2004 STi VS 2000 Camaro SS?? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 STi VS 2000 Camaro SS?? within the Comparison: WRX vs World forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by ninefourteener <<<< has a video of himself racing a late model Camaro SS at the dragstrip.... look ...

Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post
    <<<< has a video of himself racing a late model Camaro SS at the dragstrip.... look at my signature.

Camaro SS's and WS-6 Trans Ams were HIGHLY underrated..... GM was lying their asses off to sell cars. If you read old Motor Trend Magazines and such... they were rated at 300hp from the factory.... but in actuality, they were putting out around 250-260.

Mustang GTs of the same timeframe were even worse.

My setup is equivilent to a Stage 2 STI... Nice, but nothing "extreme" I don't think.

But by comparison.... you'd think my car was radical..... because I literally handed this Camaro SS owner his own ass on a platter. I had him by 5 or 6 car lengths by the time he barely started moving.... pathetic

Pardon the poor video quality.... The cameraman was my 10 year old daughter.
    A 300hp car factoring in ~15% drivetrain loss should dyno in the mid 200's, YMMV depending on dyno/DA of course. I don't think the LT1 was really misstated though.

LS1's however were, they were pretty underrated. They were supposedly 3-32xhp(depending on the motor) but on a ego booster dyno they could come damn close to 300 at the tire. Then again dyno numbers can be manipulated one way or another and really can't be compared. Quarter mile wise with a decent driver some have seen 13's and 107-108. Of course, QM times aren't exactly a great comparison either as there are a lot of factors with one of the biggest being driver.

Either way, the OP frumarolling is going to lose the grip advantage down low and have a good run for his money with a stock SS.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

im an american and i think this is the best way to put it:

Japanese engineering > American engineering

Tuners FTW

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson2k10 View Post
    im an american and i think this is the best way to put it:

Japanese engineering > American engineering

Tuners FTW
    Other than making you look like the typical blatantly ignorant import fanboy, what the hell does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Yes, thank god for tuners. Without them some of us wouldn't be able to keep up with stock cars.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Other than making you look like the typical blatantly ignorant import fanboy, what the hell does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Yes, thank god for tuners. Without them some of us wouldn't be able to keep up with stock cars.
    well i used to be a SUPER domestic fanboy... especially SRT stuff, until i realized that tuners can achieve the same amount of hp as a lot of domestic muscles with sometimes less than HALF the displacement, have higher quality, and on top of that make it affordable. so yes im a tuner guy, i respect muscles i just think tuners are the better choice in my opinion... and its relevant to the topic bcuz this thread is a domestic vs. import thread.

its all relative. a 500cinch big block funny car makes 6000hp. don't see a 250inch motor doing that any time soon. in the end there is no replacement for displacement. thats just the truth. hp per liter doesn't win races. power to weight does. mostly.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson2k10 View Post
    well i used to be a SUPER domestic fanboy... especially SRT stuff, until i realized that tuners can achieve the same amount of hp as a lot of domestic muscles with sometimes less than HALF the displacement, have higher quality, and on top of that make it affordable. so yes im a tuner guy, i respect muscles i just think tuners are the better choice in my opinion... and its relevant to the topic bcuz this thread is a domestic vs. import thread.

Oh, great I'm glad to see you've switched fanboy camps and are now going to be a detriment to this site. I can already sense that you're going to bring a lot to the site in terms of content.

Having actually had experience building semi-powerful cars, putting down more horsepower than vehicles with twice their displacement I can tell you right now you're in for an awakening There's nothing reliable or cheap about making decent power aside from the first few bang for the buck mods which while they have a great ROI, don't really bring you much power. A local import shop has a sign on their front desk: Cheap, Reliable, Powerful, Pick two and as you fund this addiction you'll find this is horribly true.

Also, this isn't an import versus domestic thread. It's a STi versus Camaro SS thread, the subject hints towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2004NeonSRT4 View Post
    its all relative. a 500cinch big block funny car makes 6000hp. don't see a 250inch motor doing that any time soon. in the end there is no replacement for displacement. thats just the truth. hp per liter doesn't win races. power to weight does. mostly.
    hahaha very true. cant argue with that. BUT theres not that many guys driving around with a 500ci engine or willing to spend the money to up the hp to ungodly amounts. im talking about everyday cars. lol but ur rite on that.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    Oh, great I'm glad to see you've switched fanboy camps and are now going to be a detriment to this site. I can already sense that you're going to bring a lot to the site in terms of content.

