02-07 WRX v. 09 WRX "Premium"?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02-07 WRX v. 09 WRX "Premium"? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Anyone get a chance yet to race any of the newer WRXs? And whats with the "Premium" WRX? Looks no ...

Wrinklechops

02-07 WRX v. 09 WRX "Premium"?

Anyone get a chance yet to race any of the newer WRXs? And whats with the "Premium" WRX? Looks no different than the base model WRX...well, I guess they have the 5 door option available, for more $... but besides the fact that the new body style is really ugly to me, what's so special about the newer WRXs? EJ25 engine, no td04 turbo I'm assuming? Or, maybe it's just like the 06-07 WRXs, with the 2.5 but they increased the boost like 2-3psi and got another 30hp out of it.

Either way, anyone get a chance to run with any of these guys? On the highway yesterday, one of the newer looking 5 door "Premium"s was trying to pass me, but I don't think the person really was trying to race or even knew how to drive in the first place actually. I'm guessing an 02-05 Stage 2 and an 06-07 Stage 1 could easily beat the new WRXs, what do you guys think?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The information about the differences between the '08 and '09 WRX are readily available and easy to find.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    The information about the differences between the '08 and '09 WRX are readily available and easy to find.
    My question wasn't about the differences between the 08 and 09 model...I'm not stupid and I can look that up if I want. I was just trying to spark a discussion...

I Support ClubWRX
    Different turbo, stiffer suspension, other tweaks to make the '09 a more performance-centric WRX than the '08.

A "premium package" trim level has been available on the WRX since at least 2002. Just an options package, as with any car you buy. No difference in performance that I am aware of.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Wrinklechops
    Thanks Rayfields...

Now, has anyone ever run with any of these new WRXs? They claim 265hp....

I haven't "run with them" yet, but it appears that the 265hp is substantiated by dyno data, this is only for the '09 model, of course. Stock for stock they are quicker than any previous model WRX.
    Follow the goddamn prompts!!!!! - Tech Support

'06 WRX TR Aspen White - SOLD
    '96 Mazda Miata - Current Toy

Former Hawk-Eye Alliance #034

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by jmp2006 View Post
    I haven't "run with them" yet, but it appears that the 265hp is substantiated by dyno data, this is only for the '09 model, of course. Stock for stock they are quicker than any previous model WRX.
    Yea, I'm reading on Wikipedia... that the 09 WRX is pretty much a STi on a diet. Same 2.5 engine, some stiffer suspension from the STi, etc... but I can't find much info on the turbo... Either it's the same turbo used in the STi and WRX for 09 and the WRX has less PSI, or the STi has a bigger and better turbo...

Either way, 265 at the crank, probably 200 at the wheels... a Stage 1 2005 WRX (mine) could take that probably

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    Yea, I'm reading on Wikipedia... that the 09 WRX is pretty much a STi on a diet. Same 2.5 engine, some stiffer suspension from the STi, etc... but I can't find much info on the turbo... Either it's the same turbo used in the STi and WRX for 09 and the WRX has less PSI, or the STi has a bigger and better turbo...

Either way, 265 at the crank, probably 200 at the wheels... a Stage 1 2005 WRX (mine) could take that probably
    *sigh*

haha seriously? the 09 turbo is a vf52, which is an sti turbo with a different housing basically. and no your stage 1 05 couldnt take it. your stage 1 05 couldn't take a stage 1 08.

from what ive heard the 09 is probably one of the best wrx's to buy performance wise. i am still not super excited about the new body style but i like what there doing otherwise. my buddy has an 08 stock so next time i see him will see how it performs against my 02. i allready like his more though because mine is a auto. well i got off topic but yeah i heard the 09 is probably the best bang for your buck for performance
    eric

bugeye mafia #207

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtoce View Post
    haha seriously? the 09 turbo is a vf52, which is an sti turbo with a different housing basically. and no your stage 1 05 couldnt take it. your stage 1 05 couldn't take a stage 1 08.
    Why not? I've got a little less weight, and at Stage 1 I'd be pumping 200+ at the wheels and a stock 09 should be like 210 at the wheels maybe. Stage 2 definitely.

STi turbo with a different housing? What do you mean different housing?

Stock these things are hitting 13.5 in the 1/4. Compare that to the 06-07 which is in the 13.9-13.7 range. The 02-05 was slightly slower than that. The 09 WRX will no doubt beat any previous gen WRX stock for stock. I think the only stage 1 that might have a chance is a 06-07 but even that probably wouldn't be enough. Sure a stage 2 02-07 could hang with a stock 09 but now you are comparing a modded car to a stock car. Put stage 2 on the 09 WRX and it will crush the stage 2 previous gen WRX. The 09 WRX is legit and should not be doubted. Compared to the previous gens the 09 WRX is far superior in performance. Now personally I think were it loses is in styling. Talk about a boring looking car. Take out the hood scoop and it looks far too similar to a Carolla XRS.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Why not? I've got a little less weight, and at Stage 1 I'd be pumping 200+ at the wheels and a stock 09 should be like 210 at the wheels maybe. Stage 2 definitely.
    Uh ya, you realize that stock '09 WRX are putting down as much torque than you'd make with a Vf39 setup.... And running the same times that STIs are.

Stage 2 maybe. Stage 1, not even close.

09 wrx dyno - AOL Video
    Last edited by brfatal; 03-22-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added video.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Uh ya, you realize that stock '09 WRX are putting down as much torque than you'd make with a Vf39 setup.... And running the same times that STIs are.

Stage 2 maybe. Stage 1, not even close.

09 wrx dyno - AOL Video
    Holy ****, 272 torque STOCK? at the wheels?!?!?! Subaru only claims 244 stock.... hmm
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 03-22-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Wrinklechops
    That's it, I'm trading in for an '09. I mean FAAAAACK two years ago I spent $23k on my used '05, and now that same $ would get you an '09 probably....ugh

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.