STOCK 09 wrx vs- - Page 12
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on STOCK 09 wrx vs- within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; what is the fastes 1/4 mile et for a wrx wagon??...

wagon

what is the fastes 1/4 mile et for a wrx wagon??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Yep, a GTR will make mincemeat of you. The 09 WRX suspension is outrageous soft so you'd probably just have killed yourself anyway. I ride in several 09 WRXs on a regular basis, and the handling is without doubt their weakest link (aside from low-end torque which is cured by a downpipe + stage 2 tune). Wish there were a cheaper fix for the 09 suspension woes than buying coilovers. *sigh* Would make riding around in one of them so much less miserable...
    I've only had the 09 so I can't comment on the handling compared to other stock WRX's, but is the handling THAT bad where your only reasonable suggestion is coilovers? You must be considering some track time when you say that, right? For a daily driver, I find the handling to be fine and actually pretty good, but again, I have only had this WRX.

Even so, the handling can't be THAT bad as you imply. What about some sway bars and end-links? Would that make the handling acceptable?

For me, unless you're doing track time, there's no need to put so much $ into suspension because you're not going to find a public road where you can "reasonably" (I quote because this is totally subjective) push a car to its suspension limits. If you're using the car as a daily driver like me, you definitely want a comfortable, softer suspension. So in that regard, having an acceptable suspension for one person might be totally unacceptable to another person. And I will leave my current preference open to change in the future, but for now, the suspension is fine...certainly not miserable, as you put it.

I guess this is a long way of asking, what kind of driving do you do where you find the handling of the 09 WRX miserable?
    Last edited by Doctor K; 09-11-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor K View Post
    I've only had the 09 so I can't comment on the handling compared to other stock WRX's, but is the handling THAT bad where your only reasonable suggestion is coilovers? You must be considering some track time when you say that, right? For a daily driver, I find the handling to be fine and actually pretty good, but again, I have only had this WRX.

Even so, the handling can't be THAT bad as you imply. What about some sway bars and end-links? Would that make the handling acceptable?

For me, unless you're doing track time, there's no need to put so much $ into suspension because you're not going to find a public road where you can "reasonably" (I quote because this is totally subjective) push a car to its suspension limits. If you're using the car as a daily driver like me, you definitely want a comfortable, softer suspension. So in that regard, having an acceptable suspension for one person might be totally unacceptable to another person. And I will leave my current preference open to change in the future, but for now, the suspension is fine...certainly not miserable, as you put it.

I guess this is a long way of asking, what kind of driving do you do where you find the handling of the 09 WRX miserable?
    I certainly agree that this is always going to be subjective. The problem with 09 WRX is the outrageous amount of body roll. Even at fairly low speeds, the amount of roll is astonishing. At low speed, I mean even 20mph, going round a pretty tame curve, you feel the body of the car separating itself from the wheels, and your falling out of the chair.

This is nothing to do with tracking a car. I certainly agree that a mushier suspension lends itself to a more comfortable daily driver in a straight line, but the WRX is already a compromise car - not the slowness of the RS nor the more "track ready" aggressiveness of the STI. However, I don't feel like the WRX has a compromise suspension setup. It's just soft. Plain and simple. If anything, it feels like Subaru misjudged the power on the 09 WRXs. 265hp is a LOT, and with a lackluster suspension this is crazy to me. I can see a lot of people getting into trouble in the 09s because of pushing too much power through the corners, where the WRX REALLY wants to plow wide. You can hear it in the tires as they roll over on their edges. Not a pleasant sound.

Once again, this is subjective. But to me the 09 WRX really just is a quick 4-door sedan/hatch with all-weather capabilities. It's a shame, really. It's definitely not even close to a track car in stock form. You'd be pressed up against the window on every turn, plowing wide. I hope these people are careful on the windy roads. The 09 WRX just scares me. It's a VERY powerful car.

