Subaru WRX Forum banner

05 STI vs WS6 TA

9K views 86 replies 19 participants last post by  Wrinklechops 
#1 ·
Finally ran a TA today and got 2 good runs. 1st was a 20 roll and got him by 1 1/2. Second run was a dig and it was about 1 bus. Now I'm not sure what mods the TA had but it nice to flex a little 2.5 muscle. AWD FTW :cool:

#4 ·
How far did you go? Or was it just a short burst. I can see the WS6 TA making it up on the top-end...

#7 ·
Cobb short ram/ no box,samco turbo inlet pipe, stromung muffler. Last two mentioned were on the car when I bought it. We talked before we ran um and he even honked off both races. He really didn't want to dig so i gave him the 20 roll the first run. So It makes me wonder if he really tried on the dig run.:confused:

#9 ·
obp05mtx said:
From the roll run it's hard to tell, if I remember I let out at about the top of forth gear.The dig run I'm not sure if the guy spun and gave up or what happend.
4th tops out ~80-90 for me

G
#13 ·
TA = Trans Am, right guys? Correct me if I'm wrong, but those things can fly...

My friend had one of the last year model Firebirds before they discontinued that whole line (as did Chevy with the Camaro), and it wasn't slow by any means.

I'm not sure what the WS6 stands for, but these are the available engines for those cars in like 2001:

200-hp, 3.8-liter V-6
205-hp, 3.8-liter V-6
310-hp, 5.7-liter V-8
325-hp, 5.7-liter V-8
335-hp, 5.7-liter V-8

Even with a few mods on the base model 3.8, you'd think it would catch up quick to the WRX with none-to-simple power mods.

And I think the 335hp engine could probably take an STi. What do you guys think?

G
#19 · (Edited)
check this out...

any of you guys watch "Top Gear"? I love it. If you're familiar with it, here's something to consider... their "tame racing driver" has these times with these cars around their race track. Look how far you have to scroll down before you find an AWD car, although it is our arch-nemesis the Evo...

Ferrari F60 Enzo - 1.19.0
Porsche Carerra GT - 1.19.8
Mercedes McLaren SLR - 1.20.9
Ford GT - 1.21.9
Ferrari 360 CS - 1.22.3
Porsche GT3 RS - 1.22.3
Murcielago - 1.23.7
Zonda - 1.23.8
Koenigsegg - 1.23.9
Noble - 1.25.0
Gallardo - 1.25.8 (wet track)
Lotus Exige - 1.26.4 (slick tires on wet Track )
Chevrolet Corvette - 1.26.8
Porsche 911 GT3 - 1.27.2 (wet track)
TVR 350c - 1.27.5
BMW M3 CSL - 1.28.0 (wet track)
Dodge Viper SRT-10 - 1.28.5
MG SV - 1.28.6
Porsche 911 Carrera S - 1.28.9 (very wet)
Mitsubishi Evo VIII - 1.28.9
BMW Alpine Z8 - 1.29.0
Mercedes CL65 - 1.29
Alfa 3.7 GTA - 1.30.0
Subaru Impreza STI - 1.30.1
Aston Martin DB7 GT - 1.30.4
Audi S4 - 1.30.9
Porsche 911 turbo - 1.31.0
Vauxhall VX 220 turbo - 1.31.3
Honda NSX Type R - 1.31.6 (very wet)
BMW M3 - 1.31.8
Nissan 350Z - 1.31.8
Mazda RX8 - 1.31.8
Ford Focus RS - 1.32.2
Lotus Esprit V8 - 1.32.5
Audi TT V6 - 1.32.7
MG ZT - 1.33
Noble - 1.33.1
Mercedes SL 55 AMG - 1.33.2
Volkswagen Golf R32 - 1.33.2
Volvo S60R - 1.35.0
Ferrari 575 - 1.35.2
Alfa 147 GTA - 1.35.6
Lotus Elise - 1.35.6
Aston Martin Vanquish - 1.36.2
Renault Clio v6 - 1.36.2
Honda Civic Type R - 1.36.5
Saab 95 hot aero - 1.37.9
Mazzer - 1.38.0
Bowler Wildcat - 1.39.4
Bentley Arnarge - 1.40.8
Overfinch - 1.44.0

Looks like RWD wins again.

#22 · (Edited)
any of you guys watch "Top Gear"? I love it. If you're familiar with it, here's something to consider... their "tame racing driver" has these times with these cars around their race track. Look how far you have to scroll down before you find an AWD car, although it is our arch-nemesis the Evo...

Looks like RWD wins again.
get an updated list that one is way old. the veyron which is awd is currently 5th. and it also weighs twice as much as every car in the top 4 spots. awd on any dot tire wins every time. end thread.

Top Gear Test Track - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

spots 5, 10, 13 and 15 are all awd cars. veyron is mistyped a 4 should be a 1:17XX

#20 ·
lundholm08 said:
any of you guys watch "Top Gear"? I love it. If you're familiar with it, here's something to consider... their "tame racing driver" has these times with these cars around their race track. Look how far you have to scroll down before you find an AWD car, although it is our arch-nemesis the Evo..
Difference in power?

G
#24 ·
Advantages of RWD:

* Even weight distribution — The layout of a rear wheel drive car is much closer to an even fore and aft weight distribution than a front or all-wheel drive car, as more of the engine can lie between the front and rear wheels (in the case of a mid engine layout, the entire engine), and the transmission is moved much farther back.
* Weight transfer during acceleration — During heavy acceleration, weight is placed on the rear, or driving wheels, which improves traction.
* No torque steer (unless it's an all wheel steer with an offset differential).
* Steering radius — As no complicated drive shaft joints are required at the front wheels, it is possible to turn them further than would be possible using front wheel drive, resulting in a smaller steering radius for a given wheelbase.
* Better handling in dry conditions — the more even weight distribution and weight transfer improve the handling of the car. The front and rear tires are placed under more even loads, which allows for more grip while cornering.

#25 ·
The RWD versus AWD thing comes down to personal preference and need. There are some fine examples of "high hp cars" with AWD, Porsche's 911 Turbo, the GT-R, Lambo's higher end Gallardo, etc..and some people just love the feel and "security" of AWD. Obviously our brethren in the snow belt would prefer it.

Having said all of that, my next pure sports car is likely to be a RWD vehicle. I miss the driving dynamics..

#26 ·
Given the option of a high end car in RWD vs AWD is going to be a preference. I enjoy RWD for it's "fun" factor. If serious performance was an issue I'd option for AWD. Not being hindered severally by rain/snow goes a long way.

Watch some Grand-Am races where the cars and weighted down to be as equal as possible. You can not void out the driver skill factor, but any time it rains Subaru, Audi, and Volvo when they were in it put a serious hurting on the field. All cars have been in the top 3 on dry pavement as well.

#28 ·
First off I didn't claim this blowout victory over some super modded Trans Am, so don't get your point of this video.Second like a couple of post's have already said it's all preference, I prefer awd and on that day it out ran a rwd TA :whoa:

G
#34 ·
hate to be that nit picky guy, but in the list of car times around the topgear the lambo murcielago is pretty high up and its awd if im not mistaken
You're right, the Lambo is pretty high up there. So is the Veyron. Looks like the top 4 spots are held by RWD cars though, I'm afraid. You see, once you get up into the post 600-700hp range, and weight becomes a factor...and AWD weighs more with all it's differentials and control systems than good old fashioned RWD.

ADD Moment: could you imagine a 2WD sports-bike? Hayabusa? Yea bikes are all RWD. The dynamics just makes sense.

#42 ·
All We'll Drive FTW congrats on the win!

G
#43 ·
We weren't talking about a COBB Stage 2 WRX we were talking about a basically stock STi... and of course the Trans Am's numbers are beatable. Anybody's numbers are beatable lol. Where did you get this 1/4 mile time though I'm just curious? I don't know, if a WS6 can do 0-60 in 4.2-4.8 seconds, it must have horrible high gear ratio settings lol.

G
#44 ·
You refer to physics, and I mean no offense when I say you should look into it more my friend... when it is physics (and my good Engineer friend at GM) that states that the fastest way around a corner is being PUSHED i.e. RWD, not AWD... but don't take my word for it, just check out the fastest production cars on the planet, and for example their track times around the Top Gear circuit (as tested by a racing driver, no less). Most of them are RWD. Yes, AWD has it's advantages don't get me wrong. On anything other than dry pavement on a warm day, I'd take AWD over RWD. But like you said, there's a reason they don't use RWD in high powered applications (most of the time), and it has to do with weight and all the differentials and control systems, etc.

#46 ·
Something something MONEY.

700HP cars are going to cost a lot of money tied up in diff's and axles. A 700HP RWD car needs two really strong axles and a good rear diff.

700hp producation AWD car needs 4 good axles and several really good diffs.

It has nothing to do with RWD being able to put that power to the ground better.

#50 ·
Different cars period.

It's really hard to compare honestly. How many AWD offerings come in the exact same package as RWD variants. That's a comparision regarding the debate.

Picking brand X in RWD and brand Y in AWD doesnt matter because it's not the same car.

I could put a video together of a Ford Crown Vic (any year honestly) and compare it to another entry level people hauler from Subaru (the legacy) in a performance test and promote AWD as being the king. But atlas the test would be flawed much like the comparision you gave.

G
#51 ·
I understand what you're getting at, but at the same time they said that Audi's quattro system was one of the best.

In fact, wasn't it Audi who helped pioneer AWD in cars? Rally racing? Supposedly Audi's quattro system is pretty good, as is BMW's RWD system with their phenomenal DSC. So, wouldn't you say that was a decent comparison? Would it have been better to see what the BMW's 328xi (their AWD system) would handle like vs the regular RWD 328i?

My car before I traded it in for my WRX was a '98 328i, which had the DSC they spoke of in the movie, and I loved that thing to death. I could take twisty on-ramp entries with more confidence than I could once I got my '05 WRX. Weird.:eek3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.