05 STI vs WS6 TA - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on 05 STI vs WS6 TA within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by lundholm08 The point of the video was purely a joke dude. Do you honestly think I thought ...

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    The point of the video was purely a joke dude. Do you honestly think I thought you beat a BAN3 Trans Am with well over 600hp? I too enjoy AWD, hence the reason I have a WRX. Just don't question RWD's ability to smoke AWD in a launch from a dead stop. The Trans Am from 98-02 with the LS1 5.7 v8 (the WS6 you were referring to) can do 0-60 in 4.2-4.8 seconds. Pretty impressive for stock, if you ask me.

I forgot to add that the STi weighs 3296lbs and the TA weighs 3440lbs. So the 5.7 v8 weighs 144lbs more than the STi? That's a lightweight v8, and has mucho potential for torque and hp.

American muscle baby. Some people need to stop watching Fast and the Furious and playing Need for Speed so much.
    My brother has owned a LS1 camaro and corvette, currently ownes a LS3 corvette, so I love RWD American muscle. Also when did I question the ability of a RWD car not being able to outrun an AWD car from a dead, stop putting word's in my mouth and keep your ignorant fast and furious comment's to your self.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by obp05mtx View Post
    My brother has owned a LS1 camaro and corvette, currently ownes a LS3 corvette, so I love RWD American muscle. Also when did I question the ability of a RWD car not being able to outrun an AWD car from a dead, stop putting word's in my mouth and keep your ignorant fast and furious comment's to your self.
    I didn't put any words in your mouth my dear Boy-Racer friend. I was more talking to everyone else who I was discussing AWD vs RWD with, just like had done when you mentioned your preference. I see you know and appreciate RWD muscle when you see it, and I applaud you for that.

But if you take a look around there are some who love AWD so much they think they're going to fly off the road without it, so that's why I think it's overrated and way too "trendy" in that Fast/Furious type of way. Don't get all riled up bro why do you think I own a WRX? Bang for the buck baby.

Lambo is AWD, right?

hate to be that nit picky guy, but in the list of car times around the topgear the lambo murcielago is pretty high up and its awd if im not mistaken
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by falkonsti View Post
    hate to be that nit picky guy, but in the list of car times around the topgear the lambo murcielago is pretty high up and its awd if im not mistaken
    You're right, the Lambo is pretty high up there. So is the Veyron. Looks like the top 4 spots are held by RWD cars though, I'm afraid. You see, once you get up into the post 600-700hp range, and weight becomes a factor...and AWD weighs more with all it's differentials and control systems than good old fashioned RWD.

ADD Moment: could you imagine a 2WD sports-bike? Hayabusa? Yea bikes are all RWD. The dynamics just makes sense.

I didn't put any words in your mouth my dear Boy-Racer friend. I was more talking to everyone else who I was discussing AWD vs RWD with, just like had done when you mentioned your preference. I see you know and appreciate RWD muscle when you see it, and I applaud you for that.

But if you take a look around there are some who love AWD so much they think they're going to fly off the road without it, so that's why I think it's overrated and way too "trendy" in that Fast/Furious type of way. Don't get all riled up bro why do you think I own a WRX? Bang for the buck baby.
    Not riled up yet you should convert your WRX to RWD like the evo in tokyo drift

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by obp05mtx View Post
    Not riled up yet you should convert your WRX to RWD like the evo in tokyo drift
    I've heard some people do that to get a better launch out of it...

Funny chit man

Yep, Rigoli and a handfull of others have done that. Last I remember seeing it, it was some of the crazy PR boys and for some reason I thought they have one of the fastest full frame'd 60ft for a snoob out there.

Registered User DarkShocker WRX's Avatar
    It weighs 144lbs more, which isn't much more when you consider the engine is almost triple the displacement of the STi.
    all i am saying is a cobb stage 2 wrx could stay with a ls1
    think about it a 2002 WS6 only runs a 13.6 them numbers are very good for a stock car but that is beatable
    Total Kaos - Car Club
    2004 Rex Stage II

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    hehe...no kidding. It's nice to see this discussion pop up every now and then.

To me it's just common sense. Having all 4 wheels power you, regardless of the application (straight line or curves) allows an overall greater contact patch for the driven wheels. Sure there is a trade off with weight and a bit of a loss of adhesion due to dual functionality of the front wheels both driving and turning, but in this day and age of computer controlled everything, this is more than offset.