PS The wheel arch gap is a dead giveaway. Could house a small family in there.
    Last edited by WilliamG; 09-11-2009 at 11:18 AM.
    2010 SSM STI

I certainly agree that this is always going to be subjective. The problem with 09 WRX is the outrageous amount of body roll. Even at fairly low speeds, the amount of roll is astonishing. At low speed, I mean even 20mph, going round a pretty tame curve, you feel the body of the car separating itself from the wheels, and your falling out of the chair.

This is nothing to do with tracking a car. I certainly agree that a mushier suspension lends itself to a more comfortable daily driver in a straight line, but the WRX is already a compromise car - not the slowness of the RS nor the more "track ready" aggressiveness of the STI. However, I don't feel like the WRX has a compromise suspension setup. It's just soft. Plain and simple. If anything, it feels like Subaru misjudged the power on the 09 WRXs. 265hp is a LOT, and with a lackluster suspension this is crazy to me. I can see a lot of people getting into trouble in the 09s because of pushing too much power through the corners, where the WRX REALLY wants to plow wide. You can hear it in the tires as they roll over on their edges. Not a pleasant sound.

Once again, this is subjective. But to me the 09 WRX really just is a quick 4-door sedan/hatch with all-weather capabilities. It's a shame, really. It's definitely not even close to a track car in stock form. You'd be pressed up against the window on every turn, plowing wide. I hope these people are careful on the windy roads. The 09 WRX just scares me. It's a VERY powerful car.

PS The wheel arch gap is a dead giveaway. Could house a small family in there.
    Thanks for your insightful post.

I could take this two ways:

1) it gives me a great excuse to go to the wife and say the car needs upgraded suspension or else!

2) I can be contently ignorant to all the things you state, subjective or not, and go on my merry way in stock form

I certainly like spirited driving and the feel of the car is very important to me. I think I'm going to give the stock form some more time. I might even take it to an auto-x event or two to get a feel of the limits of the car in stock form is before throwing down some cash on some upgrades.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

i have a stock 09 and will agree the susp is a bit soft. the body roll is what i noticed too. BUT, for pretty cheap, (165 for strut and sway bars.) alot of it can be taken away. i threw a front strut bar on mine and already feel the diff. cant wait till i brace the chassis a bit more
    09 WRX dgm
    gt spec front strut bar. <--- first mod

Quote Originally Posted by wr-tek View Post
    i have a stock 09 and will agree the susp is a bit soft. the body roll is what i noticed too. BUT, for pretty cheap, (165 for strut and sway bars.) alot of it can be taken away. i threw a front strut bar on mine and already feel the diff. cant wait till i brace the chassis a bit more
    That's what I figured, that a strut and sway bars can pretty much solve the body roll issue. But, WilliamG suggested coilovers and I thought that was a little unreasonable given the cost.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

I Support ClubWRX
    That's what I figured, that a strut and sway bars can pretty much solve the body roll issue. But, WilliamG suggested coilovers and I thought that was a little unreasonable given the cost.
    That's the thing! I don't suggest coiloverd at all. Way too expensive. But sway bars will not help at lower speeds. At least they didn't help my STI until you get speed up. Springs really helped, though. I'm blown away by the lack of options for the current WRX year.
    2010 SSM STI

That's the thing! I don't suggest coiloverd at all. Way too expensive. But sway bars will not help at lower speeds. At least they didn't help my STI until you get speed up. Springs really helped, though. I'm blown away by the lack of options for the current WRX year.
    I get it now. In order to get that all-around, well-balanced feeling and performance, you'll need to invest in coilovers, do some experimentation with the current available aftermarket resources, or wait till more reasonable resources are made available.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

I Support ClubWRX
    I get it now. In order to get that all-around, well-balanced feeling and performance, you'll need to invest in coilovers, do some experimentation with the current available aftermarket resources, or wait till more reasonable resources are made available.
    Exactomondo. Power is certainly not an issue with the 09 WRX. One of the 09s I've driven - the owner just did a Cobb catted downpipe + Stage 2 flash (AP), which fixes the lackluster low-end issues of stock 09 WRXs, and makes the car VERY powerful. He's just desperate for some handling mods. I hope a more affordable solution comes soon for you guys....
    2010 SSM STI

Quote Originally Posted by wr-tek View Post
    Eibach has a spring and sway kit for the 08+ WRX....
    compared to the perrin or cobb kit it's a steal.
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxnews View Post
    Eibach has a spring and sway kit for the 08+ WRX....
    compared to the perrin or cobb kit it's a steal.
    08+?

Do 08 WRX suspension parts work on 09+?

**EDIT**

Just checked, there is NO suspension upgrade for the 09+ WRX from Eibach. Says it's currently in development. There is, however, an upgrade kit for the 2008 WRX from them.
    Last edited by WilliamG; 09-11-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    2010 SSM STI

08+?

Do 08 WRX suspension parts work on 09+?

**EDIT**

Just checked, there is NO suspension upgrade for the 09+ WRX from Eibach. Says it's currently in development. There is, however, an upgrade kit for the 2008 WRX from them.
    I stand corrected
    <-----#1 Fanboi
    Stink-Eye-Mob #19
    ECU cracked by RomRaider

Exactomondo. Power is certainly not an issue with the 09 WRX. One of the 09s I've driven - the owner just did a Cobb catted downpipe + Stage 2 flash (AP), which fixes the lackluster low-end issues of stock 09 WRXs, and makes the car VERY powerful. He's just desperate for some handling mods. I hope a more affordable solution comes soon for you guys....
    Price aside, what is your recommendation with the parts that are available now in order to achieve (subjective to your preference) a non-miserable 09?
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

I Support ClubWRX
    Price aside, what is your recommendation with the parts that are available now in order to achieve (subjective to your preference) a non-miserable 09?
    That's the problem. I can't in good conscience recommend coilovers, because that seems to be overkill. Swaybars are definitely a start, but that really just helps more on the edge than for "daily driving." I know it sounds like doom and gloom, but from this perspective I'd be INCREDIBLY frustrated to own a 2009 WRX at this point.

*EDIT*

OK, so price aside, get coilovers... Quite simply, really.

**EDIT 2**

Keep an eye on this thread. RCE (Racecomp Engineering) are working on a solution for 09 WRXs. Believe me there are a LOT of people who are frustrated to heck with the 09 suspension.

Gauging interest.....2008 and 2009 WRX owners, suspension, coilovers, sway bars.... - Page 5 - NASIOC
    Last edited by WilliamG; 09-11-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    2010 SSM STI

That's the problem. I can't in good conscience recommend coilovers, because that seems to be overkill. Swaybars are definitely a start, but that really just helps more on the edge than for "daily driving." I know it sounds like doom and gloom, but from this perspective I'd be INCREDIBLY frustrated to own a 2009 WRX at this point.

*EDIT*

OK, so price aside, get coilovers... Quite simply, really.

**EDIT 2**

Keep an eye on this thread. RCE (Racecomp Engineering) are working on a solution for 09 WRXs. Believe me there are a LOT of people who are frustrated to heck with the 09 suspension.

Gauging interest.....2008 and 2009 WRX owners, suspension, coilovers, sway bars.... - Page 5 - NASIOC
    You're like my woman, indecisive

JK, thanks for the link to the RCE thread. Sounds promising.

There seems to be a good handful of choices for coilovers and the prices vary from 1k to well over 2k. The ones in the lower range of 1k actually seem pretty reasonable to me. Any recommendations on specific brands?

My goal is to have a comfortable daily driver that is well equipped for spirited driving in the twisties and once in a while track and be able to withstand light off-road/snow conditions (understanding that I would also need the proper tires to get the most out of the setup).

Am I asking too much? Again, I can't, in good conscience, spend any money on this stuff right now so I'm just fielding information for the time being.

Thanks for any input, you've been helpful in entertaining horrible thoughts of spending money.
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT