My 04 GTP VS. WRX

This is a discussion on My 04 GTP VS. WRX within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I have been in the market for an 09 WRX, and learned a little more about AWD yesterday. I got ...

My 04 GTP VS. WRX

I have been in the market for an 09 WRX, and learned a little more about AWD yesterday. I got a couple of roll races against a newer model bugeye WRX, that appeared to be mostly stock. I have an 04 Grand Prix GTP, w/ the only mod being a DIY fender well intake that really makes the SC scream! Anyway, we went from about a 20mph roll the first time and I spun most of the way through 1st. He had me by about 1/2 car by second gear and I was slowly coming back when we had to slow down for traffic. The next run was from only about 10mph, and my front end was all over the place with wheel spin and torque steer. He had me by about a car when we shut down at about 55-60mph. Needless to say AWD was the big difference in these races, and really showed me what I am missing. My car ran a 14.5 stock w/ nearly bald tires, so I would assume that I should beat a stock WRX from a roll if I hook.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

get the 09, I use to work at Subaru they are awesome, you wont be disappointed as alot of people who came in and test drove 08's and were like yeah i would prefer the sti, or an evo. My friend has an evo IX and has problems with it, i honestly think subaru is a much better product. Sounds bias but same dealership sold nissans and other cars as well. The acceleration is much better, and suspension is a little stiffer.Youll be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by 09WRXShopper View Post
    I have been in the market for an 09 WRX, and learned a little more about AWD yesterday. I got a couple of roll races against a newer model bugeye WRX, that appeared to be mostly stock. I have an 04 Grand Prix GTP, w/ the only mod being a DIY fender well intake that really makes the SC scream! Anyway, we went from about a 20mph roll the first time and I spun most of the way through 1st. He had me by about 1/2 car by second gear and I was slowly coming back when we had to slow down for traffic. The next run was from only about 10mph, and my front end was all over the place with wheel spin and torque steer. He had me by about a car when we shut down at about 55-60mph. Needless to say AWD was the big difference in these races, and really showed me what I am missing. My car ran a 14.5 stock w/ nearly bald tires, so I would assume that I should beat a stock WRX from a roll if I hook.

My bugeye looks mostly stock too.

Quote Originally Posted by automobile.com

Pontiacs Grand Prix advertising is making the most out of the GTPs almost overwhelming supercharged V6, a 3.8-L unit producing 260-hp at 5,400 rpm and 280 lb-ft of torque at 3,600 rpm. Thats a ton of power, even after factoring in its healthy 3,583 pound curb weight, resulting in a sub-7 second zero to 60 mph sprint - that is if you
    The 2004 Grand Prix GTP has an eye-catching design and an overall aura of aggression. (Photo: Shawn Pisio, American Auto Press)
    can lock up the front wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by automobile.com
    Quote Originally Posted by motortrend.com

Who would've imagined a funky little Japanese wagon with puppy-dog eyes and a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine could reach 60 mph in just 5.8 seconds and trip the quarter-mile timing lights at over 93 mph in 14.44 seconds? Running through our 600-foot slalom at 63 mph (as fast as German sport sedans and sports cars costing at least twice as much) was just icing on the cake: We were in the driver's seat of a super sleeper in a world unprepared for it--like finding a secret factory prototype never meant for public consumption. We began a running tally of F-body slack jaws and even toyed with the idea of putting musclecar stickers on the door. One editor wrote, "Perhaps the best thing about the WRX is that most people on the road don't know what it is--or how fast it is.

3165lbs
    Quote Originally Posted by motortrend.com
    Granted that's a review from 2002 and immediately after everyone started raising power output. But these cars started out as sleepers, and even modded are still capable of flying under the radar(wingless and debadged with a borla hush exhaust they can sneak up on people).

Your car has around 400 lbs more weight to move. You might be closer from a roll, then again, maybe not.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Wrinklechops
    Yea, my buddy has a GTP, but I forget which year it is. All I know is he has a software upgrade and that's about it...but it hauls ass.... for an automatic.... lol

I bet with a Stage 1 upgrade I could toast him

GTPs can be very fast for not a lot of money. Its just a matter of adding some supporting mods so you can drop pulley sizes. Mine sounds a lot faster than it is cause of the CAI. The supercharge absolutely screams at high RPMs. The only problem with the car is the fact that its an auto. I have the tapshift paddles on the steering wheel, but its really no fun at all, especially w/ only a 4 spd. I had an 02 Z28 6sp before this, and I have been extremely bored ever since I got the GTP. I need to get back in a manual soon before I lose my mind!!

Hey, where are you located? I was playn with a gtp not too long ago, and it was silver. I have an 03 black bugeye

i live in ohio near Cleveland.

Definitely get the 09 WRX. I just finished the VF52 install on my 08, and the tuning is just about perfect. I'm making over 300 whp and the car SCREAMS. It should run mid 12's if I were to put it on the dragstrip, but I won't because I don't want to kill my clutch.

My last "fast" car before this one was a '98 Z28 with a Vortech supercharger. It had more power (460 rwhp), but all I did was backpeddle to keep the tires from spinning. I didn't get traction until sometime in third gear. Best it ever ran was 12.55 @ 119, because too much traction and the clutch would spin. I sold it because I got followed by cops everywhere (and it looked mostly stock).

I've had way more fun in the WRX. It's great in all weather (it's a blast in the snow, with proper tires), can carry stuff, and is pretty darn quick.

Rob

I had an 02 Z28 before I got the GTP. I absolutely loved that car, and wish I would have kept it. Mine was basically stock, w/ just a loud mouth exhaust. I am definitely leaning towards the WRX, but I am also currently looking at buying a new house so that may delay things a bit. Also gotta talk the wife into it, LOL.

<Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 90k mi. my mod list>

Just curious, how did you get a 6-speed on an 02 wrx?

If you click his mod list link you will see: 2006 STI 6-speed Transmission w/DCCD

Quote Originally Posted by dchoi23 View Post
    <Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 90k mi. my mod list>

Just curious, how did you get a 6-speed on an 02 wrx?

You haven't learned a THING about AWD until you line up against it from a stop. You can add at least a car length to what you were beaten by with a good driver from a stop.
    What is with running from a roll? I know, with front wheel drive, the GTP cannot get off the line so quickly. I used to have a 1994 SHO which was a rival to the GTP back then.
    2004 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by 2004SilverWRX View Post
    You haven't learned a THING about AWD until you line up against it from a stop. You can add at least a car length to what you were beaten by with a good driver from a stop.
    What is with running from a roll? I know, with front wheel drive, the GTP cannot get off the line so quickly. I used to have a 1994 SHO which was a rival to the GTP back then.

Trust me I understand how AWD works.

This was against a TSI, you can see the clear AWD advantage until HP takes over.

Z28 VS Talon TSi video by dkepich - Photobucket

My GTP doesn't hook up at all from a dig, and I wouldn't try racing anyone that way. BTW, it wasn't an arranged race, it just happened. That is the reason for a roll race.
    Last edited by 09WRXShopper; 03-27-2009 at 02:37 PM.