Jeep SRT8 - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on Jeep SRT8 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by turbotwist do they still make the srt8 jeep anymore? I cant imagine they will anymore the way ...

Registered User DrumminAnimal73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    do they still make the srt8 jeep anymore? I cant imagine they will anymore the way things are going for jeep.
    They don't anymore. (at least for 2009) If the economy keeps going the way it is, I doubt they will make a comeback for awhile. The current trend is for most auto manufacturers to downsize their engine lineup, like Audi and BMW have, as well as Ford with their EcoBoost lineup. Can't really complain about a 6 cyl making 300+ hp with the fuel economy that they get.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    do they still make the srt8 jeep anymore? I cant imagine they will anymore the way things are going for jeep.
    They just released info on the 2010 model...expect 500 HP.

If Chrysler goes under...there are companies out there that would quickly buy up the Jeep name.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    They just released info on the 2010 model...expect 500 HP.

If Chrysler goes under...there are companies out there that would quickly buy up the Jeep name.
    Exactly. Too popular of a name, IMHO.

Found some specs on the SRT-8 and I just wanted to share. I was really impressed. My brother for example is a huge Chevy fan and hates anything that has to do the slightest bit with Dodge. He says they always have transmission trouble. Well, it looks like the SRT8 Jeep has a Mercedes Built transmission. And 12in wide tires in the rear? I just think this thing is really cool.

SRT-8

An SRT-8 (Street and Racing Technology V8) version of the Grand Cherokee debuted at the 2005 New York International Auto Show. Powered by a 420 hp (313 kW) version of the 6.1 L Hemi, it also features upgraded Brembo brakes, large dual performance exhaust with polished tips (exiting out the middle of the rear), Bilstein performance gas charged shocks and modified suspension components, Mercedes-Benz NAG1 (WA580) 5-speed transmission, unique NV146 transfer case, specially designed electronic all-wheel-drive system and interior and exterior updates. A drive shaft from a diesel application, fortified Dana 44 rear differential, and 12" wide Goodyear tires in the rear (11" in the front) complement the performance package.

The sports tuned suspension allows the Jeep SRT8 to hold 0.92g on the skid-pad, putting the 4,700 lb (2,100 kg) truck on par with the Porsche 911 Turbo (997), which holds just 0.04g more (0.96g) on the skid-pad. A road test of the 2006 model by Road & Track magazine yielded a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.6 seconds and a quarter mile dragstrip of 13.2 seconds at 104.1 miles per hour (167.5 km/h). Such numbers made the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee the fastest accelerating vehicle within the SRT8 lineup (which at the time included the Chrysler 300C, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger and the now-discontinued Dodge Magnum), and second only to the SRT10 Viper among all SRT tuned vehicles. There is no electronic speed governor employed, leaving the top speed rev-limited (revving to redline in top gear) to just shy of 170 mph (270 km/h). To achieve superior on-road handling, off-road gear has been removed to make the SRT-8 lighter. The SRT-8 has no low range case and no limited slip or locking differentials. Its ride stance is significantly lower and the front fascia spoiler gives the vehicle 7 inches (178 mm) of ground clearance. The Grand Cherokee SRT-8 was the first SRT vehicle to wear the Jeep emblem.
    The Jeep SRT8 drive-line stayed the same from the 2006 to 2009 model years.

Hennessey SRT600

The Jeep SRT8 upgrade by Hennessey Performance Engineering (HPE) out-accelerates a stock Dodge Viper by more than a car length at 60 mph (0-to-60 mph in 3.4 seconds, 1.4 seconds quicker than stock) and beats the SRT10 Viper in the quarter mile. With a turbocharged 6.1 L Hemi V8 inside, the exterior modifications consist of a few SRT600 badges and optional 20x10.5-inch forged-aluminum wheels wrapped in grippy Michelin Pilot Sport 2 295/30ZR20 tires.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 04-15-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffusillybare View Post
    TBH i dont think your 2.0 is faster. But we prolly wont ever find out so I didnt bother.
    I'm dead even with a stage 2 sti with an external waste gate and pro tune. Just from me seeing the difference from a cobb ots map and an xpt tune then add on top of it he's running an external wg I'd say it's safe to say I have you with your basic bolt ons and your ots map. Also dead even with a vf 34'd 00' legacy with a wrx swap putting down 300 whp. That is why I'd be pretty confident in saying that. Get yourself a better tune and it would be a totally different story.

