STOCK 09 wrx vs- - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

This is a discussion on STOCK 09 wrx vs- within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by turbotwist one thing to remember is that all numbers listed in magazines are from a qualified test ...

Quote Originally Posted by turbotwist View Post
    one thing to remember is that all numbers listed in magazines are from a qualified test driver usually driving in ideal conditions.
    Another thing to remember is that they are all usually driving the same cars... that 09 WRX that C+D tested is probably the same one that Autoweek and Import Tuner tested... it is an instant sample, and doesn't always represent the overall truth.
    Family fun: 2010 BMW M3 Sedan; STOCK
    Single fun: 2012 Mustang Boss 302; STOCK
    SOLD to my Brother: 02 WRX Sedan / Short throw, K+N drop in, Helix up and down pipe, Borla Hush twin tip, Whiteline sways and endlinks, KYB GR2s, Swift springs, Cobb Stage 2
    SOLD: 05 Mustang GT Convertible / blown and tuned by Dynospeed Racing, Memphis TN

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I also own a 09 wrx.I went stage one cobb ap and a magna flow cbe and man its like someone put a rocket on the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHQ View Post
    I also own a 09 wrx.I went stage one cobb ap and a magna flow cbe and man its like someone put a rocket on the roof.
    you should go for the downpipe....it makes a world of difference

you should go for the downpipe....it makes a world of difference
    Im going to get the cobb down pipe after she is broken in i only have 600 miles on the car

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHQ View Post
    Im going to get the cobb down pipe after she is broken in i only have 600 miles on the car
    arent you supposed to drive the car easy for the first 600-1000 miles?

arent you supposed to drive the car easy for the first 600-1000 miles?
    Im am going easy on the car.I jumped the gun on stage 1 now i can go to stage 2 in a month I can hear the car now and it runs much better at stage 1 then stock.

How do they stack up against an Evo X with a Cobb Stage 1 flash? That's what I have right now, but I might have to switch since I can get the WRX for about 150.00 a month less.... would I be really disapointed?

I Support ClubWRX
    Let me chime in. I posted over at iwsti.com about how my Stage 1 (Cobb 91map AccessPORT) 2008 STI lost to my friend's stock SPT 2009 WRX (HP up from 265hp to 274hp, and tq up from 244 to 250 due to SPT catback - the only mod). We raced from 20mph up to 70mph, and from 60mph and 70mph to around 110mph on a closed circuit. Each time he would pull on me.

Neither of can figure it out. I'm going stage 2 this weekend which may turn the tables, but for those wondering how fast an 09 WRX is, it's easily as fast as any stock/close-to-stock STI out there in a straight line.

Here's the thread:

Just raced a buddy's SPT 2009 WRX and lost. - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

For those wondering how this is possible, remember a 2009 WRX weighs 224lbs less than a 2008/2009 STI for starters, and I'm sure the gearing might have something to do with it as well... The STI is no highway demon that's for sure.
    Last edited by WilliamG; 07-22-2009 at 12:59 AM.
    2010 SSM STI

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    Let me chime in. I posted over at iwsti.com about how my Stage 1 (Cobb 91map AccessPORT) 2008 STI lost to my friend's stock SPT 2009 WRX (HP up from 265hp to 274hp, and tq up from 244 to 250 due to SPT catback - the only mod). We raced from 20mph up to 70mph, and from 60mph and 70mph to around 110mph on a closed circuit. Each time he would pull on me.

Neither of can figure it out. I'm going stage 2 this weekend which may turn the tables, but for those wondering how fast an 09 WRX is, it's easily as fast as any stock/close-to-stock STI out there in a straight line.

Here's the thread:

Just raced a buddy's SPT 2009 WRX and lost. - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

For those wondering how this is possible, remember a 2009 WRX weighs 224lbs less than a 2008/2009 STI for starters, and I'm sure the gearing might have something to do with it as well... The STI is no highway demon that's for sure.
    Thats interesting and really shouldn't be... 224 lbs shouldn't make a HUGE difference, I forget what the equation is but its like for every 100 lbs you lose its like gaining 1-3 whp... Now from 0-60 the wrx has a bit of an advantage due to gear ratios; one shift to go to 60 as opposed to the sti's 2 shifts to 60.
    However the sti should have at least 40 hp on the wrx. (09 @265 and sti @ 305).. so I think its a driver issue... The sti should pull especially anything over 60 mph.
    as for the cat back... that shouldn't make a big difference either, it helps but its not going to light any fires under the hood.

Warning rant ahead!!

The 09 is a great base to build on.. The transmissions gears have been hardened the turbo is upgraded and its suspension tweaks are great. I love my 09 and no I dont think its the best thing under the sun.. But for under 25k as a new car, its hard to beat. that ands it quiet when its fast (minus turbo spool) I love that...