Point of fact...AWD rally car vs RWD rally car. Same power levels, suspension, driver, etc. Which will win?

Same holds for every other race sport (with the obvious exception for high speed runs like at Bonneville, and even then it has it's points).
    I beg to differ my friend; the same does NOT hold true in every other race sport. In rally racing, of course AWD will be superior because you're on slippery surfaces and need all the traction you can get. No brainer.

All racing is based on RWD, tracking racing, anyway. Not to mention RWD cars tend to be lighter because they only need 2 differentials whereas AWD cars tend to need 3, among other things...

I think nowadays people really overrate AWD, as if they're going to fly off the road at every turn without it.
    Just because most racing is based on RWD does not mean it is superior to AWD. It comes down to cost when racing is involved, as the added components and weight simply cost more. Have driven in competitive environments in both RWD and AWD configuration, and can say from personal experience that AWD provides an advantage over RWD, exspecially in a weight controlled role.

As my previous example was intented to provide, If, for example, F1 or any top form of racing, where ALL have weight control of some form or another, were to allow AWD, you would quickly see AWD dominate over RWD. Same cars, same weight, roughly same power levels...how can you refute the physics.

As was referred to earlier, can you remember any of the motorsports forums where AWD has been banned due to its "unfair" advantage. I can.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

I Support ClubWRX
    You're right, the Lambo is pretty high up there. So is the Veyron. Looks like the top 4 spots are held by RWD cars though, I'm afraid.
    The "top 4 spots"? Top 4 spots of what? There's a magic list that we're all supposed to be working from?

Again...personal preference. You're not going to convince anyone that something's "better" because of some list.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

All We'll Drive FTW congrats on the win!
    I am Rob - 02 WRB Impreza WRX Sedan: 15% tint all the way, Invidia N1 race catback exhaust, Helix bellmouth DP, Perrin 25mm rear sway bar, SPT High flow air intake, HKS SSQ Bov, Whiteline rear end links,
    17'' Gold OZ Ultra Leggeras, K-Sport fully adjustable coilovers, JDM V7 STi scoop...Much more to come in time
    You WON'T find any V-Tec under my hood!
    BugEye Mafia#208

Wrinklechops
    We weren't talking about a COBB Stage 2 WRX we were talking about a basically stock STi... and of course the Trans Am's numbers are beatable. Anybody's numbers are beatable lol. Where did you get this 1/4 mile time though I'm just curious? I don't know, if a WS6 can do 0-60 in 4.2-4.8 seconds, it must have horrible high gear ratio settings lol.

Wrinklechops
    You refer to physics, and I mean no offense when I say you should look into it more my friend... when it is physics (and my good Engineer friend at GM) that states that the fastest way around a corner is being PUSHED i.e. RWD, not AWD... but don't take my word for it, just check out the fastest production cars on the planet, and for example their track times around the Top Gear circuit (as tested by a racing driver, no less). Most of them are RWD. Yes, AWD has it's advantages don't get me wrong. On anything other than dry pavement on a warm day, I'd take AWD over RWD. But like you said, there's a reason they don't use RWD in high powered applications (most of the time), and it has to do with weight and all the differentials and control systems, etc.

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    The "top 4 spots"? Top 4 spots of what? There's a magic list that we're all supposed to be working from?

Again...personal preference. You're not going to convince anyone that something's "better" because of some list.
    The "magic list" is the Top Gear track times (look in this thread for it) that we were discussing. And no, it's not a "list to be working from", it was just used a reference for discussion when it comes to some of the fastest and best handling production cars on the planet, all being tested on the same track by essentially the same professional driver. It's something to think about...

And I'm not trying to convince anyone that RWD is "better" than AWD, because obviously it's not. I would say both have their advantages, would you not? The only reason this discussion got started was because it was suggested that the STi beat the Trans Am because the Trans Am "was heavier and RWD", as if those 144lbs difference and RWD was a disadvantage, and it's not. I was just giving examples of "high performance cars that are not AWD, so don't knock RWD" is what I was saying... so if AWD was superior and the best way to get an 700hp+ car around a track faster than anything, you'd think all high performance cars would be AWD, but they're not.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast