03 WRX vs Z06 2007

This is a discussion on 03 WRX vs Z06 2007 within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A friend of mine just got his Z06 from the united states and wanted to know how fast his car ...

03 WRX vs Z06 2007

A friend of mine just got his Z06 from the united states and wanted to know how fast his car is before trying with a stranger. I have a completely stock 03 bugeye us spec also. We are from South america PARAGUAY. So the first race was in first gear. He got a head start and by the time i got to fourth he was like 4 car lenghs infront of me. The tried 2 more time with similiar results.. that car is ***** fast. Then we tried from a stop he got a head start since i just followed his lead. I dropt the clutch at around 4-5k and got a nice 1 cl ahead of him. by the end of second I believe he was just getting into 2nd gear and just flew by me like as if i pulled my parking brake. Got an 05 Sti on the way now and im going to go stage 2 and then try from a stop and see how long can i stand ahead.Then raced a first gen JDM WRX and got 1 cl ahead of him everytime. So just wanted to share. I think its my first thread. ! (Im sorry if its a little confusing. but english not my first language)
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 03-11-2009 at 06:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Suby vs Z

Great report!

My Rex is pretty fast and fares well against most cars I meet, but the C6 series of Z06s are really racing cars in street guise. I dont think they should even call the new ones Corvettes.
    95 ERA Cobra - 396ci SVO block blown and injected
    04 WRX WRB - Stage 4 - 298whp on a Mustang Dyno - FOR SALE
    06 Legacy GT - Soon to be Stage 2
    07 Legacy Wagon 3.0R
    08 C6 Z06 427.ci, 505hp

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    Great report!

My Rex is pretty fast and fares well against most cars I meet, but the C6 series of Z06s are really racing cars in street guise. I dont think they should even call the new ones Corvettes.
    the z06, is truely just a high horsepower street car.. now the ZR1 is truley a race car in street look form, just as the GT-R is. now the V-Spec will be insane. making the ZR1 look like childs play lol.

but the wrx is no match for a Z06... stage 2 sti will be a better race, but if he can drive. you will lose... sorry its just 2wd with more power compared to awd with less power...
    SPONSORS for Rally:AMSOIL, Livewire Energy, Six-feet deep clothing, ARS(Aluminum Rapid Shelters), and FatHeads Eyewear.

Absolutely

The ZR1 is kind of a let down to me. They didnt use the LS7 plant, instead they used the older 6 liter. The price tag is a bit steep for a chevy also (IMHO).

Yes, the Z06 is no comparison. The Z06 in stock trim has:
    carbon fiber fenders,
    All aluminum 427.8 ci V8 making 505hp
    Forged crank
    Titanium rods
    Dry sump oiling system
    aluminum and magnesium frame
    massive brakes
    massive tires (Goodyear 335-35x18 F1 Supercar rears)
    3200lbs (less than an Sti)
    198mph top speed
    low 12's in the quarter mile
    Active suspension and traction control
    Its even one of the only cars that actually has muffler bearings - no lie!

The thing is predatory!
    07 Legacy Wagon 3.0R
    08 C6 Z06 427.ci, 505hp

Quote Originally Posted by wrxisthebest View Post
    the z06, is truely just a high horsepower street car.. now the ZR1 is truley a race car in street look form, just as the GT-R is. now the V-Spec will be insane. making the ZR1 look like childs play lol.

but the wrx is no match for a Z06... stage 2 sti will be a better race, but if he can drive. you will lose... sorry its just 2wd with more power compared to awd with less power...

the worst thing is that he is actually a bad driver. But there was nothing I could do. Ive got a video but its at the end of of the first race when he got a head start, and i was just braking when he passes by at full throttle. There was no point trying to catch up lol

I Support ClubWRX
    The ZR-1 is expensive for sure...but an outstanding car as reported by anyone who's driven one. It keeps up with, or nearly keeps up with, exotics costing 3 times as much. (The Ferrari 599 comes to mind)

Engine choice is always interesting to debate. I can very well see how someone would love the big-block approach; nothing sounds or pulls quite like a Chevy 427. But Chevy seems to have pulled out some awesome numbers with the blown 6.2 liter, and built a car around it that can be driven to the grocery store without effort. There may be valid reasons why Chevy didn't want to use the 427 for the platform for this car. I've worked for an engineering firm for nearly 20 years...there are always issues and complications that people outside don't see and can't appreciate.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by maurim3 View Post
    A friend of mine just got his Z06 from the united states and wanted to know how fast his car is before trying with a stranger. I have a completely stock 03 bugeye us spec also. We are from South america PARAGUAY. So the first race was in first gear. He got a head start and by the time i got to fourth he was like 4 car lenghs infront of me. The tried 2 more time with similiar results.. that car is ***** fast. Then we tried from a stop he got a head start since i just followed his lead. I dropt the clutch at around 4-5k and got a nice 1 cl ahead of him. by the end of second I believe he was just getting into 2nd gear and just flew by me like as if i pulled my parking brake. Got an 05 Sti on the way now and im going to go stage 2 and then try from a stop and see how long can i stand ahead.Then raced a first gen JDM WRX and got 1 cl ahead of him everytime. So just wanted to share. I think its my first thread. ! (Im sorry if its a little confusing. but english not my first language)
    i just wanted to point out that you speak better english than some americans i know but i have always had a heart for corvettes, RWD cars fail in a place where it snows a total of 30 ft year at least...

Quote Originally Posted by WrXxy View Post
    i just wanted to point out that you speak better english than some americans i know but i have always had a heart for corvettes, RWD cars fail in a place where it snows a total of 30 ft year at least...

hahaha thanks for pointing it out !

Z06

The C6 Z06's 7 liter LS7 engine is a small block and isnt related to the LS7 of old, which was a big block. Naming this engine "LS7" seemed kind of warped considering they already used the moniker on the old iron big block.

The highest horsepower ZR1 to date pales in comparison to mild supercharged LS7 as far as horsepower is concerned. My initial impression was that GM was saving the LS7 for future versions of the ZR1; afterall the greatest thing today is surpassed in the next few years.

The Z06 is based on the five time Le Mans winning Vette, the C6R.

The ZR1 does have very trick brakes. I personally dont care for the gadgetry such as the active suspension and ABS. I have removed the active suspension and intend to remove the ABS from my Z06. I have already trimmed the car down to 2900 lbs and I am still working on her.

I too have a design engineering background and took an early retirement five years ago. Now I consult and tinker with my toys.
    07 Legacy Wagon 3.0R
    08 C6 Z06 427.ci, 505hp

When you do things right people wont be sure you've done anything at all.

Crabcakes and football thats what Maryland does.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    The C6 Z06's 7 liter LS7 engine is a small block and isnt related to the LS7 of old, which was a big block.
    Interesting! Wasn't aware that the newer 427 is a sb.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

BTW, what RPM range would a Z06 be at, in 1st gear from a 50MPH roll? and what is redline for Z06?
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Z06 redlines at 7K

AFAIK 1'st ends just over 60mph so you'd probably be in the lower - mid 6K RPM range.

So a 50mph roll in 1st would be fine, then.

I only ask because I can't see doing a 1st gear roll in either of my cars at 50-60.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)