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    Exactly. Too popular of a name, IMHO.

Found some specs on the SRT-8 and I just wanted to share. I was really impressed. My brother for example is a huge Chevy fan and hates anything that has to do the slightest bit with Dodge. He says they always have transmission trouble. Well, it looks like the SRT8 Jeep has a Mercedes Built transmission. And 12in wide tires in the rear? I just think this thing is really cool.

SRT-8

An SRT-8 (Street and Racing Technology V8) version of the Grand Cherokee debuted at the 2005 New York International Auto Show. Powered by a 420 hp (313 kW) version of the 6.1 L Hemi, it also features upgraded Brembo brakes, large dual performance exhaust with polished tips (exiting out the middle of the rear), Bilstein performance gas charged shocks and modified suspension components, Mercedes-Benz NAG1 (WA580) 5-speed transmission, unique NV146 transfer case, specially designed electronic all-wheel-drive system and interior and exterior updates. A drive shaft from a diesel application, fortified Dana 44 rear differential, and 12" wide Goodyear tires in the rear (11" in the front) complement the performance package.

The sports tuned suspension allows the Jeep SRT8 to hold 0.92g on the skid-pad, putting the 4,700 lb (2,100 kg) truck on par with the Porsche 911 Turbo (997), which holds just 0.04g more (0.96g) on the skid-pad. A road test of the 2006 model by Road & Track magazine yielded a 0 to 60 mph time of 4.6 seconds and a quarter mile dragstrip of 13.2 seconds at 104.1 miles per hour (167.5 km/h). Such numbers made the SRT-8 Grand Cherokee the fastest accelerating vehicle within the SRT8 lineup (which at the time included the Chrysler 300C, Dodge Charger, Dodge Challenger and the now-discontinued Dodge Magnum), and second only to the SRT10 Viper among all SRT tuned vehicles. There is no electronic speed governor employed, leaving the top speed rev-limited (revving to redline in top gear) to just shy of 170 mph (270 km/h). To achieve superior on-road handling, off-road gear has been removed to make the SRT-8 lighter. The SRT-8 has no low range case and no limited slip or locking differentials. Its ride stance is significantly lower and the front fascia spoiler gives the vehicle 7 inches (178 mm) of ground clearance. The Grand Cherokee SRT-8 was the first SRT vehicle to wear the Jeep emblem.
    The Jeep SRT8 drive-line stayed the same from the 2006 to 2009 model years.

Hennessey SRT600

The Jeep SRT8 upgrade by Hennessey Performance Engineering (HPE) out-accelerates a stock Dodge Viper by more than a car length at 60 mph (0-to-60 mph in 3.4 seconds, 1.4 seconds quicker than stock) and beats the SRT10 Viper in the quarter mile. With a turbocharged 6.1 L Hemi V8 inside, the exterior modifications consist of a few SRT600 badges and optional 20x10.5-inch forged-aluminum wheels wrapped in grippy Michelin Pilot Sport 2 295/30ZR20 tires.
    This is old news. Why do you think it was Daimler Chrysler? Most of them with in that huge boom of decent cars they had were half Mercedes. Helped them in the styling department too. I'm pretty sure Daimler split off from Chrysler again.

Wrinklechops
    2.0, did you like the XPT vs Cobb?

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by 2.0Rs View Post
    This is old news. Why do you think it was Daimler Chrysler? Most of them with in that huge boom of decent cars they had were half Mercedes. Helped them in the styling department too. I'm pretty sure Daimler split off from Chrysler again.
    I never said it was NEW news just figured I'd throw some specs into this thread. Mercedes transmissions have not always been in Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep products... and giving the history of those vehicles' transmission failures, I'd say it was/is an improvement that the SRT8 Jeep has a strong, German built tranny.