People keep talking from a roll this from a roll that... we buy the wrx's in part because of the awd... Thats one of the advantages to the wrx... the drive train is one of the top 3 aspects of the car that make it amazing (boxer motors torque, and suspension being the other 2 IMHO)... A Subaru WRX is designed with AWD THATS WHY WE BOUGHT IT so deal with the advantage... thats part of what we payed for when we buy a Subaru... if we wanted to do from a roll all day we would have bought something else...

I love my WRX, I love is symmetrical AWD, I love how it helps the car ride rails around a corner, or pull through snow better then Santa's reindeer. I love the turbo, the boxers torque is A MAZE ZING... I got my Subaru for all its advantages and I will use em...

Why should I handicap my car by doing something dumb like running some kid hitting his vtaaaach button on a highway from a roll... That basically eliminates all of the WRX's advantages. takes away its launch, takes away its handling, and just uses that one hell of a tall and slow 5th gear we have...

If you wanna race from a roll fine... then the next race should be up a mountain trail winding by trees and spectators with in inches at 90mph. over jumps and gravel, muddy crossways and getting your mirror knocked off by a close growing tree... But oh I guess your car wasnt built for that was it? well our WRX's werent built to be highway warriors... we all have our advantages, likes and dislikes in our cars... THATS WHY THEY ARE OUR CARS... but it really gets me when people try to take away the cars advantages and then compare... That reminds me of that spike show pinks.. "sure ill race you again but since your car is so much faster you give me 6 car lengths, no nitrous, no turbo, and you have to rub your head pat your belly and spin around 8 times before you start your car using your feet" arrrrrrg ...

Cars have differences that make them better in certain categories, THAT WHY THEY ARE CALLED ADVANTAGES, and not "only to be used when racing someone who has the same thing on their car"

anyway back on topic
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

I Support ClubWRX
    I won't argue with you about what "should" be faster. I'm a competent driver. As soon as I put my foot down at 4000rpm in 2nd gear, I pull ahead and have to change gear, therefore the longer gearing of the WRX wins. It's that simple. As soon as I'm changing gear (which I can do VERY quickly), the WRX starts to walk away, and it's all over from there.

In any case, yes there's a lot more to an STI than roll racing, of course! Anyone who buys either a WRX or an STI for a roll racing is just...well... not very smart.
    Last edited by WilliamG; 08-23-2009 at 09:35 PM.
    2010 SSM STI

It's a freaking rally car bro.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    It's a freaking rally car bro.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I was just driving back from a family dinner (09 stock wrx here) on a nice and curvy road....and what do you know.... a nissan GTR gets behind me!! He starts hugging my rear end, making it fairly obvious he wants to play. Since I've had this car, this is by far the fastest car that's ever been behind me. Now I know a stock 09 wrx doesn't have a chance in hell against a beast like the GTR, AND speeding is not looked upon as the greatest thing in the world on public roads, but we're all only human, right?

One slight problem...I'M DRIVING MY MOM HOME. The typical mom that freaks out when ANY hint of, uh, unorthodox driving is occurring. So I end up driving 40 mph in a 40 zone on a great road with a GTR hugging my rear the whole time.

Awesome.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by playstat88 View Post
    I was just driving back from a family dinner (09 stock wrx here) on a nice and curvy road....and what do you know.... a nissan GTR gets behind me!! He starts hugging my rear end, making it fairly obvious he wants to play. Since I've had this car, this is by far the fastest car that's ever been behind me. Now I know a stock 09 wrx doesn't have a chance in hell against a beast like the GTR, AND speeding is not looked upon as the greatest thing in the world on public roads, but we're all only human, right?

One slight problem...I'M DRIVING MY MOM HOME. The typical mom that freaks out when ANY hint of, uh, unorthodox driving is occurring. So I end up driving 40 mph in a 40 zone on a great road with a GTR hugging my rear the whole time.

Awesome.
    Yep, a GTR will make mincemeat of you. The 09 WRX suspension is outrageous soft so you'd probably just have killed yourself anyway. I ride in several 09 WRXs on a regular basis, and the handling is without doubt their weakest link (aside from low-end torque which is cured by a downpipe + stage 2 tune). Wish there were a cheaper fix for the 09 suspension woes than buying coilovers. *sigh* Would make riding around in one of them so much less miserable...
    2010 SSM STI

ok that is just an awesome story haha. but yeah all you would have been was a kill story on the gtr forum. but would be sweet to see the beast playing
    Dirty Crew #8807
    02 wrx 246awhp sold to get 03
    03 wrx 400awhp also sold to get a house
    currently shoping though