Having actually had experience building semi-powerful cars, putting down more horsepower than vehicles with twice their displacement I can tell you right now you're in for an awakening There's nothing reliable or cheap about making decent power aside from the first few bang for the buck mods which while they have a great ROI, don't really bring you much power. A local import shop has a sign on their front desk: Cheap, Reliable, Powerful, Pick two and as you fund this addiction you'll find this is horribly true.

Also, this isn't an import versus domestic thread. It's a STi versus Camaro SS thread, the subject hints towards that.

i understand. i see what ur saying. i like tuners also cuz the look on a camaro/SRT8/Stang owners face after they see that imports have surprisingly more power than expected. and on the subject of building/modding a car with half the displacement of a muscle, personally i would rather buy a cheaper car (ex: WRX) and have more money for mods than to drop 45 grand on a srt8 or an SS. but thats just me.

i like imports and some have really good sound but it is hard to beat the sound of a good throaty exhaust system on a v8. and if you lose the race, say how about we throw some curves in to the race instead of straight line
    Dirty Crew #8807
    02 wrx 246awhp sold to get 03
    03 wrx 400awhp also sold to get a house
    currently shoping though

Quote Originally Posted by Wilz02wrx View Post
    i like imports and some have really good sound but it is hard to beat the sound of a good throaty exhaust system on a v8. and if you lose the race, say how about we throw some curves in to the race instead of straight line
    just cause its a V8 doesn't mean it can't handle the curves.

If I could have another car, I would choose an LS1 powered transam/firebird in a heart beat. Relatively easy to get to 400whp and sounds just plain mean.

thats true but awd vs rwd on corners has a slight advantage. of couse that doesnt mean just because you have awd you can take on any car. ive just found that most stockish mustangs camaro etc arent as good on corners
    Dirty Crew #8807
    02 wrx 246awhp sold to get 03
    03 wrx 400awhp also sold to get a house
    currently shoping though

I Support ClubWRX
    Sheesh, I'm away for a time due to sickness and travel, and the first thread I get to read is more uber-fanboi tripe. How disappointing.

LS1-powered cars were overrated at the factory? That's a new one on me.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

In the middle of a corn field somewhere in Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfieldswrx View Post
    ls1-powered cars were overrated at the factory? That's a new one on me.
    +1
    OBP 2005 Wrx - Big 16g

I Support ClubWRX
    With some decent radials heated up at the line, a well driven ls6 will be a very close race in the 1/4 with a stage 2 STi.

A stock STi against an ls6, but driven will will result in the STi pulling an immediate lead and keeping it until about 50 yards from the finish. This was common in my experiences at the strip.

Stage 2 STi, it really comes down to 2 items. How well each car is driven, and what tires the Camaro will have on it. With drag radials and a good driver, this will be a good race.

ps...anyone that says a stock STi will pull on an LS6 is full of it. It's not like it takes mad skills for a "frumaroll" race, and the torque/hp of the ls6 will win that race everytime.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    With some decent radials heated up at the line, a well driven ls6 will be a very close race in the 1/4 with a stage 2 STi.

A stock STi against an ls6, but driven will will result in the STi pulling an immediate lead and keeping it until about 50 yards from the finish. This was common in my experiences at the strip.

Stage 2 STi, it really comes down to 2 items. How well each car is driven, and what tires the Camaro will have on it. With drag radials and a good driver, this will be a good race.

ps...anyone that says a stock STi will pull on an LS6 is full of it. It's not like it takes mad skills for a "frumaroll" race, and the torque/hp of the ls6 will win that race everytime.
    drive my neon once scott. its a handful.
    RayfieldsWRX - "You like the feel of torque steer? Interesting"
    jd92677 - "I like the idea of mashing the gas and not knowing which way the car will go."
    -02 WRX 13.8@96 stock SOLD
    -04 SRT-4 626whp SOLD.
    -04 STi 13.3@102 stock. SOLD
    -04 SRT4 388whp DD SOLD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast