So I drove an EVO VIII yesterday... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on So I drove an EVO VIII yesterday... within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A puny 2.0L EVO 8 will walk any 2.5L stock wrx any day....

A puny 2.0L EVO 8 will walk any 2.5L stock wrx any day.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cavallino333
    ;2446123
    Clamf!
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 04-06-2009 at 05:32 PM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

And guys another thing, Its not all the car its the driver too. Im beating mustangs with 500hp at my local track and I walked 2 evo X's this past weekend.
    I have some minor work done to my car. IHI VF22 turbo, APS intercooler and complete custom equal length headers, and new 6 speed WRX upgrade tranny COBB stage 2 remap. 318whp.

When I get some coin, I'll ask if I can take it for a long test drive, I'll put some premium in it and see if it likes it better.

The sales guy stated to me that the car only has 12-14k on it, even if it was heavily modded and beaten on, I doubt it toasted the engine that quick... Though, a crap tune would break something, but I doubt that that would be something that a dealership could hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    When I get some coin, I'll ask if I can take it for a long test drive, I'll put some premium in it and see if it likes it better.

The sales guy stated to me that the car only has 12-14k on it, even if it was heavily modded and beaten on, I doubt it toasted the engine that quick... Though, a crap tune would break something, but I doubt that that would be something that a dealership could hide.

It probably wouldn't be a case of the engine, but more a case of shoddy workmanship in putting the car back together.
    IE: boost leak at any of the various couplers, stock boost control put back in without the pill so its not running stock boost or even running wastegate etc... There's no telling what's done when someone decides they don't want a car anymore and take it to a dealership.

If you're looking at it, be happy a compression test is quicker than just bringing it up to temp.

I'm sure its not running at 19lb stock boost. there has to be a boost leak. I would have to agree the inside is kinda cheap besides the Recaros, but it sure does makes up for it in the handling dept.

C.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

Quote Originally Posted by 1trackmind View Post
    I'm sure its not running at 19lb stock boost. there has to be a boost leak. I would have to agree the inside is kinda cheap besides the Recaros, but it sure does makes up for it in the handling dept.

C.
    I agree that the inside is plain.

Did you mean you are giving the evo a C overall?

If you are, then what car would be an A?
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

Also keep in mind that the 2003 models had the 9.8 hotside on the turbo and well....it's just generally slower than the Evo 9.

And someone else said the IX MR was the Evo to own. I will have to disagree with that. I actually owned a IX MR and I LOVED it. But as far as I'm aware it's plagued by transmission problems with the 6spd in certain situations.

I would say the IX SE was the Evo to have.
    THIS IS CAKE TOWN!!

The lack of knowledge in this thread makes me want to cry... really shows how uninformed some people really are.

To the op, I dont know what you drove but a stock Evo VIII would romp on your TR pretty much all day at the track if we're talking stock for stock. In addition mod for mod the evo is gonna see ridiculously larger power gains.

"i think they make an OZ rally or something that is just a lightly modified lancer, but it looks like an Evo"

It is a lancer, their is nothing performance wise modified about this car. Unless you consider side skirts modified.

"Lancer Ralliart? its just a lancer with 237 hp turbo engine and suspension. I think its pretty much on-par with the WRX"

No he means, the OZ rally edition. The Lancer ralliart is brand new car, why would he confuse a brand new car with a 5 year old car?
    2006 AW STi

Quote Originally Posted by 1trackmind View Post

C.
    If the dude from the stealership ever calls me back, I will check it out. But, running 87 in my WRX results in 7 PSI (oh **** no boost mode) and timing retard to save the engine... I know because I drove it from Portland to Medford on regular, and it had issues going up parts of I5. I'm sure the Evo is just the same, the EBC goes 'limp' (I'm taking some liberties with technical terms here) and the wastegate is operated at spring pressure and not 19 PSI.

If it was just thrown back to stock in a hurried manner and there is a boost leak, that's not a big deal. Why? 1) Because it's taking FREAKING FOREVER to get through Lithia Nissan's shop, they probably found the shoddy job and are fixing it already... 2) If Nissan isn't fixing it, I could, provided it doesn't require me to buy a new FMIC, or do any body work (I'll post pics tomorrow, but this car really looks like it only has 12 or 14k on it like the sales d00d claimed) fix it myself. Well, that's also provided that it doesn't require me to install another UP and manifold in my WRX, which was a major pain of a job... But that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Just curious...what does this mean? It sounds like your car is inside of another car.
    haha sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    Which dealership? I'm going to check it out as soon as you respond and I'll let you know what's up and up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laffusillybare View Post
    The lack of knowledge in this thread makes me want to cry... really shows how uninformed some people really are.

To the op, I dont know what you drove but a stock Evo VIII would romp on your TR pretty much all day at the track if we're talking stock for stock. In addition mod for mod the evo is gonna see ridiculously larger power gains.

"i think they make an OZ rally or something that is just a lightly modified lancer, but it looks like an Evo"

It is a lancer, their is nothing performance wise modified about this car. Unless you consider side skirts modified.

"Lancer Ralliart? its just a lancer with 237 hp turbo engine and suspension. I think its pretty much on-par with the WRX"

No he means, the OZ rally edition. The Lancer ralliart is brand new car, why would he confuse a brand new car with a 5 year old car?
    The ralli art isn't a new car. My sister has one from 04 or 05. It was the first mitsubishi to feature a mivec engine that wasn't an evo. It looked like a lancer with an aero package(not resembling an evo at all) and featured a 2.4 liter mivec engine that put down like 170hp ish at the flywheel. Nothing special. RalliArt to mitsubishi is like nismo to nissan. It's their performance division. So their "not quite an evo" car has taken the ralliart name just like every other underpowered "performance oriented" mitsu thats not an evo. The OZ lancer is just a third party edition like the bullit mustang for example.

Not to be an a** but before you say that people are misinformed you should probably get your facts straight. Not to mention this is a subaru forum, we're not supposed to be mitsubishi experts.

oh and just throwing this out there, the 4B11 engine in the evo x is pretty much the same engine in the hyundai genesis coupe. They have a partnership between chrysler, hyundai, and mitsubishi. Obviously it's mounted in a rwd configuration. So technically the genesis should be faster than the evo considering less drive train loss. aside from not being awd i think this is hyundai trying to steal some would be subie owners away with their 2.0 turbo and steal some would be 350/370z owners away with their bigger 6cyl....just some food for thought.
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold
    02 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twitchit View Post
    The ralli art isn't a new car. My sister has one from 04 or 05. It was the first mitsubishi to feature a mivec engine that wasn't an evo. It looked like a lancer with an aero package(not resembling an evo at all) and featured a 2.4 liter mivec engine that put down like 170hp ish at the flywheel.
    More like 162hp/162tq, if I remember my numbers correctly from when that model was released in '04. I'm sure that it was a perfectly fine car, and even fun in its own way, but certainly not in the same category as the cars being discussed here. (Not AWD, no turbocharger, much less power, etc..)

The new Ralliart keeps the same name, but is a completely different car, mechanically, from its predecessor. That's what's being said, and it's true. So go easy on your accusations of ignorance.

I'll readily admit that I am no Mitsu expert. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 04-08-2009 at 09:08 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

92X
    There was something wrong with the EVO you drove. An EVO VIII feels like a Caterham compared to a stock WRX... The EVO you drove was not a fair representation of an exceptional car.

Did you accidentally drive it like a stock WRX and shift at 4k to keep it in boost
    06 AW WRX, VF39, CSS, TXS, Helix DNA, RPF1.
    Low, slow and loud.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.