I'm dead even with a stage 2 sti with an external waste gate and pro tune. Just from me seeing the difference from a cobb ots map and an xpt tune then add on top of it he's running an external wg I'd say it's safe to say I have you with your basic bolt ons and your ots map. Also dead even with a vf 34'd 00' legacy with a wrx swap putting down 300 whp. That is why I'd be pretty confident in saying that. Get yourself a better tune and it would be a totally different story.
    Well I was waiting till I bought the APS CAI to get the car protuned, now its just a matter of $$$ and time. Still I wouldnt be so confident unless you've actually run your car up against someone with a similar set up. My car is far from slow and I doubt yours is either but Im pretty confident your 2.0 isnt making the same whp/wtq numbers as my car. My torque curve is gonna be much nicer then yours. When I go to the College park spring meet i'll try n get some nice dyno pulls in for ya to compare.
    2006 AW STi

2.0, did you like the XPT vs Cobb?
    Yes, best mod I ever did. from 20-90 with my cobb stage 2 set up I was hitting 8.9 seconds. After the flash I only added an up pipe and a gm boost solenoid and I was hitting 7.4 seconds. That's a good 1.5 second gain. Well worth it. Not to mention it's a lot more smooth. That night I raced my two friends I had another friend in my car who knew how hard it used to pull. I asked him if it felt slower since the tune and he agreed with me. It obviously wasn't if I was even with the other guys. The tune itself is just that smooth. Worth the $70 bucks for the map. Not to mention you sell your cobb ap. If it's a V2 you can easily get $450 for it. That's money in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffusillybare View Post
    Well I was waiting till I bought the APS CAI to get the car protuned, now its just a matter of $$$ and time. Still I wouldnt be so confident unless you've actually run your car up against someone with a similar set up. My car is far from slow and I doubt yours is either but Im pretty confident your 2.0 isnt making the same whp/wtq numbers as my car. My torque curve is gonna be much nicer then yours. When I go to the College park spring meet i'll try n get some nice dyno pulls in for ya to compare.
    You don't really need a protune. Like I was just saying an xpt tune is a great map and a lot cheaper. You can keep that map or run that map till you get a protune. I've heard there isn't that much really left on the table while still keeping it reliable.

I'm curious as to understand what you mean by someone with a similar set up? That sti is making more hp and tq then a cobb stage 2 sti will make. I'm not sure what my tq numbers would be but I should be around 250 whp give or take a little. You will be putting down more hp then me. The reason I can keep up with these cars is my car weighs 2750 lbs. I'm a good 500-600 lbs lighter. The legacy is putting down less hp then the sti but he is a little lighter then the sti. Not near as light as me but 100 or so lbs. Weight is a HUGE thing.

Wrinklechops
    The reason I can keep up with these cars is my car weighs 2750 lbs. I'm a good 500-600 lbs lighter. The legacy is putting down less hp then the sti but he is a little lighter then the sti. Not near as light as me but 100 or so lbs. Weight is a HUGE thing.
    Not that I doubt you, I was just curious if you could provide us where you got your weight data from? I know weight is just as important of a factor, I just want to know how your 2.0 weighs 300lbs less than my 2.0 lol

You should take your car to one of those trucker weigh stations, or anywhere they do weighing and get a print out. I think it only cost me like $5 or $10 when I did it a long time ago...

You don't really need a protune. Like I was just saying an xpt tune is a great map and a lot cheaper. You can keep that map or run that map till you get a protune. I've heard there isn't that much really left on the table while still keeping it reliable. .
    protune is always better and gets more power than anything cobb has to offer, and im sure xpt as well

i raced one from a dig a few months ago. he spun the tires and i launched and hooked real good. had him till about 50 then i didnt stand a chance and i backed off at about 60. im stage 2 and the SRT 8 looked stock
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

300lbs of weight isnt gonna make up for 100whp/wtq difference
    2006 AW STi

Not that I doubt you, I was just curious if you could provide us where you got your weight data from? I know weight is just as important of a factor, I just want to know how your 2.0 weighs 300lbs less than my 2.0 lol

You should take your car to one of those trucker weigh stations, or anywhere they do weighing and get a print out. I think it only cost me like $5 or $10 when I did it a long time ago...
    Well if you couldn't figure it out from my name. 2.0 RS or even from looking at my profile, or looking at the picture of my avitar where there is a 2.5 Rs in it, I have a swapped Rs. Curb weight on them is 2850 or so. I am not running any ac and also cut out useless wiring and airbags in my car. I dropped 100 lbs. I figured it was pretty easy to figure it out.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast