05 STI vs WS6 TA - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 87

This is a discussion on 05 STI vs WS6 TA within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by LilJohn pushed or pulled? hmmmmmm why not both? its much easier to overpower your drive wheels in ...

  1. #61
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJohn View Post
    pushed or pulled? hmmmmmm why not both? its much easier to overpower your drive wheels in a FWD or RWD setup, but cars like the STi, EVO, RS4, GTR, all have the ability to dynamically allocate power to the wheels with grip.
    Your thinking is somewhat flawed my friend. While all those cars are indeed great cars and have AWD, you are actually LOSING power when you allocate it to all 4 wheels instead of just 2. You have more drivetrain power loss.

    In addition to loss in the drivetrain, the transmission components for an AWD car are more numerous and thus will also need to be accelerated (I don't know how much this actually matters in the long run, but the engine is having to spin up additional shafts, gears, and other components. Even if the power is provided hydraulically, there will be friction loss in the hydraulic power system). All the rotational mass of these components can have the same effect as trying to run with ankle weights. Sure, you can do it, but you can't move your legs as fast because of the additional momentum.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #62
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,933
    Some interesting data that I put together in a prior argument like this a while ago regarding 60 foots.

    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...hg8xTZa5VQUlaw

  4. #63
    Registered User obp05mtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West, Texas
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    That wasn't my post, it was from a physics forum regarding the efficiency of AWD vs RWD. But you're right, your '05 STi would munch a '96 or '97 M3. You certainly would not be munching on a comparable year M3, like the 2004 model. Certainly not my friend...
    And I'm sorry you mistook your lack of understanding of complicated drag coefficients as a trance of boredom.
    I've outrun a 2004 M3 dig and roll, roll run was 2 cars. I pulled one of the M roadsters by a length in my old SRT-4. Now I don't think my gear shifting abilities are any better than the other guy so don't give the excuss it must have been the other guys moms car so he didn't know how to drive it.

  5. #64
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by obp05mtx View Post
    I've outrun a 2004 M3 dig and roll, roll run was 2 cars. I pulled one of the M roadsters by a length in my old SRT-4. Now I don't think my gear shifting abilities are any better than the other guy so don't give the excuss it must have been the other guys moms car so he didn't know how to drive it.
    First off, it's spelled "excuse". Second, I'm glad you feel better about yourself because you beat a 2004 M3. How many times did you do this? Just curious, because we can both sit here all day and throw anecdotal evidence at each other like this:

    YouTube - BMW E46 ///M3 vs Subaru STi Spec C

    YouTube - E46 M3 versus MY04WRX STi

    YouTube - e46 m3 vs 2007 sti

    YouTube - Modded E36 M3 VS Impreza STI Drag Race

  6. #65
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Some interesting data that I put together in a prior argument like this a while ago regarding 60 foots.

    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...hg8xTZa5VQUlaw
    That is very intriguing... do you mind breaking it down into layman's terms though? Sorry

  7. #66
    Registered User obp05mtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West, Texas
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    First off, it's spelled "excuse". Second, I'm glad you feel better about yourself because you beat a 2004 M3. How many times did you do this? Just curious, because we can both sit here all day and throw anecdotal evidence at each other like this:

    YouTube - BMW E46 ///M3 vs Subaru STi Spec C

    YouTube - E46 M3 versus MY04WRX STi

    YouTube - e46 m3 vs 2007 sti

    YouTube - Modded E36 M3 VS Impreza STI Drag Race
    1. Thanxs four tha spelle ck
    2. Me 2
    3. Twice in one night

  8. #67
    Registered User obp05mtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West, Texas
    Posts
    137
    In all seriousness lundholm08 the videos prove nothing and me claiming I beat one proves nothing. I'm just stating what happened in my encounters and would not come on this site trying throw around false information. If I win great for me and if I loose I admit defeat. There is no shame in that, it's happened before and I know it will happen again.

  9. #68
    Boba Fett BrianH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Way up high.
    Posts
    17,933
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    That is very intriguing... do you mind breaking it down into layman's terms though? Sorry
    It was just interesting to see the variance in 60 foot times between AWD vehicles which in theory should perform better, and those that aren't.

  10. #69
    Wrinklechops
    What cars have you lost to? Out of curiousity...

  11. #70
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,098
    I Support ClubWRX
    Your copy and paste was a good attempt...but it doesnt prove anything.

    Equal cars (335's per se) the AWD will put down slighltly less power due to drivetrain loss if the entire engine, turbo, and ECU is the same between them....no one will or could argue that.


    That still doesnt prove your point through.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

  12. #71
    Registered User 2004NeonSRT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Oxford,PA
    Posts
    1,068
    agreed your logic is flawed as is the horrible 12th grade physic lesson
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

  13. #72
    Registered User obp05mtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West, Texas
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    What cars have you lost to? Out of curiousity...
    LS3 vette (My bro's car) just havin fun.
    S/C 04 cobra ,replaced my doors shortly after as this car was highly modded.
    LS1 camaro ,don't know mods but held my own against him.
    I'll run anything just for kick's, like I said you win some you loose some. In all honesty the only reason I posted originally was because I was supprised to have outrun the WS6 TA from a roll, I really thought the outcome would be different. That just goes to prove on the street's alot of elements come into play wich affect the outcome.

  14. #73
    Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    Your copy and paste was a good attempt...but it doesnt prove anything.

    Equal cars (335's per se) the AWD will put down slighltly less power due to drivetrain loss if the entire engine, turbo, and ECU is the same between them....no one will or could argue that.


    That still doesnt prove your point through.
    That's a good point about the equal cars like 335i vs 335xi, the xi having more drivetrain loss. But hell, I live in Colorado so you know I'd take the 335xi. Hence the reason I have my WRX :-)

    My point has only gotten to this point because someone said that the Trans Am would lose because it's heavier (144lbs more) and RWD. I only said that having RWD was not basis for a complete disqualification of being a powerful and capable car.

    So, all I'm saying is a 300hp STi puts what, 250 to wheels? And a 335hp Trans Am probably puts, what, 300hp to the wheels? Maybe a little less? Still more than the STi...

  15. #74
    Wrinklechops
    For acceleration from 0 to an arbitrary speed, the AWD car will most likely win because it has a better traction availability (less traction demand on each wheel means that the power is spread more evenly, so slippage and loss of traction is less likely). As soon as you get out of a limited traction situation, the car with the least transmission loss will win.

  16. #75
    Wrinklechops
    I agree. One time I beat a Dodge Charger Daytona. I thought I was doomed for trying, but the trick of it was that we were in a little twisty canyon kinda, and I could whip around the corners better.
    Another story, kinda funny...I was on the highway when all of a sudden I saw two cars come flying up behind me, so I started to gun it. As they got closer I could hear the blow off valve on the STi...but as they flew past me, it was a Mustang Cobra that was well in front of the STi. I only know it was a Cobra because he took the same exit I did, and then he started ****ing with me lol. Must've been one of those "kill ricer" types, I don't know... But man that Mustang could fly... what do they have like 360hp+?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •