So I drove an EVO VIII yesterday...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on So I drove an EVO VIII yesterday... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I work for a large car dealership here in Southern Oregon, and my buddy who sells cars let me know ...

Registered User DrumminAnimal73's Avatar

So I drove an EVO VIII yesterday...

I work for a large car dealership here in Southern Oregon, and my buddy who sells cars let me know they got a 2003 Evo VIII in on trade. I decided to drop by to see exactly what I may be up against should I pull up beside one on the drag strip. All I have to say is

That car only had 18,000 miles, was in immaculate condition, and it felt like a 2.5rs. I'm stage 0 on my WRX TR, and my car felt (and was) a whole lot faster. My buddy was scared, he's never been in a AWD Rally-Style car before, so he was white-knuckling it the whole time.

I guess the whole point is, I was expecting far more. I'm glad I made the purchase I did.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

same i wasnt impressed with my buddys evo, i believe it was an 8 but not totally sure. i would like to get my hands on an evo 10 to test drive just for sh*** and giggles
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

i test drove an evo 8 and man i was blown away but then again it was the first awd, turbo car I personally every drove, but that was years ago....now i walk them out all day....

Iv'e driven an EVO VIII and a EVO X. The VIII was quick from what I remember but that was about 4 years ago, and it was my first sport compact experience. I drove the X just a couple of weeks ago, wasn't impressed with the 5 speed. Clutch felt weird but that's probally cause I'm used to my car. Also didn't really get on it just because it was a friend of a friend's car.

no doubt, there is alot of competitive evos out there hunting stock subies... Im curious myself to drive the enemy.
    08 WRX Sedan
    the WRX is back! 340whp 366 tq @22psi

You sure it wasn't a base lancer? Or some half-assed together ex-heavily modified car that someone got tired of, dropped back to stock and traded in that's only running wastegate on bad compression.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    You sure it wasn't a base lancer? Or some half-assed together ex-heavily modified car that someone got tired of, dropped back to stock and traded in that's only running wastegate on bad compression.
    i think they make an OZ rally or something that is just a lightly modified lancer, but it looks like an Evo
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by Black X Dahlia View Post
    i think they make an OZ rally or something that is just a lightly modified lancer, but it looks like an Evo
    Lancer Ralliart? its just a lancer with 237 hp turbo engine and suspension. I think its pretty much on-par with the WRX
    08 WRX Sedan

[QUOTE=BrianH;2444262]You sure it wasn't a base lancer?

No disrespect but if you can't tell the difference between a Lancer and an EVO there is something wrong.

My brother got a new Evo IX a while back...

It's a sweet ride.
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Slightly Modded & Driven Daily

no doubt they're sick rides but we're a subaru bunch here
    08 WRX Sedan

There's a guy in Ashland with an EVO X. Has a CBE, intake, and a tune... Get this, the EVO X was running 9.5:1 AFR stock! It's certainly a sick beast, putting out 320 whp and similar torque...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxloaf08 View Post
    Lancer Ralliart? its just a lancer with 237 hp turbo engine and suspension. I think its pretty much on-par with the WRX
    The new one, yes. The OZ Rally would have been the only "in-between" model available during the era being discussed. It was basically just a sticker and wheel option, though, as far as I know. Not comparable to a WRX.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Registered User DrumminAnimal73's Avatar
    No, i'm positive it's the EVO-8. I had the VIN report in my hand. The car just felt weak in comparison.. also, the car sounded more like it had a supercharger in it rather than a turbo, which I thought was kind of odd..

It still was good to know exactly what I would be driving had I decided on an EVO rather than a WRX. I think the car feels cheaper than the WRX. Interior quality is sub-par, even to a WRX TR standards.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumminAnimal73 View Post
    No, i'm positive it's the EVO-8. I had the VIN report in my hand. The car just felt weak in comparison.. also, the car sounded more like it had a supercharger in it rather than a turbo, which I thought was kind of odd..

It still was good to know exactly what I would be driving had I decided on an EVO rather than a WRX. I think the car feels cheaper than the WRX. Interior quality is sub-par, even to a WRX TR standards.
    Which dealership? I'm going to check it out as soon as you respond and I'll let you know what's up and up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.