

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm glad at least the new SS one has some power, albeit maybe not RWD. The website doesn't say.
    The SS is still FWD...
    Other than the Holden cars, I can't think of a sedan in GM's lineup that is a V8 with RWD.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Wrinklechops
    The SS is still FWD...
    Other than the Holden cars, I can't think of a sedan in GM's lineup that is a V8 with RWD.
    The Corvette, the GTO (basically Holden, I know), the new Camaro, and the G8 from Pontiac... just off the top of my head

But you're right, they've really moved away from the RWD for the most part.

Oops see Edit below... lol
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 04-24-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Forgot the cars weren't sedans my bad. G8 is the only one then!

I Support ClubWRX
    The Corvette, the GTO (basically Holden, I know), the new Camaro, and the G8 from Pontiac... just off the top of my head

But you're right, they've really moved away from the RWD for the most part.

Oops see Edit below... lol
    The corvette and camaro's are not sedans...the G8 is a Holden...the GTO, a Holden...
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Wrinklechops
    The corvette and camaro's are not sedans...the G8 is a Holden...the GTO, a Holden...
    Yea, I realized the bit about the sedans, my bad. Only thing though, since Holden's parent company is GM, can't we still consider those GM products?
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 04-24-2009 at 11:09 PM.

Wrinklechops
    And what about Cadillac? I forgot they were GM. They've made plenty of RWD v6 and v8 sedans

Wrinklechops

found this out

I stand corrected... looks like the 2010 Impala SS will not be something for us to reckon with, lol!

First Impressions: Look at this, then look at your '07 Impala, then look at this, then at your '07 Impala....

2010 CHEVROLET IMPALA SS - Motor Trend The Artist's Loft Forum

2010 Will be the year Chevrolet has been waiting for. For those who await the return of a RWD Impala, your wait is over. 404 HP from Chevrolet's bulletproof 5.3 V8. Your choice of a 6sp Manual or 6sp Auto W/ Tapshift* will be available on launch. Nav, XM traffic, Bluetooth, Premium infotainment system w/ 20gig harddrive, Onstar year subscription, 20 in 10 spoke magnesium alloy wheels wrapped in Michelin PS2 tires and an aggressively tuned FE3 suspension with high performance brakes.

I Support ClubWRX
    And what about Cadillac? I forgot they were GM. They've made plenty of RWD v6 and v8 sedans
    Ah yes, Cadillac! They did begin breaking the mold a few years back, after being FWD for a number of years! Good point!
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast